Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change the RF channel?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Bravo2zero_sps, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My Freeview picture has died recently and I assume its to do with the high pressure weather. Anyway I decided to have a look in the menu to see any settings. There is a signal check so did this and found that if I go to RF channel 42 the signal is perfect. However its only a check. I can't seem to find anywhere to change which RF channel the box uses to get its signal. I have tried both my boxes and get the same issue :(

They are a Pioneer dbr-tf 1000 and Pioneer DBR-T210gbp. Does anyone know how to force the box to use a different RF channel to the default?

I have gone to the installation menu and the signal check and found that ch42 is 100% signal. However if I go to TV setup it says the rf output channel is 38. The ch in the signal check though is 24 which seems to be what its set at. I can not work out why I can not get any of the channels to be the same and select 42 and make it use ch42! Please someone help! TIA :)
  2. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,566
    The RF output channel has nothing to do with your poor reception...you are confusing the channels used for Freeview broadcasting in your area and the RF output Channel (which in your case is CH38) is the channel which the digibox is set at to broadcast to your TV.
    The Freeview channels are broadcast in groups called "MUXES" and you simply...as you have discovered got a poor signal across some of them which may or may not be caused by the weather...the only way to improve your signal generally is to get a better aerial installation.
  3. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your reply. How is it then if I do a signal test and change the RF channel to a different channel the signal quality is 100% no matter which TV station its showing? Why is the digibox not using that channel to display the picture? its not that some tv stations were ok and others weren't all of a sudden the signal had died and no channels were watchable. When I went into settings and did a signal check and changed to a new RF channel the signal jumped from 3% to 100%. I just wanted the digibox to use the RF channel that showed 100% in the signal test.
  4. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Try rescanning the box...it may have had a software glitch and is tuned to the wrong transmitter.
  5. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Rescanned several times last night before posting up. Didn't make a bit of difference. The strange thing was the box was originally set to rf channel 59. I did a hardware reset back to default and it then started using ch24 but this wasn't any good either. I did another hardware reset and it still came up with using rf channel 24. Why isn't it using the strongest signal rf channel? What is the point of having a signal check where you can check all the rf channels between 21 and 69 if you can't set it to use the one that comes up with 100% signal. Shows there is nothing wrong with my aerial or the box itself if I can get 100% signal quality and the picture did look amazing. It was like this with both boxes though, neither of them would allow you to set the rf channel to the one you wanted :suicide:
  6. Bob Staines

Bob Staines Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The RF is only the output from your freeview box to your tv ( if using areil lead) they allow you to change it if it is too near another analogue station on your tv tuner which can cause interferance .
  7. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks, so what is the rf channel signal check for if you then can not change the channel to use the one that gives the best signal? Its just a tease as I can find an rf channel with 100% signal quality but I can't use it!
  8. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,064
    I think you're getting confused between two issues here.

Your signal strength meters in your digibox will tell you the strength and/or quality of the UHF channels (aka frequencies) which are used by your transmitter and received by your box and aerial for Freeview. There are six of these from any given transmitter, and you can't change what they are. So you can't change which ones your digibox uses to receive. Each of these six is a multiplex and contains several digital programmes.

When you change channels on your strength meter in your digibox, you should only get any meaningful value on six of the channels between 21 and 68*. On all of the rest you should get nothing. If you don't get (at least*) six good ones, then you need to find out why your reception isn't as good as it should be. To find out which UHF numbers to use, find your local transmitter here.

Now the other, separate issue is, what UHF channel (aka frequency) does your digibox use to "add" its output to the normal analogue transmissions that go into the standard tuner on your TV. This, you can alter.

One possible reason why just one of the six received multiplexes (UHF channels/frequencies) is bad is that the UHF added output is set to the same UHF Channel number as one of the multiplexes. In such cases, they can interfere with one another. This is why you might need to change it.

-------------------------

* If you get more than six, you're getting Freeview from more than one transmitter. In which case, your digibox will either save the best/strongest of each (in which case there's little you can do to change it), or it will save the extra programmes (duplicates) with odd, high, channel numbers (like 800......) (in which case you could delete and/or resort so that your chosen ones appear where they should).
  9. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for that explanation although some of its a little over my head. I understand rf ch 38 is what is sending the signal from my digibox to the tv. I now understand I should find 6 rf channels with a good reception when I do a signal check. I didn't realise this so last night I was just looking for the best single channel thinking that was what the digibox should be using to get its reception. I don't remember finding 6 good channels, 4 or 5 seems more like it with only 2 of those having 80-100% signal quality, the others were low 20's to 40's. I will have another look again tonight.

The other strange thing was that when I was changing the boxes over, I put the original box back in and all of a sudden it has started showing the channels again. Now I can only presume this is because it was powered off for a certain amount of time and has reset its connection with a local transmitter? When I did power off and power on it made no difference but when it was powered off for about 10 minutes it appears to have fixed the issue. Is that a possibility/common issue?
  10. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,566
    You may have aerial/reception issues...it could also be work/maintainence going on at whatever transmitter you're tuned to.
  11. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK well thanks for all the help, i'll check it again tonight. I'm only worried about it for tomorow night as I want ITV2 working for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation :D
  12. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK having checked I have 6 rf channels that get a signal. However 5 of them are up around 80% quality or better but the sixth is anything between 20% and 40% and shows as a poor signal :(

Is the only fix for this a new aerial? My current aerial is an indoor one located in the loft which was put in when the house was built 20 odd years ago. I take it a new aerial put externally would be much better quality than a 20 year old loft mounted one?

In fact re reading the above it could be interference between the one bad channel and the rf channel that the box sends to my TV? It seems strange that 5 of the 6 are amazingly good quality but one rf channel is very poor.

However the rf channel that is bad is ch24. The digibox says it sends to the TV on ch38. Is this relevant?
  13. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Yes, it would make a vast difference.

No, completely irrelevant...the channels are spaced more than 3 Chans apart...interference is caused if they are closer than this.
    You have a dip in your signal around CH24 so possibly a wideband aerial would be best.
  14. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for all your help/advice. I will have to find an aerial fitter and get some quotes. I bet they don't come cheap! Been watching it tonight and have CH4 on via the freeview and 99% of the time its fine now but gets the occasional freeze/picture pixelation.
  15. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,566
    I know It's frustrating...the thing is all these weak signal problems will disappear overnight when analogue is switched off and the digital signals are boosted tenfold.
    Anyway good luck with it and let us know the outcome.:thumbsup: