1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i get rid of the black lines at top and bottom?

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by rikismyname1983, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rikismyname1983

rikismyname1983 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    hi, ive got 2 blu-rays beowulf and rattatoui (cant spell it!!)
    when i put them in and play theres black lines at the top and bottom of the screen(coz its widescreen), how do i make it go to full screen?
    i have a 32" hdtv and dvds go full screen on dvd player.
    im sure theres a simple way to do this in the settings of the ps3.
    also when i put a dvd in the ps3 it played the dvd in 4:3!!
    why is this?
    any help will be appriciated. thanks rik.:)
  2. bu5ter

bu5ter Member

Ratings:
    +122
    thats how they are meant to be watched you can change your upscaling setting for the dvds is you like from normal to full i think it is but this wont affect blu rays.

Why would you want to do this anyway you will either cut off some of the screen or distort the image either way its ruining the image
  3. stuart1976

stuart1976 Member

Ratings:
    +183
    A widescreen TV has a ratio of 16:9, which is roughly the same as the film widescreen ratio of 1.78:1. Any movies shot in this ratio will play on a widescreen TV with no black bars.

Films shot with a higher Aspect Ratio - 1.85:1, 2.0:1, 2.35:1 will show black bars, even on a wide screen TV, the bars getting bigger as the ratio increases.

You can use the zoom function or viewing mode on your TV to alter the size of the bars, but you will loose image quality.

This is they way the films were orginally shot so you are seeing the film as the director intended.

On the PS3 make sure you have set the BD/DVD Output to 16:9 and not 4:3 Letterbox.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bribrian

Bribrian Member

Ratings:
    +261
    A tin of white spray paint should do the job but use matt & not gloss as you'll get glare.............:D
  5. ash

ash Member

Ratings:
    +430
    :rotfl:
  6. Mics49

Mics49 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Read this with some interest. Now, I have a slightly different "problem" - if you can call it that. My PS3 (40 UK) is HDMI connected to my Pio434, native resolution 1024x768 = 4:3 pixels even though 16:9 in screen format.
    1) When setting up the PS3 I only have the choice of 4:3 Letterbox or 4:3 Pan&Scan for BD/DVD Output. Having tried both to the same effect the results are:
    2) Pio434 mode is FULL (no black bars) and can't be changed at all when playing a BD, dvd or game.
    3) The PS3 is set to use 720p as max output resolution. But on the Pio it says 750p is displayed though. :confused:
    => Am I doing something wrong here? Should I use different settings? Any advise much appreciated.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho Member

Ratings:
    +269
    To get rid of the black bars on my PS3, I just used Cinema 1 on my Toshiba 37X3030DB which scales the picture to the full width and not beyond, so I don't loose any picture.

Whilst it's not a true representation, it still looks "HD" and I would prefer a 37" (in my case) full screen picture, as opposed to a 33" with black borders picture.

All personal preference of course! :)

Chris.