Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HomePlug FAQ

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by graham.myers, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osamede

Osamede Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I think we're just saying the same thing in different ways. I'm ordering a Zyxel set myself of the 500 series so I agree that is what's needed to get the value of N wireless. But if your N network sucks then you may be operating at such slow speed that 200-AV will not be limiting in. Which is not a shock - many have pretty poor wireless throughput in real life conditions.
  2. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,168
    After some guidance...

BT Infinity intstalled, average 37/6 from the router. I found (to my disappointment and lack of research :rolleyes:) my trusty old 85mbs Devolo max out around 12-15MBs. I have the wired contection for the desktop pc, ps3 and Freesat. I want to be able to use Netflix on my desktop pc, in HD. I also use Tversity from my pc to stream content to various devices. The electical wiring for the house is new (complete re-wire in 2010).

So, would the 200MBs or 500MBs do the job? I know the 500MBs will be future proof, but at a price. What are the real life speeds? Ideally i'd stick with Devolo plugs as i can upgrade a bit at a time and still use the 85MBs plugs in the meantime.
  3. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,168
    Anyone got any wise words to share?
  4. MilhouseVH

MilhouseVH Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Read the last two pages of the thread?
  5. supergeek

supergeek Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I have 3 TP Link Powerline homeplugs - is this how I encrypt ALL of them?

I have

Master homeplug - connected to router
    Homeplug 2 - connected to pc
    Homeplug 3 - connected to ps3

STEP 1: To encrypt master homeplug and homeplug 2 - push pair button on master homeplug, within 120 seconds push pair button on homeplug 2

STEP 2: To encrypt homeplug 3 - push pair button on master homeplug, within 120 seconds push pair button on homeplug 3

and then repeat STEP 2 for homeplug 4, homeplug 5 and so on

is this correct?

cheers
  6. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Hey Guys

I have been really struggling to get my network up to scratch to stream HD content. I originally had the Devolo 85 plugs which I struggle with, they are so stupidly slow I can't even stream SD with them properly. I have just bought two of the 200mbps plugs today so will try those tonight when I get in and hope they make a difference.

Question is, is there anything that can make these plug run at there optimal settings? I know they shouldn't be plugged into multi gangways with anything else attached, but is there anything else that I can do to get the fastest speeds I can? Would changing my network card settings help, as in to 100 Full Duplex?

Lets hope these can start streaming now!
  7. Petetheroadie

Petetheroadie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

Do any of you have MTU problems with these adaptors? I've my Xbox 360 connected to a Belkin Access Point, which is connected to a Comtrend 9020 Powerline adaptor. The other powerline unit is then connected to the Belkin Modem Router.

I can't access Xbox Live on the Xbox, and I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to plug the xbox straight into the main Modem Router.

Help!

Pete
  8. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,268
    What other devices do you have connected to your access point?
  9. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Well I plugged the new points in last night and WHAMO!!!!! Full HD streamed like a dream!

I thought I'd test with my high bitrate uncompressed blu ray rips of Avatar, Dark Knight and Inception, no problems what so ever. These are 40gb files that are playing without any hiccups at all. It buffers for about 4 seconds in the beginning of these ones but then it plays fine.

I am so stoked that I have a decent streaming solution now, my server is built now and in another room and streaming like a boss, just need to now start looking into drive cages etc to extend my storage.
  10. - johnyc -

- johnyc - Member

Ratings:
    +88
    can different makes of homeplugs be used in the same house . i have two but could do with another one for the ps3 . so for talk sake could i put in a belkin with no issues .
  11. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    I don't see any issues as long as you dont encrypt then. I'd imagine encrypting them could cause some issues as they might use different methods etc
  12. Montala

Montala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I am pretty sure that the ones which BT supply do not use the usual 'Homeplug' standard as used by Solwise etc.

Not too sure about other makes though.
  13. MilhouseVH

MilhouseVH Member

Ratings:
    +120
    The BT ones were Comtrend and yes, they were/are non-standard (also lethal in some circumstances). In theory mixed Homeplug vendors should work together, however Belkin have a long history of being slightly "quirky" with just about every standard they allegedly support. In short, I'd never buy anything with a Belkin brand expecting it to work flawlessly with equipment from other vendors, except maybe a USB hub.
  14. doug_1986

doug_1986 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I've mixed 2 x Belkin 200mbps and 2 x D-Link 500Mbps homeplugs in my house and they work a treat, never a hiccup
  15. - johnyc -

- johnyc - Member

Ratings:
    +88
    ok , so i have just got a second hand set of home plugs three in total but i cant get them to work even though the led's are on . i already have a pair that i bought of here a while ago and are working perfect but i needed a third one so i have taken the pair out and put the new ones in . i have one at the router one on the ps3 and the other one on the laptop . the ps3 just keeps telling me to plug in en ethernet cable . the laptop tells me that a network cable is unplugged . there not branded and where bought of 7dayshop . the ones in the pic are the same . anyone got any idea why . thanks

Attached Files:

16. - johnyc -

- johnyc - Member

Ratings:
    +88
    anyone :)
  17. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    They look like TP Link adapters. to work with your existing they all need to be of the same HomePlug standard, i.e 85's with 85's , 200's with 200's.

85's & 200's will co-exist but not interoperate, whereas going forward the 200's will with all future HomePlug standards.

