Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hisense media player

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by Subliminal Aura, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobycgraham

tobycgraham Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks JH.. will try that one out. Fingers crossed.
  2. twosheds

twosheds Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I received my Hisense yesterday and have connected it to my Sony Bravia W5810 TV via an HDMI cable. If I switch the TV on BEFORE the Hisense the resolution is automatically set to 480P and the only other option available is 'Auto HDMI'. There is no audio. As far as I can tell, the resolution remains the same whatever video I choose to watch. However if I switch the TV on AFTER the Hisense then I'm able to choose any resolution I want up to 1080P and the audio can be heard. Switching the Hisense off and back on again causes it to revert to 480P and the audio to be switched off.

I've checked all the options on the Hisense and the TV but can't find any setting which will stop this occurring. Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?
  3. 88mph

88mph Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

I am currently using Component, which is working pretty well to be honest (without the problems as described above) but was going to buy a HDMI cable to replace it. Should I?
  4. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Yes,, a HDMI is only a couple of quid, from amazon,, dont know if you will get a better picture though HDMI,, I have no issues with mine..
  5. gypsy182

gypsy182 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    twosheds: This might be the Hisense sending bad data over the CEC channel causing TV issues. Find out by chopping pin 13 off the HDMI cable :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...e-mp800h-interferes-tvs-use-hdmi-cec-arc.html
  6. rogthedog

rogthedog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Just set my account up, been a visitor to the forum for a few years, have always found my questions answered... until now.

I bought the MP800H on Friday and it was delivered today.. however, I can't seem to figure out how to get to get my wifi dongle to work with it - I have a ZyXel G202. Is this product compatible, and, if it is, would someone who knows how to get it to work be so kind as to help me out please?! :)

Of course, if I need a different dongle, I'd appreciate being told that too!!

Thanks alot!
  7. CBX

CBX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been seriously looking at the Hisense, but it's been a year and the GUI is still poor, basic mp3 functions etc. That's not to attack it for those that are happy with it - I guess I'm too spoilt by XMBC on my aging XBOX.

I always thought I wasn't bothered by superficial things like GUI. Wrong!

Then again I can find fault with all the options within my price range. I'm too picky for my own good.
  8. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    wd tv Live custom firmware,, new OSD, and it will be the new love of your life,, and you can dress it up, to look like XBMC.. LOL
  9. Ian.Jackson

Ian.Jackson Member

Ratings:
    +37
    My Hisense plus HDMI cable talks to my Sony TV at 1080p no problems at all.

I have it set to HDMI Auto and let the tv and hisense negotiate an acceptable resolution. Since the TV does 1080p that is what it defaults to.

So there need not be a problem with using HDMI. Getting lower res could be a settings problem or some TV/Cable incompatibility but there is nothing inherently wrong with the HISense and HDMI running at 1080p or whatever.

I would recommend choosing the HDMI auto setting to start with and then play around with hard coded resolution settings if you really feel the need.
  10. Ian.Jackson

Ian.Jackson Member

Ratings:
    +37
    My hisense plus HDMI plus sony 1080p tv works just fine so most likely the problem lies in the settings you have chosen.

Make sure you disconnect any composite cables if you are using the HDMI - the TV may be synching to the composite signal and not the hdmi.

Also there is a setting in the audio set up if you want audio via HDMI then you need to make sure that you've chosen HDMI RAW or the other HDMI option (lapcm?). Maybe the lost audio is because the tv is expecting audio via the RCA plugs rather than hdmi becuase it is has chosen to use the composite video rather than the hdmi. So I guess I'm saying check your cabling.
  11. twosheds

twosheds Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice, Ian, but I don't have any other cables connected and have the HiSense set to 'HDMI RAW'. I've also tried setting the video to 'Auto HDMI' but the video looks no different to when the video is 480P and the resolution of the chosen video makes no difference to that displayed on the TV(the Sony reports it all at 480P) Once the video is playing I'm unable to switch the video away from 480P but if I switch on the equipment in the order described above I can switch the video resolution to any one of the several offered by the Hisense and the Sony reports the same resolution.

Maybe it's a problem with the Bravia W5810 firmware.
  12. Ian.Jackson

Ian.Jackson Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm sorry I have no other suggestions then.

It sounds as if your TV and Hisense can't agree a higher resolution so select the lowest default which is the 480p setting aka standard definition resolution. HDMI is clever but I guess there is no guarantee that it will work in all cases.

Could be a TV firmware problem. My sony is a couple of years old but has never had any HDMI problems.

Can you try the hisense on a different TV just to confirm that the Hisense can work at HD - that way you eliminate the possibility that your Hisense is faulty.
  13. sgtpepper23

sgtpepper23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, i just broke the remote control *the black lid at the bottom fell off and the silver thingy that holds up the batteries wont seal back.

Is there any way i can buy just the remote or something?

or is any trustworthy person on here willing to sell a spare or something?

pm me
  14. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think Wi-Fi is enabled at the moment. I have a Sumvision USB dongle which works with my PlayOn HD mini (same Realtek chipset as the Hisense). When the Hisense is turned on it flashes a message to say the Wi-Fi is enabled. However it's not possible to see anything on the network.

Probably needs a firmware update?
  15. twosheds

twosheds Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately, I've only got the W5810. I'll have to live with the problem for now and just remember to switch my equipment on in the right order. In all other aspects, I'm extremely pleased with the Hisense.
  16. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Was not aware the MP800H was Wifi compatible....A Wifi dongle usually requires driver support so unless the media player is designed to support a particular chipset etc it ain't gonna work. Your options are a ethernet cable or a Homeplug between the device and your router/switch etc.
  17. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Unless the MP800H or your MAC supports auto detect crossover - no you cant do that. In which case you could try a crossover Ethernet cable.

Not an expert on this stuff but I suspect either way you will need to set manual IP addresses etc.

Google will help you with this bit.. e.g.
    Connect 2 Computers Directly Using Crossover Cable
  18. Blue Cheese

Blue Cheese Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hit the HiSense to fill the gaps my PS3 couldn't fill and I'm pretty happy for £40.

Although the player is very basic in looks, build and GUI, MKVs are now not the enemy and some subtitled .avi files now work where with the PS3 they didn't.

I have 3 (numpty) questions..

1) How do you find out how much time is remaining when watching video? I can find out how much time has passed but not remaining.

2) I got my V-Bridge badged player from Expansys 2/3 weeks ago. My control is the new black one. However, I cannot find out what firmware version I'm on.

3) Can anyone recommend new or unofficial (or other player) firmwares? Also, what were the improvements.

thanks in advance,

BC
  19. fragger

fragger Member

Ratings:
    +2
  20. fragger

fragger Member

Ratings:
    +2
    got mine this week and from a passport drive it reads all my mkv's ect :) now from the pc it only finds a few mkv's but all xvid are found anybody ? is it the mkvs coding wrong ??
  21. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Go to Settings/System and then press the MSG key (the one above Yellow/F3)

My V-bridge, also from Expansys 2/3 weeks ago has v045.

Anyone know any details about v046 and v049? Are they both compatible with the v-bridge remote?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  22. stefor

stefor Member

Ratings:
    +5
  23. cjed

cjed Active Member

Ratings:
    +447
    The link given was for the default English firmware releases. To see all the MP-800H firmware (including Chinese default releases) go to the directory above.

Hisense English Firmware Releases

All Hisense Firmware Releases

V049 firmware is in the second link. NOTE: These directories contain firmware releases for other Hisense products. Only use those which begin "MP800H" on the MP-800H player.
  24. Blue Cheese

Blue Cheese Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info. I've also realised the MSG button also gives total time of the film plus time elapsed. I'm on v45 also.
  25. AppleMike

AppleMike Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Now £34.99 at Expansys with free P&P - Deal of the week :)
  26. stefor

stefor Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for this.

Just put V46 en on, but noticed on the full list there's a V49, so downloaded it. Was just about to install it but noticed that it was created BEFORE the V46 file!! Is this the right file to have? I want this to be as up to date as possible, but don't fancy putting V49 on, only to find it's older than the English V46.

Cheers
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  27. Toffeeman

Toffeeman Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I am looking at buying the MP800H.

Can anybody tell me what the menus are like in terms of the items? For example, does it show a picture or customised cover art for the items? Or is it only text?

Thanks in advance!
  28. DerekElephant

DerekElephant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, first post.

I was considering building a HTPC but have stumbled across the Hinsense and think it will do the job when connected to a USB HDD.

A couple of questions regarding the music player as I understand it is very basic;

Can you create playlists?
    Can you play a whole album in a 'oner' or does the player simply play one file at a time?

If anyone could advise it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
  29. DynaMight

DynaMight Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just ordered one of these to 'replace' my Xbox with XBMC and the Limit Bluray player (XBMC for Xvid and Limit for MKV) Both do the job really well, but Limit was a little annoying having to split the files and transfer to external HDD and although XBMC is amazing in every way, lack of HD MKV support is a massive shame.

I'll see how it goes!
  30. owenhamburg

owenhamburg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I would love one of these as a general purpose linux box. As a linux user I have some questions.

Has anyone requested the source code for this boxes firmware under the GPL you should be able to, and then we could make this thing much better.
    Has anyone booted a custom kernel on this hardware?
    Has anyone managed to netboot this device?
    Has anyone found a serial port on this hardware? If so whats the output on boot up?
    Does the firmware have the command "dmesg" if so whats the output? Please plug in a USB keyboard and see if thats detected with dmesg.
    Does the firmware have the "lsmod" command if so whats the output?
    Does this firmware have the "lspci" command if so whats the output?
    Has anyone compiled and executed their own C code on this hardware?
    Does this hard ware have an MMU?
    Has anyone put a chroot on a USB stick and run say debian?
    Does the firmware have any commands like aplay?
    Does the firmware use X11 to do video?

All the answers to these questions are very interesting to me and may lead me to buy one, as I think it would make a great HIFI device (think squeeze box or MPD) or porting mythtv/xbmp

Regards

Owen
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.