1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMV Vita trade-in madness!

Discussion in 'PS Vita & PSP' started by leamspaceman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman Active Member

Ratings:
    +819
    If you take a boxed Vita Wi-Fi into HMV they will give you £220 trade in for it on a HMV card. They'll give you £275 for a 3G...more than they sell it for in HMV with free FIFA or Uncharted???

My friend took his Wi-Fi Vita in today and got the 3G Vita with FIFA and only paid £60 extra. Later on, his wife took the same 3G Vita back in and got £275 for it on a gift card and then immediately bought another 3G Vita with Uncharted for £270 using the credit on that card. The original Wi-Fi Vita he had cost him £197. So, he made £23 on the first trade in and got FIFA free. Then with the second trade in he made £5 and got Uncharted free. The 3G gets you Wipeout for £5.

So, he ended up paying £234 for a 3G Vita, with FIFA, Uncharted and Wipeout:eek::eek::eek:

If you value the 3 games at £100 (and that's being conservative!) then the console cost £134.

Each purchase of 3G Vita got him 28,000 HMV reward points, so 56,000 points!

I'm waiting for my replacement Wi-Fi Vita to arrive and I'll be doing exactly the same thing.

I can't understand HMV giving trade in prices higher than you actually pay for the console from elsewhere and, in the case of the 3G, more than they sell it for themselves...with a free game too??? :confused:

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/uncharted-golden-abyss-fifa-football-vita-10-hmv-when-trading-a-fully-boxed-vita-1153300#comments
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
  2. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Good deal if you can be bothered, not too sure why HMV are offering this though.. Must like losing money.
  3. stument

stument Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Thats very tempting to do... but i know if i went in they would laugh at me and mug me right off :laugh:
  4. internetuser

internetuser Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    You use the HMV app to get prices before you make a fool of your self if your peorried about that.
  5. lunch_box

lunch_box Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I think I'm going to do this and get a 3g model and FIFA for an extra 50 notes.
  6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76 Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Think I'm going to do this as well as going to be near a HMV today... :smashin:

My screen isn't the best in terms of 'Mura', with it being visible in actual dark scenes of gameplay rather than just the loading screens.

So hopefully as well as getting FIFA for a tenner, I'll end up with a slightly clearer screen as well.

I'm assuming we just remove our memory cards, and then format the system. Then link the new to our ID and carry on as we were? We don't have to unlink games from the devices or anything do we?
  7. stument

stument Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,828
    I take it the vita will have to be Boxed with all the gear, and you just go up to a staff member and say 'Ere ave a vita'
  8. splinters69

splinters69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +484
    As far as I can tell, my screen is perfect so I am not going to risk getting a dodgy one.
    Only want Uncharted to be honest and second hand prices are already dropping. Saw one go for £22 the other day...not even a week old.

Still, good deal but I already made a post about it a few days ago.
  9. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    And if you get one that's the same or worse....:facepalm:
  10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76 Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Chance I take I guess, I totally understand this is possible.... re-trade :laugh:

If I didn't see during gameplay, it'd be a non-issue I guess. The whole bottom quarter of my screen is totally dark compared to the top 3/4, so it creates a definite line between the two, and there are numerous different markings on the line with the worse one falling pretty much central of the screen so in direct focus when you play; so on camera pans on darker sections of uncharted and the dark grey / blue system menu pop-ups, you can see the markings.

I understand that is part of the tech, and no screen is perfect; so I'm not expecting this now... Just maybe one where the markings aren't so apparent and only visible on load screens.

Plus side, FIFA for a tenner, even if I only keep for a bit, I'd make more than £10 on it if I traded.
  11. stument

stument Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Im going to give this a try after work, hope i dont get a dodgey screen mines perfect at the moment :rolleyes:
  12. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    Got my replacement Wi-Fi Vita today. Went to HMV and did exactly what my friend did. I also bought a Wi-Fi Vita in Asda for my niece at £197. Took that to HMV and traded it in for another Wi-Fi Vita with FIFA. Immediately traded it in and used that to buy another Wi-Fi Vita with Uncharted. So as well as me getting the 3G for the price in my OP, I also walked out with a Wi-Fi Vita, FIFA and Uncharted for my niece. That worked out at £184 for Wi-Fi Vita with FIFA and Uncharted...so the Vita itself was £114 if you value the two games at £35 each:eek: And I got 102,000 HMV points too!

