HMV In Store

On MANY titles they do have a less than £5 markup - at least if the Oxford Street branch is typical. The "over the top" pricing tends to be the exception rather than the norm in my experience.

They often charge more than the RRP. Recently Cine Asia did a promotion sellig several titles at £6.99. HMV is selling them for £10 and the Sunderland branch has them in their sale section suggesting they decided to reduce the price but they're overcharging by over 40%.

Bri

I've just had a chance to read the article. I'll ignore the bit to one side that says "Win Blu-Ray DVDs" as it appears to be an ad rather than something that HCC put there themselves.:D I don't disagree too much with their basic arguement regarding the pricing of a new format. That doesn't excuse HMV charging more than the RRP though. They use the last Harry Potter as their example saying it's RRP is £28.99. It's a triple play release which I hate. I just want the BD and really object to paying more for the other formats that I'll never use. I'm not a Potter fan myself but I bought it for my wife at £14.99. There's no way I'd have paid £28.99 for it. If that was the typical price then Blu-Ray wouldn't be where it is now.

Bri

Threads merged I don't think there's a call for 2 threads dissing HMV's in stores prices.

AVP 1&2 boxset £59.99

On MANY titles they do have a less than £5 markup - at least if the Oxford Street branch is typical. The "over the top" pricing tends to be the exception rather than the norm in my experience.

Whenever i've been in looking at the CD section for example, you'll find catalogue titles for £15. Shouldn't have even cost that brand new. Total joke.

Had to laugh the other day when I saw the Alien vs Predator box set for £30, yet the AVP Total Destruction set (with the inclusion of AVP 2 Requiem) for £85!!!!!! Thus meaning you would pay £55 for one extra (and terrible) film!

Also Scream 1, 2 and 3 on Blu-ray at £29.99 each :p

Had to laugh the other day when I saw the Alien vs Predator box set for £30, yet the AVP Total Destruction set (with the inclusion of AVP 2 Requiem) for £85!!!!!! Thus meaning you would pay £55 for one extra (and terrible) film!

Also Scream 1, 2 and 3 on Blu-ray at £29.99 each :p

Well doesn't the first have the two AVP films and the other all 6 alien films?

It was the DVD box sets. There is one called the AVP collections which has the alien, predator and AVP 1 films. Then there is another set called AVP total destruction which has all of those plus the AVP sequel.

I was looking around for new release "Black Swan".
Online price in the usual suspects £16.96/7/8/9. One or two who deserve to go out of business £24.99.
Morrisons Supermarket £17.99
Sainsburys Supermarket £19.99
Tesco (don't know - the store I visited had no Blus)
Asda - not been there yet

and HMV..... £17.99.
I was somewhat surprised.

They advertised 20% of online last weekend, but even with the code applied, it only matched at best the price with other online retailers.
Strange, they used to be great, I recall buying many HD dvd's from £2-4.99 including postage when Blu won the war.

They advertised 20% of online last weekend, but even with the code applied, it only matched at best the price with other online retailers.
Strange, they used to be great, I recall buying many HD dvd's from £2-4.99 including postage when Blu won the war.

HMV Online trades as a different company from HMV retail stores (or so a retail store rep told me when I was complaining about the whole Pure points limitation of how you spend rewards) and this thread is about retail store pricing not online pricing (which is actually comparable to other online stores in my experience).

The Hut Group (Zavvi, Sendit, the Hut) often have discount codes that mean they're sometimes cheaper, but the reliability and delivery times are much worse in my experience, and I've lost track of the number of times they've taken an order and then taken a few months to admit they can't actually deliver the title. Never had that happen with HMV Online

I guess for those on very large pay packets and the wealthy the price of a blu-ray or filling the SUV does not matter.

I BTW, live on a pension and don't own a SUV and can only buy a BD when the price is right...

HummerUK

I was looking around for new release "Black Swan".
Online price in the usual suspects £16.96/7/8/9. One or two who deserve to go out of business £24.99.
Morrisons Supermarket £17.99
Sainsburys Supermarket £19.99
Tesco (don't know - the store I visited had no Blus)
Asda - not been there yet

and HMV..... £17.99.
I was somewhat surprised.

I saw it in Asda on Saturday. I think it was £!8.97. Blockbusters and Morrisons had it for £19.99 so HMV are better on this. Along with Blockbusters they also had The King's Speech at £12.99 which is the cheapest instore price I'm aware of. Are they attempting to claw back their discounts by selling other titles over the RRP?

Bri

I guess for those on very large pay packets and the wealthy the price of a blu-ray or filling the SUV does not matter.

I BTW, live on a pension and don't own a SUV and can only buy a BD when the price is right...

