1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMV In Store - Steelbooks Unsealed ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray Steelbooks' started by Movie BEXtra, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Called in my local HMV today blu-ray and steelbook hunting (didn't get anything though) but did notice nearly every steelbook in store was unsealed? The cases were empty and had stickers stating this. So has theft been a problem? A lot were damaged (scratches, missing paint and sticker marks) which would of been unacceptable to a collector. Are they customer returns? Just wondering what's going on? The only ones i found sealed was A Touch Of Evil and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
  2. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,273
    i wish hmv would put all there steelbooks in one section, not spread all over the place. instore its hit and miss whether or not you can find anything at all its always disorganised chaos everytime i venture in there, and i only go because people buy me giftcards..as we all know their prices are ridiculous instore
  3. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Totally agree they should have a steelbook section and KEEP THEM SEALED! Some in store prices are a joke, i always check their online prices on my phone just to see the difference. Even with gift cards i begrudge using them in store because you don't get much for your money.
  4. Keane

Keane Active Member

Ratings:
    +331
    Much as I love steelbooks, it's a bit unreasonable to expect HMV to dedicate a whole 'section' to them... I mean, how many titles do they realistically have in stock at any one time? maybe half a dozen or so? :)
  5. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,273
    absolutely .. I want to pick transformers 3d its 24.99 instore/online when it can be had for 16.99 elsewhere, that is a massive mark up, the only saving grace is that ..this time the online price is the same
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra Member

Ratings:
    +24
    OK maybe not a SECTION but a couple of dedicated SHELVES would do? :thumbsup:They are always dotted around all over crammed in tight, in between other things. I can't imagine the average person i.e a non-collector handling them well and with what i saw on Saturday at my local store UNSEALED steelbooks ALL with some sort of damage. I would say those are now worthless.
  7. Coximus Prime

Coximus Prime Member

Ratings:
    +121
    I went HMV in Gunwharf Quays and all the Devils Double were open albeit still had the cardboard sleeve over it. Very confused to why?
  8. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Very confusing indeed. Possibly theft has been a problem? Or they are customer returns. Either way not a good move in my book very off putting to me as a buyer, not that i like to pay the higher in store prices. Also takes the fun or thrill away from unwrapping the steelbook for me, but i'm a tad sad lol. Not to mention more damage risk.
  9. jammyone

jammyone Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,121
    To be fair although I didn't really OCD inspect them but today in HMV Sheffield High St. all the SBs I saw were sealed apart from a very few cellopane rips.
  10. lgans316

lgans316 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +860
    For most OCDs, even cellophane rip or loose disc is a deal breaker.:eek:
  11. jammyone

jammyone Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,121
    True :laugh:

To be fair there was only a couple with a rip most of the steelbooks looked mint.
  12. lgans316

lgans316 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +860
    That's good to hear. Situation similar to Salt Steelbook on the shelves.:)
  13. barnaby jones

barnaby jones Member

Ratings:
    +229
    They were all sealed in my local HMV the other day !?
  14. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Yep i am OCD when buying steelbooks they cost enough and have more chance of being damaged due to what they are made from compared to amaray cases. Cellophane wrap isn't going to do much to protect them. So yes ripped cellophane and loose disc would be deal breakers for me. I inspect all cases, covers etc before purchase.