1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD6600 Post delivery & Setting Up

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by azzy129, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azzy129

azzy129 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for the 6600 in which we could all contribute our opinions/comments/advice on our experience once the Plasma has been to delivered to all that purchased one offering advice on the best way to setup. I'm sure you'll all agree that the original thread for this telly is way too lengthy and busy now. I'm expecting mine to be delivered early next week and by reading other post's it seems other's are expecting their's about the same time.
  2. robbierroy

robbierroy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Great idea azzy129 to create this new thread. I am waiting for Currys to telephone me to arrange a delivery date (god, I sound like an expectent father!). In the meantime, I am looking forward to reding the posts in this thread as they roll in.
    Robbierroy
  3. HappyHowie

HappyHowie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is due a week today ...

so look forward to (hopfully) some positive posts on the forum as the early "Plungers" get theirs in later this week.
  4. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

One of my mates set up his 6600 yesterday and he was praising it very highly... the picture with Telewest cable was gorgeous, or so he said.. apparently much better than Sky. He's got both Telewest and Sky.. he's also considering whether to get component leads for the DVD.

BTW, he previously owned a Hitachi 5200 plasma for a few weeks, which he thought was pretty good for picture quality but it developed a fault making it buzz quite loudly and so he managed to return it and get a refund after much trouble.. and now he's bought the 6600 to replace it.

From what he said, the picture was much brighter and natural looking on the 6600 compared to his old plasma with no motion blur/judder that he's seen so far .. on first impressions, he's well impressed.. and so were the kids he said, when he put on Spider Man 2 (superbit DVD) ..

Can't wait to get mine now :) - i've had to delay the delivery for about a month, as we're currently doing some home improvement.. looking forward to reading other people's experiences with the 6600 and I hope they are as positive as my mate's...
  5. MR.COATES

MR.COATES Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine's arriving this Saturday (3rd September).

Had another look at it over the weekend. Comet in Glasgow have a few Plasma screens connected up "properly" to HD material.

They had the Hitachi 7200 running HD material via HDMI and it looked absolutely fantastic.

So if the 6600 has the same screen then, processing gubbins aside, I'd imagine that the picture should be similarly impressive.

Can't wait to get my Samsung 950 rigged up to it!
  6. soultrader

soultrader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    got mine today - will let you know how i get on with setup - bit confused what to use really as sky looks better through the rf input than it does with the scart! - also had it on the svideo and to be honest cant tell that much different - then again i did have a housefull at the time so ill have time to play tonight

does anyone have a sky remote code yet that works with it - sky dont have a clue and all those listed for hitachi dont work apart from 071 which just mutes with the volume down button and does nothing else :)
  7. Crawford2

Crawford2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly bourght a Pioneer 435XDE last week (was attempting to get it in before test match) but got fed up of nonsense from various salesman at various discount outlets. Was going to part with 2200 of the hard earned stuff when I discovered new Pioneer model was due out in few weeks... so I put the project on hold.

Then on Friday I saw tv advert for Hitachi HD ready 42" (model 42PD6600) at £1500 in Currys. Sat am went to local store and bourght one (only had one in stock so took it away with me).

For anyone out there undecided I can say it's great. PQ is fantastic (much better at home than in store). Got a black glass stand too (£170) and am very happy with whole thing. Have a denon 1905 amp and bose speakers (for those interested) and the whole set up looks and sounds great (to my non techie ears and eyes!). My advice...good brand 42" and HD ready at £1500 = no brainer.

One question....what is best way to connect playstation 2?
  8. RHCP

RHCP Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Do us all a favour and put us out of our misery! :suicide:

Take a couple of pictures (more the better) of it in action !

Were all dying to see it :)
  9. robbierroy

robbierroy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi soultrader
    I am still awaiting confirmation of delivery of my plasma. If you get the chance, let me know how the US Open Tennis on Sky Sports 2 looks on the Hitachi. :lease: I look forward to you reporting back on best settings for picture quality in general. :lesson:
    Thanks
    Robbierroy
  10. HappyHowie

HappyHowie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Especially would like to see all the connections round the back if possible ...

I have to see where Sky HD, Xbox 360,PC and all the existing gadgets will plug in..

cheers

p.s. dont mention the Sky HD or XBox 360 to the wife !
  11. bluecupra

bluecupra Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see a picture off the 6600 aswell. The screen is expected in two weeks time here in the Netherlands.

I have read the several topics on this forum and am very interested in this 42" plasma

Jeffrey
  12. Quicksilver25

Quicksilver25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please tell me the height of the panel from the bottom of the stand to the top of the panel, also the width of the panel edge to edge(cm)?
    Many thanks,
    Q. :hiya: oh, also how much does it weigh?
  13. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Don't know about the other bits, but it will be bloody heavy, if my 7200 is anything to go by.

The 7200 is 37Kg excluding the speakers and stand (from the manual)

Speakers and stand, another 7-8 Kg ????

HT slightly H mate :smashin:
  14. windie

windie Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Will try and get you folks a couple of pictures tomorrow evening, not quite finished the decorating yet. So cannot put screen up :( .

It's driving me crazy, must be a sort of penance for wanting to enjoy myself :D A sort of pleasure and pain thing.

Measurements are (in old money)

Height including the stand 31"
    Thickness, not including wall mounting lugs 4" (allow about 1/2")
    Length a smidgin over 41"

Hope this helps
  15. windie

windie Member

Ratings:
    +28
    The weight is about the 37Kg as mentioned above, also don't expect much from the "distructions" they look like they were written by a 3 year old.

I was wondering where they had cut costs
  16. Quicksilver25

Quicksilver25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a great help! :thumbsup:
    Thanks guys. :smashin:
    Q.
  17. Gaz B

Gaz B Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine last Sunday and I've been tinkering with the colour settings etc and have had some good results.

My Xbox looks awesome in 480p (Halo 2), 720p (Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4) and 1080i (Xbox Media Centre etc) and so does my prog scan DVD Recorder.

Sky suffers from some problems (digital artefacts etc) but I assume that was due to the source material - Challenge TV, Bullseye actually :D as the EPG and such are pin sharp.
  18. soultrader

soultrader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, here is my initial day with my new 6600.

getting it out of the box is easy as it has a slide carton - just remove the black tags at the bottom and slide the top off and there you are.

As for weight, well it's light to me. Taking my panasonic tx32 off the stand was more hard work than putting the 6600 on it which i managed alone so in my opinion it aint heavy (not when you think that an old sony took 3 people to lift onto the wall at my mates house)

Connections are numerous having 6 external inputs plus rf. It has 3 scarts, svhs,component,composite,hdmi and vga. These are all located at the bottom of the set to the rear.

An oversight is that there are no front connectors for those 'one off' occasions like connecting a video camera. In fact theres nothing on the front at all apart from a single led which denotes its on.

The screen is the anti reflective type which looks a blueish colour when not switched on

so with screen in place i thought lets just stick sky+ on through a scart and have a look.

I then had to spend 5 mins finding out how to turn it on with the remote before searching through the manual to find out that the power button was on the lower flange to the right tucked away from sight.

So anyway, i got it switched on and onto sky.

To say i was dissappointed would be an understatement. The initial picture was terrible and the sound was distorting. I expected to have to mess around with the picture but i did think the sound would be good - it wasnt. To get the sound right i had to reduce the sound input from the sky+ box right down as the output was too strong for the tv. - then it was fine after some tweaking.

I found the setup menu ok and found that the defaults were all set for maximum contrast and not far off max brightness, no wonder it was crappy.

At first i has image ghosting where everything had like a line around it and this was concenrning but as the set sat there this slowly dissappeared - guess it was something to do wth transporting it maybe??

I let the autotune menu then detect sky from the rf as well which was suprisingly good (could hardly tell the difference between that and the scart) - i attached my dvd player to the compo input and then started messing with the pic.

Nice thing is that you can set each external input with different settings and all the defaults can be altered - you know, the dynamic, normal etc

after all this messing i finally sat down to watch the tv and i gotta say that to me it was stunning. True the blacks arent the best but the picture sure is bright and clear with fantastic reds. Flesh tones were good albeit a little pink but after a little more messing were perfect and crystal clear.

at the side of my mates Sony ( a few years old now) it was stupendously bright and crisp. By the time it had settled down i was seriously comparing it with my panasonic 32" crt in terms of PQ and it was on a par but brighter and more vivid.

biggest problem i have is finding the remote control code for the sky remote to operate it - ive emailed sky now for a code but im not holding my breath - if any of you can help that would be great

all in all a thumbs up from me for £1500
  19. MR.COATES

MR.COATES Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good honest first impression - cheers soul.

Any pics would be good too of course. (Do you have an upscaling DVD player to give the HD a bit of a try?).
  20. Gaz B

Gaz B Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Soultrader - what settings are you using for Sky?

I assume you are using RGB yes?
  21. soultrader

soultrader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yes im in the scart on rgb, slightly better than rf - thinking of getting a cable from keene electronics to generate composite from the scart - bit expensive tho at £75 :) - ill just wait for the sky box with hdtv out
  22. RHCP

RHCP Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Can anyone download the manual or brochure from the hitachi site? Or is it just my comp playing up!
  23. robbierroy

robbierroy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    RCHP-
    Just tried this - The "download Brochure" option retuns a file not found error in IE and thw "User Guide" search fails to return any hits.
    What a disappointment.
    Robbierroy
  24. robbierroy

robbierroy Member

Ratings:
    +7
  25. NAR

NAR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had mine now for a couple of days.

Freeview running off an old ITV digital box in RGB mode;

Picture goes from good on BBC1 to bad on some of the lower bitrate channels. Generally ok.

I still have still not found good settings for Footy even on the BBC higher rate channels.

DVD progressive scan via component is very nice

PC connection from laptop running HD demos looks as good as anything I have seen , though I have not got to 1280*768 that it claims to do in the manual (only 1024*768).

Nigel
  26. RHCP

RHCP Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Are you using a vga cable to connect your computer?

Any chance of posting some pics? :)
  27. windie

windie Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Just a couple of piccys from tonights tv all are from SKY

Not had too much of a play with the screen yet just turned down the contrast as it was set way too high

Never done this before so if I screw up be kind and I will have another bash.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1941/dscf01464fa.jpg

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7106/dscf01441ig.jpg

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6816/dscf01481vd.jpg

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7149/dscf01493ga.jpg

I havent messed with the images at all, and as you will see if the images are there, I'm no david Bailey

The penance I'm paying for this new tv is way too high, never painted as many walls in one house before. Think I will be scrubbing next ;) Hope it;s all worth it
  28. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Superb pictures there Windie, the bright and vivid colours on the Hitachi 6600 are there to see.. they really are exceptional..

BTW, noticed you've been watching the cricket.. how did you find it on the Hitachi 6600? compared with your old tv (I'm assuming a CRT?)..

I watch a lot of cricket and football.. and I really hope the 6600 does a good job with motion. I read a review of the Hitachi PD7200 in What LCD/Plasma mag a few weeks ago where they rated the Hitachi as the best plasma , for watching footy.. this was in a group review of several other plasmas, including the PV500 (which also got a very good review with how it coped with footy).

From the demo I had of the 6600 last week, with some cricket (actually rain stopped play at Trent Bridge, just as the Currys salesman set up the Freeview :cool: ) and it looked okay... but it seems the PD7200 might have an edge , due to its PictureMaster processing.. either way I ain't too fussed about it, as long as watching football/cricket does not suffer from serious motion blur/judder..
  29. windie

windie Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Majid,

No issues with either on sky sports, although I found the football on Monday evening to a little pixelated(think thats a word), But we have had a lot of rain where I live and it affects sky a little. The replays of the football were not as good but definately watchable.

As other people have said reference plasmas and Sky on the lesser channels you notice the defects in the encoded pictures. But I for one am chuffed to bits with the screen.

When I have finished setting up, or in the words of the lovely lady in my life, decorating I have a media centre to connect, will post a couple of pictures of that if it happens before the weekend.

The picture from DVD is far superior to SKY, just to wet your appetite a little. Hope you enjoy your screen when it finally appears.
  30. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Windie, and btw.. just looked at your last pic, the black levels aren't all that bad considering that was in the dark, I've seen plasmas/LCds with blacks which look a lot worse..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.