Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honeymoon

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays Forum' started by stevenisace, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stevenisace

stevenisace Active Member

Ratings:
    +338
    I'm getting married this year and the wife to be as said that i'm in charge of booking the honeymoon.

At the moment i'm looking to go to NewYork for between 7 - 10 nights. Could someone recommend a good and travel agent to look at. So far i have only looked at Virgin Holidays

Thanks

Steve
  2. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    I went to New York this summer with Virgin and have used them for our last few holidays and will continue to use them.
    They aren't the cheapest but I do like their choice of hotels and their planes are pretty good compared with a lot of airlines (although it's quite a short flight to NY anyway).

I would maybe get quotes from a couple of travel agents and compare the price and also the choice and then decide :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MikeP1

MikeP1 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Kuoini do New York holidays and offer some honeymoon extras. They also price match against the other main travel agents.

I found them very useful when I chatted to them & they provided great service. I would give them a try.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    +1 as another option. I've used Kuoni for a safari In Kenya and they are also very good :)
  5. stevenisace

Ratings:
    +338
    That was another option i was thinking of. Also have looked at Canada.

I don't really want to go anywhere just to lay on a beach all the time
  6. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    For the same price as a week in New York you can do a safari & beach holiday :)

I did Kenya a few years ago - one of the best holidays I've ever done and I'm getting married this October so am planning our honeymoon - safari in Tanzania and then relax in Zanzibar. I don't like laying on the beach much either and there is plenty to look at/do instead of sunbathing.
    I'm looking at both Virgin & Kuoni for the safari (as well as a US road trip I'm booking for this May). There are other travel agents that are good (Best@Travel I've used for Thailand and they were good) but I've always rated those two :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. stevenisace

Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what is your buget per person.

At the moment i'm looking at around 1k each
  8. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    For the Tanzania safari, although I haven't had a proper, indepth look yet, I think it will be at least £1.5k each, maybe getting towards £2k. That's cheaper than a week in New York last August with Virgin but I did pick quite an expensive hotel.
    Checkout the sales, I know Virgin Holidays have one at the moment and am sure most travel agents will have one, you might be able to get a good deal :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. stevenisace

Ratings:
    +338
    I have done a bit more looking around and i'm not moving towards Thailand, but still not 100% sure
  10. moby125

moby125 Member

Ratings:
    +140
  11. christopher576

christopher576 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Go to Vegas. Perfect for honeymooners , maybe incorporate a few days in san Francisco or san Diego ? Book independent, miles cheaper.

The standard of rooms available in Vegas for your money is excellent .
  12. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    That is a good option as Vegas is an awesome place to visit (not very romantic though...but you will be married) :laugh:

For what you get for your money Vegas is great value whereas New York is pretty expensive when compared. I did both last year and love them both equally :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, my honeymoon ideas are still changing though think we are going to settle on Mauritius. Was thinking Maldives but it's a bit more than we wanted to pay and nothing to do there really so Mauritius seems the better option. I mind change my mind again though! ;)
  13. Mac User

Mac User Active Member

Ratings:
    +294
    If your in charge .. get yourself to Jamaica mate. The wife and I went there on our honeymoon last year. Mate the caribbean is beautiful !!! We stayed at a Sandals in Montego Bay !!. Why don't you have a look there ?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  14. christopher576

christopher576 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Whatever plans you make just enjoy it.

I personally didn't wanna go to Vegas at first... Im glad i was coerced into it ... its an experience of a lifetime.
  15. CDphobe

CDphobe Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Couldn't disagree more. Your honeymoon needs to be a perfect event, with the least involvement from yourselves and the highest level of support should there be any sort of problem. If you book independently and everything goes well then great, and you'll have saved money. But if any part of the booking has a problem (hotel overbooked, problems at any sort of flight transfer etc) then you're going to have to sort it yourself. Worst case, flight is cancelled and you're still liable for all your accommodation costs...

For a holiday like this I would always go for the best travel agent you can find. Yes, you'll pay a few pounds more but it could save you so many problems. And you'll even find the better ones (and I don't mean the normal high street names) will have personal contacts with some of the suppliers so can help put the finishing touches on by requesting some extra touches. A good travel agent will also have access to hotels and suppliers you'd never find yourself, which could also mean you get just what you want from the outset rather than getting there and having to pay more for the extra things you find are missing.

Al
  16. christopher576

christopher576 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well said. Do you have a link to your travel services?

As long as any single agents are registered with the relevant associations then you can get travel insurance that covers the rest for a significant amount less than a high street agents commission.

Just my opinion moulded from experience. Honeymoon, booked as a package, was double the price of the same holiday the year after, booked separately .

But to be extra cautious ... I agree.. Pay someone to do what you can do yourself. And save yourself an hour browsing.

Most of all thou.. Have fun!!!
  17. CDphobe

CDphobe Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Hmm, a link to my travel service? I can tell you who I book my holidays with, but as a full time Project Manager (Engineering) I don't think I have the time to moonlight in an industry that is pretty highly regulated.

Run the scenario I provided past them and see how many will cover the cost of the unused accommodation and you may be surprised - and not happily.

If your honeymoon package was twice the price of the same holiday booked independently the year after, you didn't have a good travel agent!

Wow, people book a holiday after an hour of internet browsing? Would take me that long just to narrow down which continent I wanted to go to! Maybe I just like to get the right result, but I would spend way more time than that for my normal holiday, never mind something like a honeymoon

You're right, having an enjoyable time after an important event such as a marriage is the important thing. Our difference seems to be in the level of risk we would accept, and for me, with an event like that, my perspective is unchanged. On which note, let's allow the thread to return to answering the OP's question.

Al
  18. christopher576

christopher576 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Agreed. I won't deny there are risks. Even with travel agents.

I also assumed that the op would have decided where to go before browsing for prices.

Anyways.. With Vegas, there are very good deals to be had. The listed price for a panoramic strip view room in Planet Hollywood is 130+ per night. Using the best agents i got it for 35 USD . Cheaper than the travelodge on the strip!!

Flights can be got cheaper by checking most days as they fluctuate daily, not as much heading into the summer thou.

Email the hotel ahead of your arrival notifying them of your reason for staying ie honeymoon. We got champagne and a free spice buffet meal. And at the end of our stay the waived the resort fee.

If the op wishes some links to decent priced offers just say and ill.post them or PM them.

All the savings leaves you more to blow on the slots lol