how can i transfer SKY+ recording to my computer.

Good to hear you took it up with them and got the service arranged so quickly - hope that's free though?
The telephone connection shouldn't cause any problem, and that has nothing to do with Anytime anyway, so what actually is the problem - the noise - that first caused concern about the machine being about to fail?

I have connected my VCR recorder to my sky+ box and when I try to record I get a blue screen.

Scart out (sky) to Scart in (VCR) I can hear sound but no picture.

Plug your Scart in fully.

Scart lead not fully wired, or only one-way and wrong way, or just faulty, or even (S N:thumbsup:) just loose?

I was thinking the faulty route. But it's straight out the box. Admittedly I got the the sky 2+ years go and never used that scart. How can the Scart be the wrong way around?

I have decided to just take the hard drive out the old box and convert the files on my pc. I can't asked. I can only get 0.99 on eBay so I may as well do that.

I don't understand those comments at all.:confused:
From the previous post, what is it that's "straight out the box" - the VCR? - the Scart?
A fully wired Scart can take audio and video in both directions.
A partly wired one works in only one direction, and can therefore be plugged in the wrong way round.
In this case, if it's not fully wired, it should be its Output to Sky machine VCR Scart socket, its Input to a VCR Scart In socket, and on the VCR the Input setting that relates to that socket.
Some Scarts have a switch to specify which plug is Input and which is Output.
They're all awkward things and can easily be not seated properly in their sockets.

I have decided to just take the hard drive out the old box and convert the files on my pc. I can't asked. I can only get 0.99 on eBay so I may as well do that.

Unless they are recordings from FTA unencrypted channels only, you will not be able to do that. The only software around that will extract any recordings from a Sky box will only do so for FTA recordings - copy+ with extract+ for SD Sky+ and Thomson HD+ PVRs and ExPVR for all other HD+ PVRs.

logiciel said:
From the previous post, what is it that's "straight out the box" - the VCR? - the Scart?
A partly wired one works in only one direction, and can therefore be plugged in the wrong way round.
In this case, if it's not fully wired, it should be its Output to Sky machine VCR Scart socket, its Input to a VCR Scart In socket, and on the VCR the Input setting that relates to that socket.
They're all awkward things and can easily be not seated properly in their sockets.

Sorry. It is scart that I think is faulty. Scart is out the box. It's just that it's been in the box in my attic for 2+ years . I will look to see if it is wired one way. Thanks for advice.

davemurgatroyd2 said:
Unless they are recordings from FTA unencrypted channels only, you will not be able to do that. The only software around that will extract any recordings from a Sky box will only do so for FTA recordings - copy+ with extract+ for SD Sky+ and Thomson HD+ PVRs and ExPVR for all other HD+ PVRs.

No the recorded channels are not from ppv or sports or anything like that.

All those abbreviations. Not sure what they mean. Are you talking about the hard drives in the boxes? PVRS? ExPVR? HD+PVRs?

Please can you breakdown the above comment you made? I am sure it will be helpful if I understand it. Thanks

No the recorded channels are not from ppv or sports or anything like that.

All those abbreviations. Not sure what they mean. Are you talking about the hard drives in the boxes? PVRS? ExPVR? HD+PVRs?

Please can you breakdown the above comment you made? I am sure it will be helpful if I understand it. Thanks

Are the recordings from the FTA (Free to Air) channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and some others) or are they from encrypted FTV (Free to View - like 5*, 5 USA and some others were a couple of months ago) or subscription channels (Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Discovery etc). Only FTA channel recordings can be extracted to play on anything other than a Sky box - if you needed a viewing card in the Sky box to view the channels then they were encrypted and not FTA. So what channels were they from?

PVR is a Personal Video Recorder - Sky+, Sky+ HD etc

ExPVR, copy+ and extract+ are software programmes (Google them) that are the only ones that allow copying and/or extraction of recordings from Sky HDD. No other software progframmes will handle the file structure used on Sky HDD so don't even bother attempting to use anything else on a PC.

Last edited:
The Copy+ and Extract+ programs are for copying free programmes from an Sky+ SD machine or from a Thomson Sky+ HD machine.
ExPVR is the program for all other Sky+ HD machines.

The Copy+ and Extract+ programs are for copying free programmes from an Sky+ SD machine or from a Thomson Sky+ HD machine.
ExPVR is the program for all other Sky+ HD machines.

Thanks

Makes perfect sense.

From Sky's web site via Google:-

Copying recordings to VHS tape or to a DVD

If you're running out of space on your Sky+ box's hard disk, you can copy recorded programmes you want to save onto video tape or DVD. While you're making copies you can watch the programme being copied but you can't watch another programme.

Press tv guide on your Sky remote control followed by the green button to access your planner.
Use the up/down arrows to highlight the programme you want to copy.
Press the right arrow - you should see the Copy option at the bottom of the screen.
Press the red button. You can select as many programmes as you like for copying.
When you’ve made your selections, press select.
Press record on your video/DVD recorder, followed by select on your Sky remote control.

From Sky's web site via Google:-

Any reason why you've copied and pasted the above? Everybody who has contributed to this thread knows how to connect a DVDR or VCR to their Sky box and archive to DVD or tape that way. And it doesn't involve the Copy option which you have mentioned.

This thread was created by people asking how to archive to computer, not to DVD or tape.

I finally got ExPVR to work. Amazing bit of software. I would recommend the latest version. It has really simplified the copying/upgrading process.

Hi Broadz
I posted it because to my mind it's the easy way to get the files in a viewable format (whether FTA or Pay to view) onto disc whose files can then be transferred to PC.

If you want to keep the tape or disc as well as the computer recording then that's fine, but otherwise you simply record direct to the computer.

Fully wired means it has connections for RGB/S-Video unidirectional transfer. I have never seen a cable that does not have composite in/out and stereo audio in/out (6 pins ). You only need a fully wired cable if you want to record RGB or S-Video. There is no specific way to connect any scart cable unless you start cutting the auto scart/WS pin. Adaptors have switches merely because they use a single socket for in and out.

Look at the spec here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

You can see that S-Video, RGB or component can't co-exist because they use the same pins for different functions. Composite in/out are dedicated as are the stereo audio connections (Composite is used to provide the sync for RGB)

Last edited:
Yes, I know what fully wired really means, with the full pin-out, but I was using the expression in contrast to one or two cables that HAVE been reported in which there were only the three cables required for video and l/r audio to pass one way.

Yes, I know what fully wired really means, with the full pin-out, but I was using the expression in contrast to one or two cables that HAVE been reported in which there were only the three cables required for video and l/r audio to pass one way.

I don't believe such a cable ever existed fully wired or not :eek:

Have you ever seen a scart cable with an in and out plug. I certainly have not. They would be totally non-compliant with the original peritel scart spec before the extras like RGB, S-Video and Component capability was bolted on.

No I haven't - but as I said "one or two....have been reported" here on the forum.

That's what the Search button is for.;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom