Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I format 500GB disk to FAT32 for apple tv

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by ps burley, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ps burley

ps burley Member

Ratings:
    +2
    looking to use a extenal HDD thats NTFS with ATVFlash, I believe I need to format to FAT 32 but I cant in windows. How do I do this (novice).
    Also I thought max file size on FAT32 was 4gb...thats not enough for a DVD move? HELP PLEASE
  2. Madrichie

Madrichie Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. ps burley

ps burley Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks but tried that and its not compatable with WIN 7 looks like only XP..HELP
  4. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Partion Magic will do it and works with windows 7 as i'm using it myself.
  5. ps burley

ps burley Member

Ratings:
    +2
    couls i use swisnife on a windows XP machine then use with my windows 7 mnachine after formatted to FAT32
  6. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    FAT32 should show as a format choice on external USB drives in Windows 7 format tool. It defaults to exFAT but the drop down box should have FAT32.

You can use this program to format FAT32 hard drives under windows.

However given the limitation of FAT32 you may want to look as using the Apple HFS+ file system instead which is supported by the ATV. To format a drive with HFS+ under Windows and read the drive you need to use MacDrive.

If you dont need to access the USB hard drive again from Windows you can use the free Gparted tool to format it with HFS+.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. ps burley

ps burley Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for that reply...i thought i had to use fat32 withatvflash. i note the software you mention has to be purchased, most of my dvd's have vob files less than th 4gb max under fat32 but some are larger...not sure if its worth me laying out money. also from time to time i will want to connect the ext hdd to my widows 7 pc to update,,,,,so this is important to me...whats my best option?? as i say i am new to this....
  8. broona

broona Moderator

Ratings:
    +367
  9. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Option 1: Hack the ATV to play VIDEO_TS DVD folders so none of the files are over 4GB so you can format the hard drive with FAT32, aTVflash should enable VIDEO_TS playback.

Option 2: Convert the DVD's into H.264 MP4 using Handbrake and its Apple TV profile, you can use FAT32.

Option 3: Purchase the the MacDrive application (try the demo version) if it formats the hard drive with HFS+ properly and the ATV can read it then you can rip the movies in whatever format you like that are supported by the ATV with no size restrictions.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009