Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMV In Store

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Drexl, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Kat2011

Kat2011 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    People with more money than sense!
  2. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,276
    Indeed. Not that I'm jealous.

:(
    Bri
  3. allanp

allanp Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Yes but someone like David Bowie has a few quid compared to most of us!
  4. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,597
    I don't see people paying £70 on the High Street for the Aliens boxset as extraordinary. A lot of people are wholly unaware of the value of things or don't care if you can get something off the net for the half the price.
  5. dominic*

dominic* Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Apocalypse Now was £24.99, True Grit sb was £24.99 (Bluewater)
  6. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,276
    That was rather the point of posting the story.

Bri
  7. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,597
    I remember watching an interview with Elton John, it was 'a day in the life of' thing and they followed him around in HMV and he was putting handfuls of CD's and other things into a basket without looking at the prices.
  8. featherhall

featherhall Active Member

Ratings:
    +612
    yep, but considering you can buy it for £20 on the net or indeed for £29.99 from their very own web site I can imagine their faces if they found out.

Their store price is about 135% more than their web site.
  9. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    That's Entertainment, which has a store in the Metrocentre are doing 3 for a tenner on certain titles.

Not exactly great titles but we all don't like the same stuff.

About 20 titles on offer when I was browsing.
  10. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,128
    I used to ask my family for HMV vouchers for birthday and Christmas and buy a shedload of DVDs in the January sales, but since chaninging to Blu-ray I can't remember the last film I bought in there.

I still go into the HMV at the Trafford Centre filled with optimism, only to come out 5 minutes later empty handed. About 80% of the time I buy online and hte odd time I want something on release I'll get it from the Supermarket.

The local Asda and Morrisons don't have a huge range, but they generally add the best two or three new releases every week and have some pretty good first week prices (Morrisons particularly recently). Add to that the £5 vouchers I get by buying fuel at Morrisons (I put them aside for a film purchase rather than them getting swallowed up in the weekly food shop!) and I can sometimes get a new release top film for less than a tenner.
  11. KRW

KRW Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Someone head into the world cinema DVD section with a camera. Not unusual to see DVD's at £25 in my nearest one.

Actually, they've closed my local one and moved it all the Westfield Shopping centre where I imagine they'll have a few people wandering in and paying £70 for Aliens and not caring.
  12. Purperen

Purperen Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I saw that too. I remember a flunky's hand appearing from off-screen with a shopping basket and him chucking handfuls of stuff in. I think he was even saying that he had most of the CDs but was buying them again. It was a bit like an hmv version of supermarket sweep.
  13. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,597
    I can imagine their faces and they don't care. I used to get frustrated at my kids who used to go into town with their pocket money and buy CD's and Games when often they could be had for half the price online and they were aware of this. A lot of teenagers don't care about the price, if they've got the money on them and it's something they want they'll buy it there and then. And with the amount of pocket money some of my kids friends get, £70 is easily attainable. The only thing stopping them from spending it in HMV is lack of interest in watching films and/or their parents not having a BD player.
  14. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,597
    I think that flunky was his boyfriend, now husband.:)
  15. Purperen

Purperen Member

Ratings:
    +108
    No, I don't think it was 'My Partner David Furnish'.:) Probably his personal assistant. I remember him just saying "Bag" and the hand would appear with the basket for him to chuck the CDs into.
  16. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,597
    Come to think of it I do remember him ordering someone about so imagine he wouldn't have done so to his partner.
  17. spikeyjac

spikeyjac Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    Idiotic, but at the same time, if they have the money, then why not??
    My girlfriends dad can be the same, often he will buy something, regardless of the saving he could make online..
    :facepalm:
    Myself, I spend weeks before I make a purchase, researching the best possible price :D So why is my bank account so low?!
    Lol!
  18. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Saw Scream on Blu-Ray yesterday for £30, was real tempted.
  19. allanp

allanp Member

Ratings:
    +49
    That would be about £15 too much even it was the whole sodding trilogy!
  20. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Madness, it's £19.99 in mine, with the Paul steelbook at £24.99.
  21. kemixtry

kemixtry Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My local HMV is in Stockport Town centre with no competition at all. So naturally yes I'd say the prices are due to that.

But.....it is cheaper to get in the car or on the bus and go to the Trafford Centre or Manchester.

The shameful thing is that they will eventually go under. They just got bought by some over exuberant business corporates a few years back. Yet another set of rich people thinking, lets buy when the goings good and charge whatever we like. Thus the bust happened and they have a very large loan that can't be paid properly. Plus I really hope that they don't get Government help or a bail out.

Hopefully this will happen to Ticketmaster some time soon so I can buy tickets when on sale for face value, rather than on their sister site Getmein for double the price or off opportunists off ebay.
  22. Dubliner1

Dubliner1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +735
    I've seen some absurd prices at HMV in recent times...blurays priced at 30 quid one week, down to 15 quid the next week, back to 30+ the following week...but today I saw something I couldn't quite believe...'The Omen' trilogy with an absolutely trashed slipcover selling for the bargain price of 80 euros (about 70 UK pounds)!!! :rotfl:
  23. anlygi

anlygi Member

Ratings:
    +25
    They need to get Mary Portas in! Their business model does not work at all. They need to lower their prices to increase sales. If Blu-ray's were even 10-15% more than web prices then I would buy in their stores more often. I am almost a pure net guy these days but I like to go shopping on impulse and pick things up from a store now and then.

I also think I might be starting to look like a shoplifter to the security guys as I am always in but rarely buy anything!
  24. tonyk79

tonyk79 Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I have been waiting on Salt to fall in price for a while now and I recently saw it in HMV Belfast for £18.99, just got it from Tesco for £8. I can honestly say I havent bought anything from HMV for a few years now as the prices are stupid.
  25. wdw75

wdw75 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    They do charge different prices between the stores. HMV Liverpool was selling African Queen for £20, and it was £15 in my local Southport store, the two stores are only about 15 miles apart.

Crazy!
  26. Madz

Madz Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I've seen different prices in the same store, never mind different places around town.
  27. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,276
    It's an odd store. A lot of second hand stuff and quite a few bargins here and there on DVD with the odd BD bargin.

Bri
  28. lasereraser

lasereraser Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Dunno if this has been spotted but in their Braehead store today, PotC box set at £70!!!!
  29. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061

Aye, a store that actually is as dull inside as it looks from the outside. I mean c'mon, at least HMV has some bass playing in the background.:D

Very drab.
  30. Jedit

Jedit Member

Ratings:
    +25
    That is quite surprising, as the BD set of the first three movies is in the HMV sale - for £30 IIRC.