1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Toys Christopher Reeve Superman DX

Discussion in 'Collectible Figures' started by freshvein, Aug 27, 2010.

1. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Looking at some of the other threads- is OSB cheaper than Sideshow? I'm a bit scared of the customs charges....OSB want a £55 deposit, sideshow don't...any help folks on who to go with?
  2. DpM

DpM Active Member

Ratings:
    +478
    If it were me I'd go OSB. No worry of customs charge. Might be quicker too as shipping from the US will take longer.
  3. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Sideshow use Fedex. It will cost you 20% VAT and a forwarding fee of £10.

Al
  4. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    So, say another £25-£30 on top of the £120 that the figure will cost. :eek:
  5. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    well I went with Sideshow my first ever order from them, I went for the ex figure with the green krytonite. I got $10 off my first order so came to $199.
  6. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    That's what I have preordered but I am vary of the customs charges......I have emailed OSB. If I layaway with them, am I guaranteed to get the figure?
  7. Batman2

Batman2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Well I have decided to give OSB my first order. :smashin:
  8. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +972
    Went with the exclusive from Sideshow, Gotsta get me some Krytonite!
  9. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    OSB have never let me down yet.
  10. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Be be aware that you will receive your figure and about a week later you will receive a bill from Fedex for the VAT and the forwarding fee.

If the figure costs you $199 I think the shipping is $20-$25 so that's $224 at the most. It's hard to say what the exchange rate will be when your card is charged but it's been around a dollar sixty to the pound for a while so we'll go with that. 224 / 1.6 = 140 so you should get charged about £140 on your card, and sometimes small transaction fee for converting dollars to pounds, depending on your card.

Then you have the VAT on the £140 (they charge VAT on the full amount including the shipping) which is about £28, plus the £10 forwarding fee which should bring it to an approximate grand total of £178. OSB are charging £166.99 including shipping so you could save around 12 quid if you ordered there... the exact amount will depend on the exchange rates when the charges go through. Then again you are getting the Kryptonite neckless so the 12 quid might be worth it.

I recently got the Hot Toys Bruce Lee with the extra body. The cost was $219 plus $25 shipping. The VAT on that was £30.16 plus the £10 forwarding fee so I had bill for £40.16 from Fedex.

Having said that, a friend of mine recently didn't get charged on his figure as it was classified incorrectly and so escaped the fee. You could be lucky, but that's never happened with me though.

Al
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  11. Batman2

Batman2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    I see OSB now has the full price up £156.99, which is similar to eBay prices.

Also £156.99 +£13.00 (shipping) = £169.99 or $280.34.
  12. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I didn't realise he'd put the shipping up to £13... used to be 10. So 15 quid difference.

You can sometimes get missed for VAT charges with shipments from HK and China (where most of the Ebay sales are from), but it's a gamble.

Al
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  13. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Is OSB UK based? Do they get the items and then no customs charge as it's already in the UK?
  14. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Yeah, that's right. He get's them in for you. The price you see is the price you pay - no additional costs.

Al
  15. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    hm might change my order to OSB then an pay the layaway fee now and the rest in Q4.
  16. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I might have to go for that as well instead of Sideshow. Damn customs costs!
  17. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Silly question, but say you don't bother paying the Fedex bill?

Will they hunt you down like a dog?

I've pre-ordered the exclusive with Sideshow, this is my first order with them. Didn't want to pay anything
    at all at the moment, so this seemed the best idea.

Also, how quick's delivery, once it's been shipped out?
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  18. Alaneye

Alaneye Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I dunno, I've forgotten to pay, and they sent out a reminder, which I then paid. I imagine if they don't get a response they would pass it on to a dept collection agency.

There is nothing wrong with ordering from Sideshow, and you get the kryptonite chain, and at current exchange rates there isn't a great deal of difference. Could be better or worse toward the end of the year, who knows?

They usually send you an email to tell you that the figure is due, then another when you've been billed, then you get a Fedex tracking number. Usually about 3 days for Fedex to get it to you I think.

Al
  19. gam

gam Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    they send another letter about a month later saying payment is due right away or it will be passed to debt collection, or words to that effect..... thats as far as I've gone in their process, some how they never got a cheque I wrote for one that I had left sitting in the glove box of my car :confused: :D

from sideshow, delivery is very well tracked at each stage with fedex and is very quick as it takes 3 or 4 days for delivery, have had a few that have been posted on tues night's uk time and delivered to me on friday mornings, but OSB have excellent service too so you shouldn't be dissapointed with whoever you choose to buy him from

it was a close call for me between OSB and sideshow for this one but when I was ordering the other night OSB hadn't the final price up yet so that and the green K swung it to sideshow for me (est price worked out at the time the exactly the same way as Alaneye above :smashin: ).........oh and of course the rewards points from sideshow to go towards another free premium format/commiquette for me in the future was also a bonus if you tend to use them in the future
  20. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +972
    In my experience (Had loads from them over the years) it's usually 2-3 days from despatch E-mail :thumbsup:
  21. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

It was close with OSB myself, but after hearing from other Northern Irish
    collectors, that postage to NI has went up to £20, I refused on principle.

£55 deposit was quite attractive, even £65 including shipping costs, but I'll be buggered if I was paying £75 upfront.
  22. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    I am the same rebel_scum was going to change from SS to OSB then seen the postage. No thanks! i'll just pay SS whatever and get me some kryptonite
  23. Bigpig

Bigpig Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Us Norn Iron folk are always getting buggered !!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  24. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks for support guys :)

3 pallets gone and reordered 2 more!
  25. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Sorry Irish friends! Cost £18 shipping to Ireland and packaging ain't cheap :)
  26. Bigpig

Bigpig Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Any chance in Sgt Barnes dropping in price soon^^?
  27. MuzMc

MuzMc Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I see Forbidden Planet are doing it for £159.99. Anyone know if they charge right away or when it ships?
  28. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    I appreciate that, but I live in Northern Ireland, which is classified as part of the UK.

It costs exactly the same amount of money for me to send something to England, as it would 10 miles up the road.
    Obviously it costs more depending on the service required, but Express24 via Parcelforce is quoted as £12.99 within the UK.

We're classified as Zone 3 with Parcelforce.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  29. gam

gam Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    unless its changed since I used either of them, both FP's charge when it ships and also charge postage on top of that price :)

It's a bit crap (putting it politely) but you should be used by now that some mainland companys don't use, with some not even willing to consider, Royal Mail/Parcelforce as an option with a lot of couriers being cheaper for shipping around the mainland, also it may be more hassle than its worth for a small shop to offer more than one method especially when making up a lot of orders to go out at the same time and having to seperate them up and arguably they may provide a better service over there than RM which means we're stuffed with paying the extra for the sake of a few miles of water :thumbsdow

but maybe Wai Man can have a look into alternative options for NI in the future :)
  30. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Btw, none of my moaning removes the fact that OSB are top notch.