Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homeplug/network problem?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by botty, May 13, 2009.

1. botty

botty Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi folks:thumbsup:

Can anyone shed any light on my problem please? It's driving me mad:mad:

My setup is as follows...

In the living room are:-

PC connected directly to port 1 of router (speedtouch 585v6)
    Homeplug into port 2 of router.
    PS3 connected to 2nd homeplug.
    XBOX 360 connected to 3rd homeplug.

Upstairs is a 2nd XBOX 360 which connects wirelessly to the router. The signal isn't great but it does the job and rarely disconnects.

The problem is with the PS3 and the XBOX in the living room....if the PS3 has been online, and I want to swap to the XBOX, the XBOX fails to connect. If I keep trying it eventually connects (usually after reseting router and network settings)

If the XBOX has been online and I try to swap to the PS3, the same happens. ie PS3 can't connect.(DNS error I think) Reseting router and going through PS3 network settings usually fixes it eventually.

Everything is set to automatic in the network settings on both machines. This has worked before but the only difference being that the 3rd homeplug was upstairs on the other XBOX.

I tried a different router (Netgear D834G v3) but exactly the same

Sorry for the long post and hope it makes sense. It's probably something simple but my knowledge is VERY limited on things like this:rolleyes:

Any help very much appreciated.:)
  2. Paul_McG

Paul_McG Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Are the two homeplugs sitting in the same electrical socket ?

If so, try moving one to a different socket. You may be getting interference if they are connected close together.

Have you tried connecting a small switch/hub to a homeplug, and connecting both PS3 and XBox to this ?
  3. RBJTech

RBJTech Member

Ratings:
    +103
    not had experience of home plugs myself, but I thought they worked in pairs using channels ? If all your plugs are on the same channel, then this may be why. But as the previous poster said, just get yourself a USB powered switch/hub - plug the PS3 and Xbox into this (powered from the xbox or PS3) and then plug this into one homeplug. remove the 3rd one all together.
  4. botty

botty Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have had this setup working on 3 homeplugs so I believe it's ok to do this.

Which switch/hub do you recommend? does it have to be a powered one, or could I use a Y splitter type?

Thanks for the reply:thumbsup:
  5. CamFire

CamFire Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    What make/model are your HomePlugs?
  6. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Have a look at the network settings on your devices and ensure that they are all set to DHCP as it looks like an IP address conflict to me. Nothing to do with the Homeplugs.

Homeplugs do not 'work in pairs using channels'. They share the medium in a similar way to to old-style Ethernet.
  7. botty

botty Member

Ratings:
    +6
  8. botty

botty Member

Ratings:
    +6

Thanks beerhunter, I'll check all the network settings tonight to make sure they are all DHCP.

What's DHCP?:rolleyes:
  9. CamFire

CamFire Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Ah, mine are Devolo 200Mbps and there was a time when I had trouble with one of the three plugs generating a self-assigned IP address, no matter how I swapped them around. Suspected a firmware problem since two works perfectly fine, and I know the router is doing the right thing (several other devices attached).
  10. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    That is VERY odd as Homeplugs don't have IP Addresses.
  11. CamFire

CamFire Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Ah, nice catch. What I meant was the COMPUTER that was attached to this HomePlug indicated a self-assigned address.
  12. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a method of assigning network information like IP addresses to devoices on the network. When a device comes on to the network it request an IP address from the DHCP server (found inside a domestic router). It is possible for that address to change.

The other method is Fixed Addressing. In that case a network administrator physically assigns a network address to a device which it keeps for ever.

DHCP is superior because one does not need to keep track of IP addresses in order to avoid conflicts.

Having said that, there are circumstances when one would want a Fixed Address but they are exceptional and CANNOT be addresses from the 'DHCP Pool', that could allocated by the DHCP server.
  13. botty

botty Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that beerhunter.:smashin:

I checked last night and DHCP is on.

What's strange though, is that the PS3 signed in straight away as did the XBOX. Both had different IP addresses when I checked. The upstairs XBOX wouldn't connect wirelessly at all, but after removing and refitting the wireless adapter and restarting, it signed in.

This wasn't happening the night before and I have changed nothing:confused:

The only slight problem I had was that both XBOX's signed out a couple of times in about an hour. PS3 never signed out at all.

Could it just be a temporary glitch, or am I overloading the router possibly? The router has 4 ports and a wireless connection so I would have thought it could handle all my devices.