Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get Virgin in the other rooms?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Forum' started by deeryme, Nov 2, 2011.

1. deeryme

deeryme Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - Hope you can shed some light.. I have just moved house and I have no idea where to start..

Okay, my set up at the moment is:
    - I have a Virgin V+ box in my living room
    - I have a second old Virgin box with the AVout thing (?) in my master bedroom, that Virgin came and set up both when we first moved in
    - In my loft I have an amplifier that has ariels leading off to every other room, I have tried to connect these ariels to a normal tv and don't get a signal, maybe something to do with the switch over?

What I would like is in my kitchen to have the Virgin tv on for the kids, I am not bothered about making it change the channel, just want to drag them from the living room to eat their dinner:) and maybe the same in their bedroom..

I have been trying to figure this out but still unclear, I read in another thread that I can get something if I connect to the AVout connection - anyone know if this will work and if so do i just connect the brown ariel that i have in that room to that connection and that's it or, do I need another type of cable? Or do I need to run a splitter off the virgin cable and run it straight into the loft amplifier thing?

Sorry for my ignorance, if i can save myself some pennies and do it myself i will be over the moon?

Thanks for your time, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Virgin boxes are registered with the distribution computers so you have to have a "live" one, which is why you do not see them secondhand. You often have to pay an extra subscription for a further box but I suspect they may have waived it when you got the V+ box. Is the one in your bedroom still working as it is not clear which of the boxes you want to send a signal from?
  3. deeryme

deeryme Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - both boxes are working, I had the last one only in my old house and when i moved Virgin reinstalled and offered me the latest box (in my living room) to upgrade plus keep my old box (in my bedroom) for another room on one their deals, so both are cool.
    For signal, whatever box is easiest...
    Thanks for your reply
  4. bamber1981

bamber1981 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    As no-one else has answered your query, I shall have a go.

First, when you say "normal" TV, do you mean a digital one, rather than an old analogue only TV? Second, have you moved to an area which is covered by a different terrestrial TV transmitter? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you probably just need to rescan the digital channels on your TV for it to work with the aerial in your new house.

You can buy a UHF modulator which will create a signal from the V+ box to feed into your aerial system, but you will need to rearrange the wiring. The aerial lead which comes into your living room will be connected to one of the outputs on the amplifier in the loft. Assuming that you do not need to connect that lead to the TV in your living room (because you use the V+) then plug it into the UHF modulator and swap the other end of the lead (in the loft) from one of the outputs on the amplifier to one of the inputs (hopefully it will have more than one input). That will then feed the V+ signal to all of the other rooms. The UHF modulator will allow you to select which UHF channel to use (in the range 21 to 69) and you may have to experiment to find one which does not interfere with the digital signals being picked up by the aerial on your roof. Each time you try a channel, you will need to tune the analogue tuner on your kitchen TV to the same channel number in order to see a picture.

Bear in mind that this solution is not future-proof. When you need to replace the TV in the kitchen, the replacement is likely to be digital only, so your UHF modulator would be useless. An alternative solution is to buy a wireless video sender, which has two units: a transmitter to connect to the SCART on the V+ and a receiver to connect to the SCART on the kitchen TV. Wireless systems are, however, prone to interference from other electrical appliances (particularly microwaves) and even people walking around the house.

The best long-term solution is to connect the HDMI output on the V+ to an HDMI distribution amplifier and run HDMI leads to the other rooms, but that would probably require drilling holes in the walls to pass the leads through. It also needs all of the TVs in other rooms to be HD, or they will not have HDMI sockets. Long HDMI leads are a lot cheaper than they used to be, so you should be able to buy all of the necessary equipment for £100 or less.
  5. Bagpuss12

Bagpuss12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I had a similar requirement where I have Tivo in my living room and another V+HD box in my bedroom. I also have a TV with built in Freeview in my kitchen but I wanted the Virgin signal sending to the kitchen. The cheapest way I did this was to run a normal co-ax length of cable from my Tivo to the kitchen TV. I then bought a Scart to RF modulator which you plug into the VCR scart on a V+ box. There is then another 'in' socket into which I connected my roof aerial. This modulator then converts the scart signal into an RF signal and sends its throught the co-ax you've laid. By plugging both the Scart and the rof aerial in this will also provide a signal for the built in Freeview if you need that.
    Altogether that set up cost me £30 for a company to run me a wire over my house from the front room into the dining room and then around £10-£15 for a scart to RF modulator off Amazon.
    I appreciate however that you have a system in your loft which I do not and I wasn't trying to feed as many TV's but that's the simplest way.