So my local HMV will have four Vitas that have not even been opened to sell as 're-play' items! No idea how much they'll sell those for?

Whoever in HMV is responsible for introducing these offers should be shot:D
  13. stument

stument Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Just traded in my Vita and picked up FIFA and VT4 :thumbsup:

Might trade it in again tomorrow :laugh:
  14. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    Nice one. Yeah, you could literally keep trading in everyday and make a killing. I did ask the staff in my HMV if they would allow this...but they said there would come a point where they would refuse. I don't see how they could though? The offer is there and there do not seem to be any 'conditions' regarding how many times you can trade-in?
  15. uksparx

uksparx Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Are they reselling the trade ins as new machines?
  16. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    I don't think they can? Even if they do, they are taking a console that they gave you £220 for and selling it for £230 with FIFA or Uncharted. The initial machine that my friend traded in was used and covered in fingerprints. At HMV they tested it and said it was okay to trade.
  17. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,441
    Dont think i could even be bothered doing that just to make a scrap of cash. Its a good job im absolutely loaded eh! ;)

ON DRUGS!! :D
  18. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76 Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    I done this earlier, was totally up front with the guy and he was all cool with it...

So now have FIFA for a tenner and a clearer screen :clap::clap:
  19. Muck9

Muck9 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Is this still on?

What is to stop people buying some Vitas from Asda for £197 then trading them in to HMV for a £23 profit (or £13 + Fifa/Uncharted)?
  20. internetuser

internetuser Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    Nothing will stop you. Unless offer ends during the process of buying one to trade one.

Easy money and people have exploited them for years
    oh and you only end up with store credit and not cash.
  21. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    It is still on. And yep, this is what I did if you read my post above #12:smashin:

I wouldn't say it's a scrap of cash. Getting a Wi-Fi Vita for £114 and a 3G Vita for £134 is a pretty hefty saving. Along with the massive amount of HMV points too. It doesn't take much effort either. Once you're in HMV, you do it all in-store.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  22. Jonstone

Jonstone Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    I would be tempted to do this myself to upgrade to a 3g vita but can't get to an hmv until Thursday when they will probably have seen the error of their ways
  23. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    I'd get in there quick. If you read the last few posts on HUKD, it would appear that HMV might have seen the error of their ways. Wouldn't be surprised if this offer is pulled soon.

I think this one offer alone could potentially have bought HMV to it's knees:D:D:D
  24. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,441
    I won euro millions last year so I carry that amount in spare change. :D
  25. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    You remind me of someone...who is it...I can't remember...it's on the tip of my tongue.........?

Oh...got it:

[​IMG]
    "I think yow'll find...I'm considerably richer than yow"

Well, you keep going on about how loaded you are. If you are, what the hell are you doing posting on here? Why are you not lounging on some private beach in Tahiti, surrounded by beautiful women who pander to your every wish? :suicide::facepalm::D
  26. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,441
    Lmao I'm only messing matey. :D
  27. jonpeat

jonpeat Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Little tip, but you have to forgo your HMV points. If you directly trade in your 'old' vita against the new one you will get an extra £10 trade-in price....making the 3G £285 (madness) and the Wi-Fi £230.

I have done this 4 times now and I'm out........if you had the inclination to keep on going you could make a lot!!!
  28. leamspaceman

Ratings:
    +819
    Lol...I know...me too:thumbsup:

Just couldn't resist though:D

See you in Tahiti. If I keep trading in Vitas I might buy a house there with the proceeds. I'll call it 'Villa Del HMV'...:rotfl:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,918
    Pmsl, you could just stand at the counter buying it and then handing it back all day lol. If they say that's enough then hop in the car and go to the next HMV lol.

Can't be bothered myself as I have a pretty perfect screen and wouldn't want a dodgy one but good deal for those who can be.
  30. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,441
    Lmao. If I had a Hmv near me id probably do it. Mine local one is miles away and in busy town with nightmare parking etc. Just not worth the hassle for me.