1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I connect 4 TV's to one aerial

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by D Jones, Jan 18, 2010.

1. D Jones

D Jones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me what I need to do to connect 4 TV's to one external aerial to receive Freeview on all the TV's.

I currently have an old aerial up on the roof that inputs into one Sky+HD box downstairs that is connected to a HDTV.

Judging by the age of the aerial (20+ years old) I would think that this needs to be replaced to receive Freeview on this TV (and then get shot of Sky+HD).

I have bought another HDTV that is in my son's games room and I also have 2 portables that I want to connect up to the same aerial to receive Freeview on all of the 4 TV's. All of the TV's have Freeview built in.

Can someone explain what I need to purchase and how I need to connect them up as I don't think 4 antenna's is the way to go.....

Many thanks.
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Any special reason for putting the aerial into the HD receiver, not direct into the TV?
    A new aerial and a powered signal splitter looks like the way to go.
  3. D Jones

D Jones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

That's the way the Sky engineer connected it up.

So with the powered signal splitter, what cost is it (roughly) ?

Is this something that I need to leave switched on all the time or only when I need to use more that 1 TV?

Is there any specific type of aerial that I need to buy?
  4. millsey1380

millsey1380 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello there what you could do with is a masthead amplifier with power supply depending on how strong your signal is a proception one or a vision one would be ok you can get them with upto about 5 outputs,but dont lose the sky system as that can still pick up over 100 channels with no card in it.

Gary c.a.i plus member
  5. millsey1380

millsey1380 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    check this link for prices Vision V21-2406 2 x 4 Way External Distribution Amplifier With Pre-amplifier - DASTV.co.uk
  6. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Vision 4 Way Variable masthead Amp & PSU - DASTV.co.uk would be adequate for the four outlets required.

There are other makes that will do a similar job as well.

S/He'll also need a lot of WF100 cable, a box of cable clips and a bunch of screw on F-plugs, too.... A separate cable from the masthead amp to each room outlet will be needed. The amp needs mounting near the aerial (outside). IF the existing cable is good quality it may be re-used for the lounge feed - but it may be better to replace it.

The power supply connects to one of the downleads in one room and will need to be on permanently (they are designed to be run that way and only consume a few watts of electricity).
  7. bruff

bruff Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I'm not an expert on these things, but my chimney mounted aerial is at least 25 years old. From the aerial, standard co-ax cable runs under the tiles to a 6 way amplifier in my loft (which is powered on 24/7). From the amplifier, standard co-ax cable runs to 5 TVs in various rooms in the house, 2 on the ground floor so the cable runs are quite long. All provide perfectly good Freeview.

I'm sure the experts will frown, but hey, it works!
  8. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Not at all. This is a perfectly sound and correct way to do it.

If you were doing it today you'd use WF100 cable but back then CT100 was pretty 'new' and rather pricey iirc.
  9. D Jones

D Jones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, very useful info.

One more question though - should I still replace my aerial? If so, what type should I be looking at?

Many thanks