1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i overclock my q6600 with a striker mobo

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by abs, Dec 17, 2007.

1. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Razor has been kindly assisting me via pm as he has a similar set up to mine apart from mobo. my set up is as follows,

asus striker extreme mobo bios 1303,
    quad q6600 GO stepping version,
    crucial ballistic ddr2 8500 4gb
    xfx 8800 gtx
    akasa 1000w psu

so far i've managed to overclock using the AI overclocking in the bios to 15% giving me a cpu clock speed of 2754. if i increase to 20% the pc will will not boot into windows and just hangs on the ASUS Striker screen, had to clear the cmos and lower to 15%. Razor has got his up to 3.0ghz, with a fsb of 333 and increasing his vcore slightly my vcore is at 1.216 on cpu_z and bus at 306.7. he also suggested i increase my memory volt to 2.2. the only thing i dont know how to do is changing the fsb to 333? can anyone with a striker guide me and also explain why i can't go to 20% ? thanks
  2. booyaka

booyaka Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,048
    don't know the motherboard directly that you are talking about but the ballsitix modules you have are rated for 2.2volts. Generally your motherboard will default to 1.8v or so.

You therefore may need to increase the voltage to the ram and also a slight increase in the vcore as well.

Also - don;t use any overclocking tools via windows etc - change the actual manual settings in the bios yourself and test for stablilty.

It will take a fair bit of time to get things stable - i have my Quad @ 3.15ghz 8hrs prime stable but it took probably 50 reboots and testing over a number of evenings to get to that stage.
  3. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    thanks for the reply, how do i change the fsb to 333 in the bios?
  4. RSRAVI

RSRAVI Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Abs,

you will only get that option if you set the extreme tweeking to manual setting then you will see the option for FSB...

Then you should be able to type in the figure you want......

make sure you save and exit it ........hope that helps.......

you must turn off AI overclocking .......

also depending on your system you should be able to go to fsb 366 and 370......if your brave 377..............
    on air cooling any higer you will need water cooling,,,,,

I take it you are not using standard cpu cooler are................intel stock one.....
  5. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Hi Ravi, good to hear from you, i'm running on a stock cooler. if i recall my fsb wont allow me to go below 500 (i think) in the bios or am i looking in the wrong place?
  6. booyaka

booyaka Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,048
    that's probably true but to get your system stable etc start with around 333 and check stability and then gradually increase by increments of 10 or so.

You bios should have some options somewhere to change multipier, fsb voltages etc - on the gigabyte boards it called MIT - motherboard intelligent tweaker in the bios options menu.
  7. RSRAVI

RSRAVI Member

Ratings:
    +55
    HI i see you have gone into pc's now ......not messing with av any more.....

any way...becarefull on stock cooler not the best cpu will heat up .......

use this to check temps

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

have you set the overclocking to manual ....yet ....
    then only will you see that option........
    I cant seem to download the manual for your borad ,trying to see if its the same as mine.......

you should be able to set it to what you want...........

think your in the wrong area mate......

SOME pics below mate that is what you are looking for in the bios hope that helps

Attached Files:

8. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108

hi mate, yeah into all sorts nowadays, changed the 7100es to the onkyo 905 so still into my av gear as well. thanks for the screenshots, it looks identical to my bios screen. i've set to manual, the second screenshot for fsb and memory config, i've gone into the fsb and it allows me to enter from 533 upto 1000 , i've tried to input 333 but it wont let me. my board is the asus striker extreme. multiplier at x 9, cpu_z has my bus reading at 306.7 and my vcore at 1.216v.
  9. RSRAVI

RSRAVI Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi mate ok on the bios you need to unlink the memory and fsb....

read below

""""Next on the list is the FSB and Memory config menu. This is where the action is. Being nVidia 680i based, you can overclock the FSB and memory independent of each other or asynchronously, as it is known. To do this you need to set the FSB – Memory clock mode to “Unlinked”, this then allows you to change the FSB and memory clock at different rates to each other, a truly overclocking friendly feature we which the rest of the chipset makers would follow. ATI has done it to some extent, but not quite like nVidia has.""""

