Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HomePlug FAQ

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by graham.myers, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,624
    oh look Mr Guru stalker is back lol hi where have you been? and u called me SA6 i dont hear that often from others

Dont listen to Mr Guru (Gray) as the 85mbps HPs he supposedly picked from PCWorrld if you read the page have a max transfer of 14mbps so wouldn be very good but the 200mbps ones he linked were correct
  2. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    I was just testing ya :devil:. Actually I put the wrong link in...Changed it now.
  3. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    i have a nasty insult but im better than that

i need to sort out if and what HPs im getting based on your advice, you got any suggestions on my other threads about stuff gray please?
  4. atsoc15

atsoc15 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Ok chaps the time has come where i rip av forums member for all their advice again.

I currently have one problem that is causing me lots of problems - my netgear d34834g or what ever the model number is, has a rubbish range. So this means first of all my online gameplay on the ps3 is laggy as anything.

Further to this i am planning on streaming from one of these

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=696370

to my ps3.

So im hoping on of these plugs are going to help.

The next problem comes that i have two plugs in my room, and way to much av equipment - so the adaptor will have to have a through plug as described is possible on the FAQ first post.

So what do you guys recommend - a link is much appreciated and thanks again to all at avforums
  5. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Solwise are one brand that have a mains pass through option. I've never used them myself but they have a pretty good reputation.

You may ( probably will !) be able to find them for a better price elsewhere.

You can also use Homeplugs on ( non surge protected ) mains extension leads, which may increase your options.

Any other questions post back :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. atsoc15

atsoc15 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the quick reply.

Done a few searches to find it cheaper... no luck yet will keep looking though.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
  7. CBers

CBers Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Some places are cheaper, such as Faculty-x, but once you add P&P on, they come out about the same.

At least if you buy direct from Solwise, you have their support forums available, and can return if you have problems.
  8. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    These look for all the world like re-branded Solwise Hps. Might be worth having a look as they're a tad cheaper bought in pairs.
  9. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in the middle of setting up a new network and have encountered a problem.

I have a wireless router and wireless laptop which is fine for everyday use. However when torrenting I thought it would be better to switch to a wired connection and so bought two powerline 200Mbps adapters.

All set up fine BUT... when downloading on uTorrent wirelessly I'm getting around 250Mbps. When I switch to the "wired" network, the download speed is dropping to 18-27Mbps (this is on the same torrent). The network status says that the powerline speed in 100Mbps which is about right, so why the drop in viable usuage speed?
  10. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It truly is a mystery beyond the understanding of mere man...
  11. Snobdr

Snobdr Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Guys please dont flame me but i am a complete noob at networking and pcs so please be nice

I have a Thompson 585 router/modem which i was using wirelessly but have been getting dropped signals when using ps3 to stream movies

i went and bought devolo dlan 200 av easy and thought it would be a piece of cake to get up and running.....!

HAve pugged each socket into the mains and ethernet cable into the modem and the pc BUT if anything performance and speed have got worse....before i got 60-70% signal strength and now get 40-50 which i dont understand as i though effectively i had a "wired" connection..

The instructions are...well crap really and i am not sure if i need to do anything to get the connection i was expecting

If its relevant my ISP is plusnet and i have a line speed of 6gig at the moment d/l speed is less than a gig

I am seriously at the end of my tether:eek::mad::eek:
  12. Frasermack

Frasermack Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi there, I've read the whole thread and done a search etc but not seeing an answer to this if someone could assist me.

My house has an ex Police Office attached to it which has a seperate wiring system and would appear to be stand alone from each other. Seperate fuse boxes and meters etc. I appreciate from reading this that a HP in the house won't send the signal through to a HP in the office section where my PS3 is because of the seperate ring mains, however....If I have 4 plugs can I...

Virgin cable modem in living room-----router------homeplug------homeplug in the hall of my house (so still on the same ring mains)----drill hole through wall to ex police office section and connect the HP in the house hall to a 3rd HP in office wall socket which is on seperate ring mains-----4th HP in the far away section of the office (still on 2nd ring mains)-----into my PS3?

Will the 2nd HP in the hall carry the internet signal through to the 3rd HP thereby introducing it onto the other ring mains wiring in the office section? Thereafter the 4th HP would pick it up and put it into my PS3?

Sorry if that's the most ridiculous question ever asked about Homeplugs but really don't want a 30+ meter ethernet cable running out my living room, across the hall and all the way down the office section of the house. Well actually I don't mind but she'll chuck a mental :rolleyes:

Oh and the walls are too thick for wireless to work, PS3 gets 7 - 30% signal, if at all, and the signal drops more often than the FTSE...

Any help or thoughts of a non flaming variety much appreciated!
  13. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    could you not set up a wireless router on the other side if you are talking about drilling through the wall, run the cable into a wireless router

just a thought but an interesting set up you have
  14. Frasermack

Frasermack Member

Ratings:
    +14
    See here's where I expose my ignorance of such matters even further. I have the wireless router in the living room which comes off my cable DSl modem. Virgin won't give me another modem, which is a pity as I have another cable lead coming into the holuse in the very office my PS3 is actually in (they gave me a complementary, tariff free digibox which works fine off this second access point so a modem would probably sort all this) so if I put another wireless router, out the box, into the office with a lead from the second HP in the house hall going through the wall into it will this automatically start sending the signal wirelessly? I thought it'd need to be installed on a PC or something as opposed to just sending out signal straight away. My lap top is in the house so putting existing router through there not an option as signal wouldn't make it back through, would need to be a second router.

