Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get an extra BT phone socket for a new room?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by SeanyK, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey folks;

I am having SKY HD installed in 3 weeks, however, we have a dilemma;

I am moving rooms, and the room I am moving to does not have a phone socket in.
    I thought sky put a phone socket in, but after speaking to their sales team, they don't.

I called BT who wanted a ridiculous amount of money to fit an extra socket.

Is it easy to add a new socket ourselves? I've changed a faceplate to an ADSL one in my old room which eliminated the need to have filters on our phone connections, and I remember messing with phone wires then... Didn't seem too hard, not easy, but not hard.

It is impossible to run an extension from my current room to my new room, that is for certain (unless I run a wire up the wall, drop it down from the loft into the new room... But not sure about that as i'd prefer my ADSL router to be in the new room, as I like wired ethernet for my PC not wireless.

Any ideas on a solution?

Would the Sky engineer touch the phone box? Or would he just leave a phone wire and say 'up to you to connect this'?
  2. fredsie

fredsie Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The installer will expect to be able to connect the box to a phone line to compete the install.

But if you only need the phone line for the install, just buy a long extension lead and trail it across the floor. Then after the installer's gone home take it out and put it in a cupboard.

You don't need a phone line permanently connected (although Sky do ask you to) unless

- you want to use interactive services like shopping or box office
    - you are having multi-room (in which case you do have to keep the line connected).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. silverfox08

silverfox08 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the best way round your problem (if it's an external wall) would be to drill back through the wall where the phone line comes in behind the faceplate join a new cable onto the back of the faceplate and then run the new cable round to where you want a new socket and drill back into the house and fit a new box.

You will only need to connect up the 2 blue wires if all you will using it for is the sky. If you want to use it for a phone as well then you will need to connect up the orange as well.

let me no if this help or if the wall are internal and i will try and think of another way round it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Fredsie> We have multiroom, also i'd like to use the phone socket in that room for my ADSL modem router as well.

Silverfox> Hiya, yea, I was thinking instead of touching the socket in my current room, as the phone box thing is outside the house on the wall, it's actually not far from the new room, I could run a cable up the house neatly, and into the same hole the sky installer can put the cables through to the room.

If it's 3 cables, then it sounds easy, i'll prob buy another decent faceplate and install it in the new room, although maybe not, as it won't be a master socket...!

Is it easy to connect the cable from the outside phone box? Is it just standard telephone cable?

For example, would this be all I need;

1 x Telephone socket (NTE5? or this below)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=30304&doy=22m7

Telephone cable ;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=66&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15

(just whatever amount ie, 15M or so)

I am assuming it's an 'extension' rather than adding a master socket?

I will then just have to put the convertor/filter on the router plug to make it fit into the normal BT socket...
  5. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. simon194

simon194 Member

Ratings:
    +120
    You are not really allowed to touch anything prior to the telephone master socket which will include the junction box that the drop line is connected to.

If you decide to connect directly to the junction box you should be aware that you will be in breach of your licence to use the phone service and BT may charge if they have to come to rectify a fault caused by your efforts.

Extensions should really come from the master socket.
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,478
    Correct.

Fredsie has the best solution: "if you only need the phone line for the install, just buy a long extension lead and trail it across the floor. Then after the installer's gone home take it out and put it in a cupboard."
  8. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ah ok, I see, sorry I thought it was the master socket you couldn't touch.

In this case, it's looking a lot easier for me to open the master socket, add an extension wire up the wall, into loft, and just drop the cable down into the new room and place a neat socket on the wall.

Only worry with this is;

Will there be any 'lag' using an extension? As I will have my ADSL modem connected to the extension...That NEEDS to be in the new room.
    Does the extension socket support ADSL connections as well?

I have multiroom so it needs to be permanently connected.

Im guessing the distance i'd need, to be as neat as possible, is probably around 15M if that... It would mean a wire across the loft floor but needs must.

Im happy to pay extra for decent cable of course.
  9. Jon_P

Jon_P Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Ideally you want to minimise the length and number of connections on any ADSL connected socket to maximise the signal and thus maximise the speed of your connection. The fact that you say you put an ADSL faceplate on your extension to eliminate filters on your phones suggests that no phones are connected to the master socket.. otherwise they would still need a filter as most adsl faceplates i know of are intended to be used on the master socket. This website http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/index.php has some details of extension filter sockets and replacement faceplates for master sockets (don't touch the BT wires behind the faceplate!!).

If you're planning on adding a new socket, you're best to run it from the non filtered master socket directly to your new room and then use a pre-filtered socket in your room, if you use a filtered faceplate on your master socket, you'll need to run 2 long cables to your new room - 1 for phone, 1 for modem.
    You must connect your adsl modem up to the non filtered wire otherwise you'll not have a net connection! All other phones that are connected from the master socket and aren't hooked upto a filtered socket will still require the use of a filter though.

Something like this might do the trick from the master socket, just plug it into the front! I haven't used so can't recommend it though

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=97677&doy=23m7

As to sky not adding sockets, thats right, they don't add sockets, but when i had sky installed they ran an incredibly long cable for an extension. They fitted an BT extension adapter onto one end of the cable, and the other end was just RJ-11 (Modem plug)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. 12 promises

12 promises Member

Ratings:
    +72
    just use a wireless phonrline extender from maplins.costs about £40 and i believe that this is the system bt uses when they install their vision box.