To 'Clear' the non workers, try holding the security/link/nmk button (called different by different brands) in for about 10-15 secs, all lights should flicker, then come back on. After this your need to re-pair (not repair as they are non repairable) it to the working network.

If then still not working, you have probably been sold 3 pups, so you might want to return to the seller!:facepalm:
  18. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    BT now/currently supply Simpler Networks HomePlug adapters with their BT Vision boxes. The firmware has a slight 'tweak' to give them extra security being that the vision box needs to communicate with their servers to supply the pay per view services and other OTT / IP content they now provide. This in turn makes them a bit harder to pair up with the 'usual' :lesson:
  19. Thomas.

Thomas. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just a quick question about PASSTHROUGH adapters in particular(d-link 200mbps are the ones i'm looking at)...

We only have ONE mains socket at the router, so the passthrough style adapter is a necessity. My question is: With the passthrough adapter plugged directly into the wall, can I then plug a 2 or 4 way extension lead(with router and telephone plugged in) into the adapter without causing any issues?

I was originally just going to buy standard homeplugs, then plug one into a 4 way extension lead, but i've read that this can hinder internet speeds.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  20. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    That doesn't make any sense to me. HomePlugs work on the Local Area Network and have no idea what is going on on the Wide area Network.

As an example, from day one (before BT supplied powerline adapters with BT Vision) I have had a BT Vision box at home connected to with bog standard 85Mb/s HomePlugs and my service has worked perfectly and still works.

Do you have any reference(s) to this.
  21. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Yes. The issues occur when powerline adapters go VIA some (not all) extension sockets.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  22. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Must say I would of thought similar to you, but from my own experiences of trying to 'pair' the BT supplied adapters to the non BT supplied, it was not just a case of simply push the link button. A check of the firmware versions showed they were different and when I asked, the answer I was given, is the answer I relayed in the thread. If I have misunderstood what I was told or mislead anyone with my comments, I apologise.:confused:
  23. BurningRanger

BurningRanger Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Been looking to wire up my house as I'm renovating, and in my research I came across this SOHO Mini 10 Network System.

It's crazy expensive, but anyone seen anything like this for cheaper?
  24. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I believe it is similar, if not the same, as the Solwise NET-PL-200AV-WALL-4PE
    which retails for around £150 inc Vat.

The guys that developed the sockets, have spent a lot of time & effort doing so, so they are not going to be coming cheap, just yet. Brilliant idea :thumbsup:.
  25. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,209
    I guess this is the best place to post this.
    I've developed a problem with my home network with homeplugs.

Ok my setup as follows:

Sky broadband with sagem router.
    Router downstairs connected to master socket
    Sky hd box, ps3, Xbox and homeplug connected to ports
    Pc upstairs connected to other homeplug.

Today I've tried to go on the Internet on my pc and win7 advises that it's a unidentified network and an ipconfig reveals its getting a 169. Ip address.
    I've tried all the usual networking fixes and resetting my router etc. my iPad and phone connect to wifi fine and my consoles that are connected direct to the router are also fine. The only thing I've noticed is that my homeplug that's connected direct to the router now has an orange light (top light) instead of a green one. The homeplug upstairs still shows all green.

I've tried resetting both homeplugs and swapping them round but still no joy.
    Im officially stumped. I'm guessing the homeplugs are faulty but it's just a guess as they have been working for over 12 months absolutely fine. Ideally I'd like to disconnect my router and plug it directly into my pc but can't due to the way I have it all wired up etc downstairs.

Just wondered if anyone has had these issues before. I've no idea why one of these homeplugs now displays an orange light and even what that light means. I will add that it is initially green but then changes orange anywhere between 1-5 minutes. I can't see anything on my router setup page that indicates any issue and I've not changed anything on my setup.

:confused::confused:
  26. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    HomePlugs do not have IP addresses, it is the device attached to the HomePlug that has the IP address.

You do not say what 'the top light' is, I will guess it is the one that looks like a little house, if so,
    GREEN: Powerline network is detected with high transfer speed
    ORANGE: Powerline network is detected with medium transfer speed
    RED: Powerline network is detected with low transfer speed
    FLASHING: Any of the above flashing - a data transfer in progress
    OFF: No Powerline connection
  27. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Well I tried it again last night and it appeared to be working again. I think something went screwy with windows. It again said unidentified network but allowed me to select home network in the network section and all ok again.

EDIT: Not working again. Sorry forgot to say the light thats orange is a kind of plug like symbol with a lightning emblem on it.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  28. MilhouseVH

MilhouseVH Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Nice idea, and does make for a very neat implementation, but it's a costly solution that limits any scope for upgrades in future (eg. to 500-AV). To go this route you really must want 200-AV and never have any need for a faster solution, and have a complete hate for wires or extra boxes.

The Solwise 500-AV-4PE is almost as neat an implementation (one small box), a quarter the cost and up to double the performance.

That's just my opinion on it.
  29. Marty Moose

Marty Moose Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I see Solwise sell the 500AV for £22 each, which were the ones I was originally going to get, but are out of stock for a few weeks. I've also noticed they appear to do Gigabit plugs for £48 a pair. Although I know I won't be able to achieve anything remotely near these speeds, it still seems to good to be true that these are retailing at only £4 more for a pair than it would cost me for the 500's. Are they significantly different from each other does anyone know?
  30. Member 423044

Member 423044 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Not sure which icon you mean, look at the pdf here, this is where I got the earlier information from.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.