1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ho do I download latest fortecstar software

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by flunge, Mar 6, 2010.

1. flunge

flunge Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi can anyone advise me in very simple step by step instructions how to download the latest software from fortec to a usb stick I have no idea how to do it what to save it to or how to unzip the file that downloads Hope there is someone out there that understands this.This in needed to get the new ZDF/DAS ERSTE HD channels
  2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +160
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    You shouldn't need anything to get those channels.
    What problems are you having with them?
  4. bspks

bspks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All I've ever done is download the zip file from the FortecStar web site.
    Unzip it and copy it into the ROOT directory of the usb stuck.
    (Don't put it into a directory or the receiver won't see it).
    Plug in the memory stick and select update from the menu.
    Select front or back usb socket as appropriate, select OK on the update file and let the receiver do its thing.
    It's always worked for me.
  5. flunge

flunge Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you for the replys
    bspks As i said i am a dope with computers,I dont know what root directory means i dont know how to unzip a file Whenever i have tried to unzip a file before the computer always says it does not recognise the file. and on fortecs download page there are that many downloads for the passion+ how do i know which one to use If I get it wrong Fortec dont want to know.
    At the moment i get sound only on zdf/das erste but very strong signals
  6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    Print the instructions/advice above and then ask a more PC savvy friend to do it for you.
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    To unzip a file you need a piece of free software that you can download.
    When you've downloaded the Fortec file and unzipped it you save it to your computer and from there copy it to the USB "stick".
    You plug that into the Fortec, select the USB menu, and follow the instructions.
    However, this won't do anything for the channels that are missing their video, and will probably not do anything else that would be useful. The downloads they're offering are only for adjusting the EPG and a few other details.
    A slipup could jam the receiver altogether and Fortec would certainly "not want to know".
    Fortecs are temperamental with HD channels, and on checking I find that the two new German channels are missing the video on mine also. I've checked various edits and nothing will bring it in.
    It's no help, but they play fine on my other receiver.:)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. flunge

flunge Member

Ratings:
    +5
    logiciel and chris, Thanks for the reply but i only know 2 people with computers and they are as thick as i am.I have no idea how to unzip a file and even less idea how to transfer that to something else.
  9. maxwell4321

maxwell4321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +385
    Download Winzip from here Download WinZip®

Install it by double clicking the file after it has finished downloading.

Download the latest firmware for your receiver from the Fortec website.

Double click the firmware file and winzip will automatically open it

Drag and drop the file from the Winzip box to your desktop

Put a USB stick into your PC

Right click on the firmware file and select copy

Go to My computer and locate your USB stick

Right click the USB drive and select Paste

Go into Satellite receiver menu and perform a factory reset

Power off the satellite receiver

Insert the USB stick into either the front or rear port

Switch on the receiver and it should begin to update, if not switch off power again and put the USB stick in the other port. Switch on again and update should now start.

:lesson:IMPORTANT : Do not switch off power to the receiver whilst update is in progress (In the above make sure the update has definitely not started before trying the other port):lesson:

Once finished the box will reboot itself, at this point remove the USB stick and it should boot normally.

Setup your system and scan for channels

You should now be running the latest firmware
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Although maxwell has given a clear expansion of the brief details that I gave on how to do that, and of the rest of the process, the point you make reinforces my suggestion that it would not be a good idea to take it on - not least because it won't have any effect on the problem you - and I - are having with those two channels and their video!
    A brief scan through the list of possible downloads on the link that FS gave confirms that the only recent additions have been to the Electronic Program Guide, and, most importantly, that the last firmware update was in October 2008 and my guess is that your receiver is more recent than that, and therefore has the version already - as does mine, which does not bring on that video!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. maxwell4321

Ratings:
    +385
    I have no problems with ZDF/Das Estre HD at 19.2 on my Passion+, I am running software version v.126 which is from Dec 09, you can get it from Sataid or the Fortec website or failing that let me know your email address via pm and I can send it you
  12. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    The latest download on the Sataid link is listed as "Firmware PASSION + HD - av126fs ( December 03, 2009)" and is said to provide only "Further enhancements to the speed of the epg".
    Is that what you're referring to?
    There are drawbacks: that "Fortec Star" is not mentioned, that the previous page refers to "software" not "firmware", that it refers only to "transfer.... to your receiver using a RS-232 port" not to the use of a USB stick, and that it includes dire warnings about what could go wrong!
    Some explanations, and perhaps assurances, would assist both the OP, and myself.:)
  13. maxwell4321

Ratings:
    +385
    Yes that is the correct file and the exact one I am using

It is the exact same file as on the Fortec website and is definitely Firmware as opposed to Software, transfer can definitely be done with USB(this is all I ever use) without any problems.

Just a word of warning: If you get the file from the Fortec site make sure it is the Passion+ file as they have for some strange reason given the Innovation software the same file name and put it on the front page of their website :eek:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Thanks very much, and I too noticed the discrepancy in the file name.

It downloaded to the Fortec easily by USB, and produced the desired effect on the two German channels as well as giving a more colourful display!
  15. maxwell4321

Ratings:
    +385
    Glad you got it sorted
  16. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Yes, but only thanks to you.
    A few details that may help OP:
    My first download from the site did not unzip correctly but the second did and produced a .dnl file.
    I omitted:
    <Go into Satellite receiver menu and perform a factory reset>
    <Power off the satellite receiver>
    and therefore did not need to end with:
    <Setup your system and scan for channels>
    Then:
    <(Switch on the receiver and it should) begin to update>
    did not happen.
    I selected Menu> Channel Edit> S/W Transfer and the process went through three stages to 100% and then restarted the receiver.