Like your thinking, just I don't have the PC know how, any help on this matter appreciated before I splurge on 2nd pair of HPs or router.

Ask me about tellys! Or PS3 games! (Just to prove I do try and contribute and not just take from the forums :D)
  15. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    what router do you currently have as you could use an extender to just forward the wireless signal forward
  16. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Quite the opposite of being the most ridiculous question ever asked it's one of the most interesting for a while about Homeplugs. :)

For the life of me I can't think of a reason it won't work, if I had the facility to check it out for you I would, but my house sounds like a postage stamp compared to yours:). The only thing I would suggest is to get the same type of Homeplugs for all 4.

The only "fly in the proverbial ointment" may be the distance you're trying to go. if your mains supply is noisy at all you could get quite bad degradation in speed. The only way is to try it and see I think, do you have a friendly Computer shop that would lend you the HPs to try it out?

Which HPs are you currently using? I've got a couple of Zyxel PLA401s going spare that I could loan to you? (I went wired in the end to the PS3 and XBox so I could get full Gigabit networking.).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Frasermack

Frasermack Member

Ratings:
    +14
    A Belkin G+ Mimo V3000. Got it running at the moment with a 30m Cat 5 cable which arrived today (Cables4less, £11, thought that was a great price!) but due to carpets glued to stone floors can't hide cable particularly well so still hoping to go the effective wireless or homeplug route....
  18. Frasermack

Frasermack Member

Ratings:
    +14

Thanks for that mate, thought I might have folk :rotfl: at the naivety of the question. Glad I haven't :)

First 2 homeplugs arrive tomorrow from Amazon. Wasn't sure of types so went for middle priced ones, Max Value 85mps ones for £39. As I said in previous post, got the ethernet connected and works a treat but now that it's possibly feasible this could work I might just invest in another pair. I'll take your tip on seeing if I can borrow another pair first though as don't want to waste £80 when my 30m £11 cable turns out to be only practical option to maintain streaming speed etc. Thanks for the very kind offer but different types :(
  19. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    keep us updated as id like to see how this spans out

i didnt f ind it ridiculous either
  20. TheBigApple

TheBigApple Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, I've read the very useful FAQ and am looking to buy the Netgear HDXB101. However I am in need of further assistance.

I have a computer upstairs connected to a Netgear DG834 wireless modem router.

Downstairs I have the following which I would like to connect to the network, an Xbox360, Bluray player and I am soon to invest in a NMT such as Popcorn Hour.

From my understanding, I would need one homeplug at the modem/router end and then one for each device I wish to get on the network.

Is this correct, or could I just get two homeplugs, connect another router to the downstairs plug and then plug each device into the router?

Thanks
  21. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    All you need is a Homeplug at each end and then a Network switch such as this to plug the downstairs HP into the then plug your equipment into that.

There are other brands available and also Gigabit switches but for average use the one I've linked to will suffice.

Edit: The Netgear Homeplugs you've chosen are fine but these will do the same job and may be a little cheaper.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  22. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi,

I just saw a video on you tube that pretty much stated when buying homeplugs to get DS2 200mb ones as they are supposed to be better and/or not have any compatibility issues with stuff you may buy down the road - is this true? Which is the best type of homeplug to get - this DS2 type or the other Intellion one? By the way, I only learnt of homeplugs about 5 mins ago and know extremely little about networking stuff!

Suave!
  23. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi. Hope someone can help a novice:)

I want to stream Hi-def from my Mac>D-link router to my TV (it has DNLA input).

I'm told any RJ45 network/ethernet cable will do, but i see they come in 'cat4', cat5', cat6tc. Is one of these categories best for streaming hi-def in my set-up?

Thanks for any replies:confused:
  24. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    wow homeplugs are awesome

graystreet sent me his spare set to eventually buy but first of all test

they work brilliantly i have them from the router going to a gigabit switch where it feeds my 360 and computer

the computer says i get a 100mbps connection compared to wireless which was 18-36mbps im extremely impressed as media center connection is the best it can be from what was at near the worst possible

thanks Gray you have been great, i recommend HPs to all
  25. graystreet

graystreet Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    You're most welcome. Pleased to help :smashin:

And thank you for the post :blush:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,624
    thank you for the help and the kindness that you have offered it has been great, i could not have asked for more or gotten any better anywhere
  27. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved into an apartment, so I got a set of Devolo 85mb dlan homeplugs. Connected them up and my Pc or laptop doean't connect. Ran the devolo software and it doesn't find any devices.

My setup is as follows

Linksys Wireless G Router ==> homeplug1

Homeplug2=====>PC

even in the same room I don't get a connection The powerlight is on and the Active light flashes.

When i plug in I get the network icon with the yellow warning triangle, if I unplug and plug back in I get the red cross shortly followed by the yellow triangle again.

Can anyone thing of what maybe wrong... I don't really want to get wireless cards.
  28. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +921
    they sound faulty to me.

do you have a 4 gang socket handy? plug both into the same 4 gang and see if they talk. if they dont one or both is broken
  29. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just tested them as follows...

Router ==> Homeplug==>homeplug===> pc both home plugs were in the same 4 gang extention cable...

Nothing again.

I've got a starter pack and a single homeplug but no combination works..

Should I switch to wifi or change the 3 homeplugs for a new set???
  30. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +921
    they sound faulty - get 'em swapped.

Just double check the 4-gang you used does not have surge protection as it will remove the homeplug signal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.