Rather than the old “200MHz FSB”, it is expressed as 800MHz QDR, ASUS allows from 533MHz (133MHz FSB) to 3000MHz (750MHz FSB) in 1MHz increments, a generous setting range indeed.
    The memory is also expressed in terms of DDR speed so rather than 400MHz you get 800MHz - you can set from (200MHz) 400MHz DDR to a max of (1300MHz) 2600MHz DDR in 1MHz increments, giving you plenty of room to push your memory a long, long way.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1036/5/page_5_bios_and_overclocking/index.html

read link it will help mate thanks
  10. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    as per the above comment, the fsb setting is from 533 to 3000mhz, wont allow me to go below 333. how do i set at 333 fsb?
  11. tinners

tinners Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Looks like Asus rewrote the book on overclocking there :)
    i.e. 333 = 1332 in Quad Data Rate terms, so you should set it at 1332.
  12. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    cheers mate i'll give that a shot:thumbsup:
  13. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108

set it to 1332 as above in unlinked mode, not changed any other figures wouldn't boot to windows. i cannot see it saying 333 fsb anywhere when set to 1332 :(. do i need to set the ratio that is currently on auto?
  14. RSRAVI

RSRAVI Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi mate,

Your bios might be the issue.....from what am reading

this borad is not the best to OC Quad CPC...sorry to say.....

but again be carfull with out decent cooling ............u might burn the CPU......

look here bios 1301 seems the best.....

Asus Striker Extreme 1301bios
    Q6600 L724A 3712mhz 412*9 1.50v

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159457

hope this helps.......
  15. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    thanks for all your help guys got it running at 3.0ghz after setting the fsb qdr to 1332 unlinked as suggested previously ran 3D mark got a very respectable 13900 at 1280x720 default setting. :clap:
  16. insomniak123

insomniak123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    what did you get before you OC'ed?
  17. Canti1982

Canti1982 Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The Striker board does not like overclocking with quad cores, its a known issue. My friend swapped his one for an EVGA board and that overclocked without any trouble.

If you have managed to get it to boot I would strongly recomend runing a program called prime95, this will stress your system and see if its stable. Run that for a few hours to make sure its all working fine.

Running a quad core with a stock cooler is not the best idea as it will probably get hot fairly quickly and not get the most out of your cpu. I would suggest getting a good cooler such as the arcic cooling freezer 7 pro or my favourite the tuniq tower. A good cooler should allow you to run it up to 3.6ghz depending on the rest of your hardware.
  18. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    about the 10k mark at 2.4 cpu
  19. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    thanks mate, so far running well at 3.0 all temps normal, in prime 95 are there any settings i need to select for running the stress test on all cores?
  20. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Ravi, i tried setting the fsb to 366 as above, rebooted fine cpu at 3.3 tried running 3D Mark and it locked up:(, i even increased the vcore to about 1.4v, the temps all seemed fine as well , i've seen other go up to 3.6 on their q6600 but with adequate cooling etc, any ideas why i can't get stable beyond 333 fsb?
  21. RSRAVI

RSRAVI Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi mate,

It depends on bios too and cpu some people have good luck some have not.............

some people find striker good some dont ,..you just need to play with the settings......

am using both asus boards Asus Maximus Formula Intel SE X38 and
    Asus Blitz Formula Special Edition

I have found the Maximus Formula OC the Q6600 way easy ......

just changing one setting on the board CPU Level up takes me to 3.5MHZ

eveything on auto nice and easy .......have to play more thou.........

its all about the settings ,but you need to get a decent cooler first............

before you try anything else.......it might be over heating .............

I have the same issue with the blitz cant go above 3mhz stable......
    i can boot in with 3.3mhz....but not stable....at the moment........

have a play mate...........might be ram..........

take care