HummerUK

That could be true. I was talking to someone on the weekend who reckoned her boyfriend had just spent 2k in HMV. I quipped 'did he buy the scream trilogy and the alien set?', but she didnt get it.:eek:

That could be true. I was talking to someone on the weekend who reckoned her boyfriend had just spent 2k in HMV. I quipped 'did he buy the scream trilogy and the alien set?', but she didnt get it.:eek:
I've said it before and I'll say it again shops like HMV rely heavily on people impulse buying. I used to work with a twentysomething who regularly used to go into HMV at lunch time not intending to buy a thing and come away having spent 60 quid on a couple of CD's and a couple of DVD's. And he wasn't alone, another twentysomething used to spend more than £100 a week in HMV, on each occasion before going in vowing not to spend a penny.

I've said it before and I'll say it again shops like HMV rely heavily on people impulse buying. I used to work with a twentysomething who regularly used to go into HMV at lunch time not intending to buy a thing and come away having spent 60 quid on a couple of CD's and a couple of DVD's. And he wasn't alone, another twentysomething used to spend more than £100 a week in HMV, on each occasion before going in vowing not to spend a penny.

I'm going to be doing a fair amount of that myself. Moving abroad to work for a couple of years (taking portable Blu-ray player) with just the occasional weekend trip back home. Delivery dates/cards for collection are too unpredictable in the UK so I'll most likely be going to an HMV and paying over the odds for the titles I really want on my few trips back. Compared with the swiss prices I saw (35 quid for something with German titles all over it) they'll still be a bargain!

But as we can see, this is not a sustainable business model as they are almost defaulting on their debt.

Be better to sell all their HUGE stores and open up with less floor space, piled high with latest releases at £12.99 a pop.

Job done.

irascian said:
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of that myself. Moving abroad to work for a couple of years (taking portable Blu-ray player) with just the occasional weekend trip back home. Delivery dates/cards for collection are too unpredictable in the UK so I'll most likely be going to an HMV and paying over the odds for the titles I really want on my few trips back. Compared with the swiss prices I saw (35 quid for something with German titles all over it) they'll still be a bargain!

I live abroad and get amazon.co.uk to deliver to me, my last parcel took five days to get to China and the postage costs was £6 for two boxsets and two films.

But as we can see, this is not a sustainable business model as they are almost defaulting on their debt.
The business model has stumbled because of the ipod generation, HMV appealed mostly to younger people and the current crop don't buy CD's etc in the same quantities as previous generations.

I live abroad and get amazon.co.uk to deliver to me, my last parcel took five days to get to China and the postage costs was £6 for two boxsets and two films.

Thanks. Useful to know.

I had a feeling that with a credit card registered to a UK address but delivery abroad might be a problem.

One issue is not having a properl delivery address. Am already being ripped off (what the expats call "being Switzerlanded") to the tune of £1300/month for "serviced accommodation" (single room with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities) and wasn't prepared to pay the "optional" £35/month to be allowed to have mail deliveries on top. Might see if I can get stuff sent to work address instead though.

They did actually have some pretty good blu-ray prices in that offer - Last Chance To See was £5.59 (amazon about £14), the newly released a-ha live concert was £10.39 (Sainsburys £11.99), X-Men Quadrilogy box set was £11.99 (most places were something like £16-25 I think), the Dark Knight/Batman Begins boxset was £10.79 (amazon £13.50) as was the BBC 'Earth' boxset (Earth - Power of the Planet and How the Earth Made Us).

I don't often buy from HMV as their prices usually aren't that good even in the sales but they do have their moments. Picked up KT Tunstall's Drastic Fantastic CD in my local HMV the other day for £3 and I haven't seen it anything like that cheap anywhere else.

Thanks. Useful to know.

I had a feeling that with a credit card registered to a UK address but delivery abroad might be a problem.

As a general rule you can have a billing address and a delivery address but a foreign delivery address might cause a problem.

Bri

Thanks. Useful to know.

One issue is not having a properl delivery address. Am already being ripped off (what the expats call "being Switzerlanded") to the tune of £1300/month for "serviced accommodation" (single room with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities) and wasn't prepared to pay the "optional" £35/month to be allowed to have mail deliveries on top. Might see if I can get stuff sent to work address instead though.

That's about what you would be paying for a similar property on the island over here, one of the reasons I live on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong!

As a general rule you can have a billing address and a delivery address but a foreign delivery address might cause a problem.

Bri

No Amazon are fine with it, before I got a credit card with a bank out here I used my UK CC with no problems.

Having the memory of a gold fish i was ment to pre order Tangled 3D so we could watch on a certain day.
I spent a good 20 minutes looking around my local town before i finally gave in to buying it from HMV because the simply reason being it's £5 more than on line in store and man does that bug me,yeah some may say i'm tight and your paying for the convenance, but i spoke to the guy serving me and they know it will eventually put them out of a job,i guess it's a do or die situation,as if they compete on price maybe they wouldn't be able to finance the store and keep there jobs,a sad situation because as a consumer price speaks volumes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom