1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMV In Store

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Drexl, Mar 20, 2011.

1. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,277
    I've said it before and I'll say it again shops like HMV rely heavily on people impulse buying. I used to work with a twentysomething who regularly used to go into HMV at lunch time not intending to buy a thing and come away having spent 60 quid on a couple of CD's and a couple of DVD's. And he wasn't alone, another twentysomething used to spend more than £100 a week in HMV, on each occasion before going in vowing not to spend a penny.
  2. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    I'm going to be doing a fair amount of that myself. Moving abroad to work for a couple of years (taking portable Blu-ray player) with just the occasional weekend trip back home. Delivery dates/cards for collection are too unpredictable in the UK so I'll most likely be going to an HMV and paying over the odds for the titles I really want on my few trips back. Compared with the swiss prices I saw (35 quid for something with German titles all over it) they'll still be a bargain!
  3. djjimbob

djjimbob Member

Ratings:
    +29
    But as we can see, this is not a sustainable business model as they are almost defaulting on their debt.

Be better to sell all their HUGE stores and open up with less floor space, piled high with latest releases at £12.99 a pop.

Job done.
  4. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod Active Member

Ratings:
    +277
    I live abroad and get amazon.co.uk to deliver to me, my last parcel took five days to get to China and the postage costs was £6 for two boxsets and two films.
  5. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,277
    The business model has stumbled because of the ipod generation, HMV appealed mostly to younger people and the current crop don't buy CD's etc in the same quantities as previous generations.
  6. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Thanks. Useful to know.

I had a feeling that with a credit card registered to a UK address but delivery abroad might be a problem.

One issue is not having a properl delivery address. Am already being ripped off (what the expats call "being Switzerlanded") to the tune of £1300/month for "serviced accommodation" (single room with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities) and wasn't prepared to pay the "optional" £35/month to be allowed to have mail deliveries on top. Might see if I can get stuff sent to work address instead though.
  7. Fozzybear

Fozzybear Member

Ratings:
    +311
    They did actually have some pretty good blu-ray prices in that offer - Last Chance To See was £5.59 (amazon about £14), the newly released a-ha live concert was £10.39 (Sainsburys £11.99), X-Men Quadrilogy box set was £11.99 (most places were something like £16-25 I think), the Dark Knight/Batman Begins boxset was £10.79 (amazon £13.50) as was the BBC 'Earth' boxset (Earth - Power of the Planet and How the Earth Made Us).

I don't often buy from HMV as their prices usually aren't that good even in the sales but they do have their moments. Picked up KT Tunstall's Drastic Fantastic CD in my local HMV the other day for £3 and I haven't seen it anything like that cheap anywhere else.
  8. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,220
    As a general rule you can have a billing address and a delivery address but a foreign delivery address might cause a problem.

Bri
  9. almightygoodgod

Ratings:
    +277
    That's about what you would be paying for a similar property on the island over here, one of the reasons I live on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong!

No Amazon are fine with it, before I got a credit card with a bank out here I used my UK CC with no problems.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Riverbank

Riverbank Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Having the memory of a gold fish i was ment to pre order Tangled 3D so we could watch on a certain day.
    I spent a good 20 minutes looking around my local town before i finally gave in to buying it from HMV because the simply reason being it's £5 more than on line in store and man does that bug me,yeah some may say i'm tight and your paying for the convenance, but i spoke to the guy serving me and they know it will eventually put them out of a job,i guess it's a do or die situation,as if they compete on price maybe they wouldn't be able to finance the store and keep there jobs,a sad situation because as a consumer price speaks volumes.
  11. StarlPa

StarlPa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Might in fact be worth visiting an HMV. Yesterday I picked up The Damned United - BluRay, WatchMen: Director's Cut - BluRay (in the Ltd Edition Dr Manhattan case) and Jackboots on Whitehall (DVD). They were £3 each!
  12. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,277
  13. Riverbank

Riverbank Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just got a 3D LG set up so trying to track some 3D bargains.But agreed always worth a look in the sales.
  14. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I got a LG 3D TV at Xmas. Last time it was in 3D mode was January :)

Still, I only have one pair of specs :(

HummerUK
  15. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,220
  16. Riverbank

Riverbank Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It came with 7 pairs, it's the new flicker free cinema spec and so far i'm more than pleased.
  17. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,277
  18. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,220
    Especially when you don't have one near by.

:D
    Bri
  19. Jedit

Jedit Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Oh, that's nothing. I saw them selling the Harry Potter 1-6 box for I think it was £45 and the Harry Potter 1-5 box for £60. In other words, they were charging you £15 for one less film.
  20. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,220
    That is absurd.

Bri
  21. Damo77

Damo77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought The Breakfast Club on VHS from HMV, £26.99. Does that sound a bit steep? Now thinking maybe I should have looked online.
  22. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Ouch! That was released on Blu-ray just a few weeks ago with a maximum RRP of £13.99. Most online sites were selling it for about £8.50 on the day of release.
  23. IAN P

IAN P Member

Ratings:
    +1,060

You got a bargain there.
  24. Damo77

Damo77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I thought. Next for Ferris Buellers Day Off, £19.99 has got to be worth while!
  25. anlygi

anlygi Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I went in on my lunch today for a laugh (Flagship Belfast store) and come out with 'Inception' triple play and 'The Town' on 2 for £20!

A saving of £8.30 on Amazon prices, so there are bargains among the rip-offs!
  26. almightygoodgod

Ratings:
    +277
    I nipped into my local HMV and found these two 'bargains'.

Friends DVD boxset...

[​IMG]

...translates to about GBP170.

Also Sex and the City DVD boxset...

[​IMG]

...at a whopping GBP220!
  27. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Wow please get me one, I'll pay postage in old money or stamps :D
  28. spikeyjac

spikeyjac Active Member

Ratings:
    +390
    Was in Oxford street today -
    Season 3 and 4 of csi Miami - £5 each on DVD - pretty good me thinks!
    So then I planned on getting season 1 and 2 - £25 each!! Shocking!!
    Csi season 1-8 - £100!!
    Shocking!!
  29. kingkarl

kingkarl Active Member

Ratings:
    +660
    How about 24 season 1-8 boxset on standard DVD for an amazing price of £234.99 ! :eek: !

Fantastic value considering I bought these for £15.99 per boxset 6 months ago from Play ...... What jokers :rotfl:
  30. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    The HMV store at Gatwick (opens at 5am - thank God!) had a bunch of stuff at prices cheaper than available online. I got "Treme Season 1", "The Stanley Kubrick Collection", "I Saw The Devil" and "Witchfinder General" all for cheaper prices than were being offered by HMV Online and Amazon.

It's just a pain not knowing as you leave the country what they'll have in stock and what they won't so you could pay the higher prices elsewhere for titles you really want.