Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bizare

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by neilbennett, Nov 1, 2000.

1. neilbennett

neilbennett Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of posting a message today asking if a Speakers forum was in the pipeline. Ta da as if by magic one appears.

So lets get this one started.

I currently have a Yamaha YST 90 sub, I was wondering what difference a REL or something that is two or three times the price of the Yamaha would be. Also is there any benefit in having two (or more) subs in a set up?
  2. Mad Max

Mad Max Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi neilbennett,

I personally don't have 2 subs (Actually, I might be buying my first today), but I've been reading a lot, and a lot of people seem to agree that two subs fill better a room than one.

The same peolpe also seem to agree about the dificulty of ideal placement, in order for the two subs not "anulating" eachother's effect.

If I buy the Sub today, it will be a REL Q100E [​IMG]

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui
  3. HT Dude

HT Dude Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The REL subs are in a different league. What, out of interest are the specs on the Yamaha (quoted lower frequency, cut-off frequencies, power etc)?
    A REL Q100e, for example, should be much better.
  4. neilbennett

neilbennett Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Spec of the Yamaha 90 are as follows,

Driver 20cm
    High Cut Filter 50 - 150Hz variable
    Output 100w
    Frequency Response 23-170 Hz (–10 dB)

Neil

5. HT Dude

HT Dude Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually that's not a bad spec if it goes down flat to 23Hz.
    Still REL subs are very popular with very good reason. It's likely that the unseen electrical elements of a REL sub will be far superior to the mass-market electronic components in subs like the Yam. Chances are the filter, amp, protection and power supply components are better. But that's just a guess based on what I've seen about REL construction.
    Try it and a REL side by side and let us know what you think.
  6. simonsez

simonsez Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who is interested the Yamaha spec. 23-170Hz (-10db) is accurate, but does not tell the whole story. It would not be flat to 23Hz, that is the lowest frequency it can produce at -10db. What that means is at 23Hz it will produce less than 1/3 the SPL it would produce at...say 60Hz.
    I would imagine the real world performance would be somthing like flat to 50Hz and severe rolloff below 40Hz. I suggest looking on the Yamaha website, they may have a graph showing the performance of this sub.
    If you are taking votes, I vote for the Rel. You may also want to take a look at Paradigm,Definitive,Velodyne as they also manufacture good quality, budget minded subs.
  7. Matt F

Matt F Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If we're voting on the best subs then we mustn't forget M&K who arguably make the best subs known to man, albeit at a price.

Having said that, their cheapest model (the VX7 MKII) is supposed to be very good and is very small too - might be worth comparing that one against the Q100.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!
  8. Reiner

Reiner Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Compare Monitor Audio ASW110 against the REL Q100E if you can, IMHO a worthy alternative with a small footprint and fast yet tight bass.