'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room

Which ones do you think are most suitable?

I think they are listed on about pg 9 of this thread. In short, black self adhesive edge seal and then Norsound810 drop down seal.

Some pictures of the room, as it currently stands. Hard to get decent shots as it is so dark. With the lights off, there is no light in the room and you can't see your hand in front of your face. The only reflections from the screen are from the matt black side walls and door. The carpet and ceiling aren't visible. I do get a reflection of the 3 downlights above the screen, but hopefully when I can lower my screen further that'll be less obvious.

We planed the door down and got it fitted at the weekend. I've used another roll of cinema self adhesive black out felt to cover the rear wall and I'm pleased with how that now looks.

Screen is a 100" 16:9 Spitfire screen but there are still some issues with tension lines on the screen, which I'm trying to resolve. Only see them on very bright scenes but Id still like to get it resolved. I've got myself a U-MIC and Mic stand so can start playing with REW. I need to mark reflection points and start playing with acoustic panels.

DSC02173.JPG
DSC02180.JPG

Cab still needs a tidy and need to add radiator cover. Down the line I want to...

Upgrade projector
Upgrade side surrounds to MK IW150t
Upgrade screen
2 new sealed black subs (Current white V12 is under a sheet of MVEL at the front)
Maybe add a Power amp

Last edited:
I think they are listed on about pg 9 of this thread. In short, black self adhesive edge seal and then Norsound810 drop down seal.
Hi Matt. When using the edge seal and drop down seal, do you know if the door should first be fitted as standard, with the normal size gaps between the door and the frame, and also between the door and the floor. And then the sound-proofing products added afterwards?

Not sure mate. There are a couple of people who responded in my thread who had fitted them who may be able to advise. I believe you would do though, so that’s what I’ve planned.

I’m no expert, but intend to fit this sort of drop down seal on my door (fire door) once I get the flooring (carpet) down in the room and threshold sorted. Carpenter will do this for me. Decided on this from research on here and elsewhere.

The door frame has smoke seals fitted, or will be. I intend to add something like this for the perimeter, additionally.

Spent a couple of hours with @mb3195 showing me around REW. Can't thank him enough for his time and expertise; it's been invaluable.

We took measurements with the existing MK V12 subwoofer in 9 different locations and compared the responses. Aim was to find the best position whilst running one subwoofer and what the best response was by adding a second.

This is the sub in it's existing position with no eq. (Hope the axis etc. are ok -_-)

Img1.jpg

Adding the measurements for the sub in the right rear corner location and averaging the results gives this. (Still no eq)

img2.jpg

So, that's the plan, as and when funds allow. Also adjusted timings and roll off top end.

I'm really keen to start adding some panels to tame some of the reflections.

Need to watch some familiar material now but screen currently on the floor trying to sort out tension marks! Away for a couple of days now, so will play when I come back.

Spent a couple of hours with @mb3195 showing me around REW. Can't thank him enough for his time and expertise; it's been invaluable.

We took measurements with the existing MK V12 subwoofer in 9 different locations and compared the responses. Aim was to find the best position whilst running one subwoofer and what the best response was by adding a second.

This is the sub in it's existing position with no eq. (Hope the axis etc. are ok -_-)

View attachment 1522730

Adding the measurements for the sub in the right rear corner location and averaging the results gives this. (Still no eq)

View attachment 1522731

So, that's the plan, as and when funds allow. Also adjusted timings and roll off top end.

I'm really keen to start adding some panels to tame some of the reflections.

Need to watch some familiar material now but screen currently on the floor trying to sort out tension marks! Away for a couple of days now, so will play when I come back.

How`s that V12 sounding there? Are you close making your mind up what you going for next? :) Just looked the price hike of M&K stuff, V12 now costing 1400£. Crazy! Not that it would be poor product in any way, just that there is lot of competition that offers more for similar ££.

A recent observation.

I often find the sound quite front heavy at the moment, losing that 'bubble' of sound. Fairly sure this is due to my surrounds sitting forward of 90 degrees (which was meant to help panning from LCR to surrounds). It's more noticeable on some films than others, I guess those with a fairly active 7.1 mix sound better. Pulling seating a little further off back wall does completely resolve this but means I'm a little more limited on screen size.

This is the biggest issue with in wall speakers, as my surrounds are now stuck where they are. It may be that when I swap these Monitor Audio RX1 for MK Tripoles, I'll get much better envelopment. If not, then I'll either have to bring seating slightly forward, or change to on walls and move the speakers backwards.

How`s that V12 sounding there? Are you close making your mind up what you going for next? :) Just looked the price hike of M&K stuff, V12 now costing 1400£. Crazy! Not that it would be poor product in any way, just that there is lot of competition that offers more for similar ££.

Sorry, replied to this the other day but I lost signal.

I'm really pleased with the V12. It measures a lot lower than advertised, unsure why this is. We watched Tenet on Saturday night and that was awesome (sound track, not sure on the film itself!)

I do need a pair though, so whether I pick up a second V12 or long term looks at something else, I'm not sure.

I've used the mirror trick and marked up reflection points to order some acoustic panels. The room is still very 'live' at the moment. You can hear it and measure it. Only marked up for the walls at the moment, debating whether to do the front of ceiling as well.

Next purchase after that will be upgrading the projector and screen. Screen material has moire at my distance so need to change that.

Last edited:
It`s good example with sealed sub which has shallow roll off and with your small room you get tons of room gain. Below example SVS SB2000 Pro which is quite similar what you have. Read the part "How much does room gain affect bass output" part and see the picture as it doesn´t see correctly if posted here. There is anechoic response which is the typical FR manufacturer lists and then you see the in-room response with room gain which looks completely different flat to 10hz.

Adding the 2nd V12 would be nice for sure not just on paper (graph), but as you constantly see what people report when they add the 2nd sub. Just more room filling bass no localization etc. Would the 2nd be better at the opposite rear wall then not sure. You would need to find used V12 as the price is just too much as new. I mean you could get SB3000 for less (!) which should be different animal. There was one point when V12s were available around 600-800£ i believe as used. I haven´t seen any amp failures mentioned here at AVF for V12 that i would remember so i assume they are very reliable.

That's a really useful link. I'd misunderstood how room gains worked. I thought it just increased the low frequency output that the sub could already produce. That is what surprised us, as the V12 is rated down to 20hz, but I measured it flat to 10hz.

Would it be reasonable to expect similar output from other sealed subs? For example, if ended up with an pair of SVS 2000 (19hz) or the SVS 3000 (18hz) that they would also go flat to 10hz?

That's a really useful link. I'd misunderstood how room gains worked. I thought it just increased the low frequency output that the sub could already produce. That is what surprised us, as the V12 is rated down to 20hz, but I measured it flat to 10hz.

Would it be reasonable to expect similar output from other sealed subs? For example, if ended up with an pair of SVS 2000 (19hz) or the SVS 3000 (18hz) that they would also go flat to 10hz?

The SB2000 Pro wouldn`t make much if any sense as you already have similar quality product. And the ported woofers (PB2000 Pro) would drop much earlier depending of port tuning. Of course one could argue do you really need it to play so low in first place (below 18hz or so) and you might have to use the room gain compensation bringing that low end down some as ported subs are so strong around 18-36hz. So in small room that could be too much and turn in to bloated mess without eq.

Dodge has larger room with dual SB3000s and he got flat to 10hz aswell. Have seen it with the SB2000 too. 2000 and 3000 ranges + upwards has this:
  • Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain

Easiest would be to find 2nd V12 from member and mask the one you have (White i think) there to black, not sure what the material is called. If looking upgrade then two SB3000, they cost 1147,50£/each with -10% discount (Cinehome UK offers that) or from AVO as new refurb units which cost the same, there is 2 in stock for those now. PSA S1512 costs 1639£ so it´s quite a step up in price, but does have stronger low end which Steve W. commented in the review, but sound (bass) quality wise he prefered the SB3000. Last option Arendal 1723 1S at 1114£ (perhaps some small extra cost due to Brexit?), only question mark would be the side firing driver depending how you place the subs. 5-10cm clearance needed, narrow cabinet though. Are there any others without having to sell kidney?

Currently white V12. When I get a second sub needs go to the rear right corner though, so colour is unimportant. The current one is under a piece of MVel anyway. I was holding out that Dodge would buy some ported monsters and list his SB3000s but I think he is still on the fence.

I think another V12 would be ideal, or the SVS SB2000 or SB3000. I think, given the room gain I'm getting, ported could potentially cause more problems than advantages it would bring.

I know of a pair of MK X10 that might be for sale soon, but I think they might be overkill/well above budget.

Currently white V12. When I get a second sub needs go to the rear right corner though, so colour is unimportant. The current one is under a piece of MVel anyway. I was holding out that Dodge would buy some ported monsters and list his SB3000s but I think he is still on the fence.

I think another V12 would be ideal, or the SVS SB2000 or SB3000. I think, given the room gain I'm getting, ported could potentially cause more problems than advantages it would bring.

I know of a pair of MK X10 that might be for sale soon, but I think they might be overkill/well above budget.

Dodge seems to be in love with them so needs little bit more pushing and/or perhaps some new special models to come out. :D Not sure you would gain much by selling V12 and going for two SB2000 Pro Vs just adding 2nd V12 if one comes up for good price. V12 is likely to perform quite similar to new SB2000 Pro, M&K has quite large cabinet which is a factor too. How different they sound is question mark, both are quite praised on that front but yeah just thinking that if you would want to step up from the idea of 2x V12 then either two Sb3000 or two 1723 1S (sealed). Not sure if Conrad is selling what he has as he moving to larger room if i`m not mistaken.

Just a reminder Mark and Apollo heard the 4x X12 and they both prefered the dual Arendals Mark had in sealed mode (Sub3), now the new ones are even better (sealed) so i wouldn´t count them out unless the depth is issue. You could basically turn them so the driver would face listeners. There is large 13,8" driver with 800w amp in a 48x33,5x55cm cab and the app control is coming for those aswell. I could imagine the dual V12s would be enough for many guys in such small room, but yeah you have gone long way to build such special HT room so i would be happier to get something special that won`t leave you looking upgrades for long time. Look Conrads gear what it was 4-6 x 15" PSA or Saul Goodman with dual 18" sealed, both have fairly similar small room to yours i assume.

Some great suggestions.

One of my favourite things about this room, beyond the uncompromising nature of watching films at home, is the interest of continuous looking for upgrades and improvements. Gives the same feeling I used to get with modifying cars back in the day.

Some great suggestions.

One of my favourite things about this room, beyond the uncompromising nature of watching films at home, is the interest of continuous looking for upgrades and improvements. Gives the same feeling I used to get with modifying cars back in the day.
Can you afford to keep upgrading? Personally I need to get what I can for a limited budget, and hope I'm not tempted to upgrade.

Can you afford to keep upgrading? Personally I need to get what I can for a limited budget, and hope I'm not tempted to upgrade.

I guess I can, but not in the lavish sense of some of the builds on here. Selling things and then upgrading little bits here and there. Small, incremental increases. Some things I don't plan to change and I hope to fit once and leave alone - my LCR, for example, were very expensive and should never need touching.

Projector and screen need changing, as do the surrounds. Long term, I'd also like to try adding a power amp, either alongside the Denon or with a processor.

I learnt, through 'upgrading/modifying' different cars, that a lot of my enjoyment came from the process and the community - not the end product. I get bored really quickly if I don't have a project.

I learnt, through 'upgrading/modifying' different cars, that a lot of my enjoyment came from the process and the community - not the end product. I get bored really quickly if I don't have a project.
Yeah I understand that. I'm hoping the cinema room won't remain my project. I'd like it to be my place to go and chill, as I'll no doubt have some other project to keep me busy. Ideally one that doesn't require me to spend thousands upgrading something minor :)

@Gasp3621 I found a new V12 for £1200. I’m still on the fence though. At the moment I’m more inclined to put the money in to the projector/screen.

@Gasp3621 I found a new V12 for £1200. I’m still on the fence though. At the moment I’m more inclined to put the money in to the projector/screen.

Sounds high still. If used one comes around 700£ then that could be great option to go forward if you don´t want to spend over 2k£ with SVS/Arendal etc. You can always put wanted add here and bump up the M&K owners thread.

Just had the quote come back for the kitchen. Might have to realign my priorities for a bit. lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom