1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hisense media player

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by Subliminal Aura, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpuckett

mpuckett Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just don't get it. I have tried everything. I have the latest Thanksgiving firmware installed, but the networking of this box just seems to be a disaster. Almost nothing seems to work over the network to my box. I can't display .jpgs, there are massive drop outs playing .mp3s, I get file errors when trying to play .aac, it won't play .iso files. Absolutely nothing works reliably over the network using file sharing. And it won't connect to my mediatomb UPnP server even though win7 and my Roku audio player connect to it without problems.

I have observed the network traffic with Wireshark and it looks to be a total mess. There are tcp repeated ack problems, and tons of connection resets that occur. The UPnP protocol seems to work between the box and my server as it broadcasts the request for a media server and my server responds and the box and the server exchange information but it just doesn't show up as a media server on the box, and the box repeatedly continues to request a media server.

My network is otherwise healthy. I have never seen repeated acks and connection resets like this before with any other devices on the network.

I know the box is functional because it will play content from a USB device without any problems. It is just the network that seems to have these issues.

Am I the only one having networking problems on this device?
  2. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    No mate, sorry, but after days of frustration with the loose power supply on this model, the usb lead poking out to the side and the networking in windows 7.. I gave up and returned it... bought a WDTV Live.. and its a dream.. 10 minutes to set up and exactly what i wanted... a tiny unobtrusive player and easy to use.
  3. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I have happily played 1080p MKV and also DVD ISO files from a NAS drive for the past month or so.
    At one point I was using a 10m flat (under carpet) ethernet cable and again no issues.

Perhaps you have a faulty ethernet port on yours?
  4. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    with windows 7? I just gave up....
  5. mpuckett

mpuckett Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe so. It has no problem navigating around shared folders on the network it just gives all sorts of transfer errors when attempting to play any sort of media over the net. It hangs and even crashes and restarts during network transfers. I am not a happy camper with my purchase of this box.

I guess I may have to try returning it for a replacement and see if that fixes things or not.

I am connected through a Gb switch to multiple Linux hosts running Samba and Medaitomb.
  6. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well i take back all the things i said about the WDTV Live and it's praise for the more powerful Sigma chip as from what i've been reading the lack of Media support and container files on the WDTV Live is not due to early firmware as i and many others first thought but a restriction placed on WD by the MPAA and copyright group to restrict pirated media on the player regardless of where it is sold.And by all accounts WD is in no hurry to try and get these restrictions removed or add extra media support and may never add Blu-Ray support period.And B-Rad.CC has announced at the homebrew forum that extra codec and media container support is not going to happen or be added by the homebrew community.

:(

So to me that totally kills off the WDTV Live and i'll be joining the Realtek / Hisense Appreciation Society full time considering they can play pretty much every format straight out of the box including Blu-Ray ISO even if it is without a menu. :)

So as Subliminal and others have said the Hisense for all it's annoyances and foible's is pretty much the best bang for buck player.

Apart from PotatoHead that owned a Hisense and has now turned the other way and loves his WDTV Live

:D :p :)
  7. 24 P

24 P Member

Ratings:
    +276
    BR ISOs?? ***??

Man oh man, I will keep this player in mind, but I am using the humble ole PS3 to stream and play from its own HDD...

For 250 quid, I doubt its a Hisense killer...

:thumbsup:
  8. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Member

Ratings:
    +7
    There seems to be conflicting results on BR ISO playback as some have said it works fine without a menu but others have said it doesn't work but i think that might have been for network streaming as the ones that said BR worked was from the USB socket.

the official line is that it does play BR ISO without a menu

iboum.com : Future Entertainment Technology : Hisense MP800H

DVD ISO - Yes. With menu
    Blu-Ray ISO - Yes. No menu

And from the official site it says

http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/compa...ductid=631257&query=hd&entryPoint=2&locale=en

it can play internet Blue Ray movies on your TV, while no need the purchasing of Blue Ray disk any more.

maybe people on here with Blu-Ray ISO can confirm if playback is just USB and not network ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  9. herbsz

herbsz Member

Ratings:
    +17
    is it me or is the delivery price on amazon wrong? it says £3.91 but comes up as £5.88
  10. jahac

jahac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all... Got the player for about 2 weeks now and just discovered this wonderful world of informations. I have just upgraded the firmware to the latest version.
    However, either I am dumb, or it is just not possible.
    I still cannot use the DVD menus in the vts (vob) files. Is there a trick on the remote or some secret code or it only works with the ISO or img files (haven't tried those yet).?

Help is much appreciated :lease:
  11. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I think it only works with the ISO file - I am using only ISOs and it works fine a whole bunch I have tried so far.
    Also, I am not sure if the VOB files contain menu info - probably need the .IFO files etc.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  12. NugentS2

NugentS2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Hisense Media Player for a few weeks now. So far so good too.

Got the MP800H_upgrade_code_V042_1124 firmware which removes my major issue with not saving passwords. Just have one issue left - and I am not sure it the hisense.

Some DVD's play very quiet (as ISO's) - but play normal on a standard DVD player. There was one recently where I had to turn the amp all the way up to be able to hear anything...

Does anyone know if working through the optical cable would make any difference (or have any other ideas)

Sean
  13. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Did you use the volume control on the Hisense remote to increase the volume?
    It seems to default to something way below full volume.
    However, I am pretty sure once set to a higher volume it seems to remember this (but does get reset when the firmware is upgraded).
  14. NugentS2

NugentS2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Damn - I never noticed that vol control - I'll give it a try

Thanks

Sean
  15. mikeparris

mikeparris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to play aac files continuously?

If I select a file from a folder where the files have an MP3 extension they will play continuously. (one after another) However, if the files are of aac type (m4a) the player only plays one track at a time.

This is pretty inconvienient, but I have not found a way to alter this.

Any ideas?
  16. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Right on brother, I dearly miss my Hisense as picture quality is where it's at with me.

I honestly do not like the grainy picture on the WDTV Live, it's an insult to my movie files.

Hopefully I'll be back in action when my new hisense arrives :clap:
  17. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Gentlemen,

What is the consensus with regards to this update ?

If memory serves me correctly

MP800H_upgrade_code_V040 = best network performance

MP800H_upgrade_code_V042_1110.rar = best picture quality, poor network performance.

Cheers
  18. skinfreak

skinfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about ready to order one of these but the thing that is stopping me is that I do not know if it will share files to other network devices? If I plug a large USB hard drive in it, will I be able to add files to it from my main pc and share the media to other devices? I would like one location for my media and ideally this would be attatched to this lovely box of tricks!
  19. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    I couldnt get the hisense to appear as a drive on my main pc..i asked in the forum but the only answers i had, were a too technical for me.. as ease of use is important... All I wanted was to send and delete files on the attached hard drive.. also I found the usb ports on the side made it awkward to hide the cable to the drive.. however, the wdtv does.. and it is explained clearly in the wdtv live pdf user manual.. i quote----.

"Transferring Files
    If the media player has an active network connection, any USB drive connected to it can serve as a network drive. This allows you to transfer files between your media player and your computer.

This feature is applicable to a PC running the Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, or Windows 7 operating systems, as well to a Macintosh® computer running Mac® OS X® Leopard® or Snow Leopard®."
  20. harry66

harry66 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    It sounds like you want the Hisense to act like a NAS drive..Unless someone writes some clever custom/homebrew firmware I cant see this happening. The hisense is a media player with a 100mb port - not the ideal hardware for a NAS device and also asking a lot from a £60 device.

I have a QNAP NAS enclosure which has a 1TB Samsung ECO (virtually silent) drive. This is where I store all my movies, MP3, photos etc.
    I can then view then access them from all the PCs and laptops around the house. I can also get the hisense to play all my media files from the QNAP.
    I would recommend this kind of setup to you.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. cjed

cjed Active Member

Ratings:
    +408
    Yup, that sounds correct. The major addition in the latest V042 (to those who use LAN shares to get their media from) is the network shortcuts that remember logon credentials. As I run mine exclusivily from network shares, I suspect the poorer performance I'm seeing in FF/REW and displaying the previews (on 720p MKVs) is down to the poor networking performance.
  22. cjed

cjed Active Member

Ratings:
    +408
    Hmmm, that brings up another issue that I've noticed with my Hisense. If I've selected HDMI RAW as the sound output option, how is the Hisense changing the volume ? I'd assumed that HDMI RAW meant it just dumped the Audio data down the HDMI, but if it's able to adjust the volume it must be processing it first.

Anyone know what's actually going on in this situation ?
  23. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Wonder if they will ever add English to the MP801H ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  24. ubuntu

ubuntu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please pardon my question if its beeen asked before.
    Does the Hisense player support internet radio when connected to network?
    Thanks
  25. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Sorry but afraid it doesn't unless you work your magic by using a uPnP server such as tversity to stream the radio to the hisense.
  26. ubuntu

ubuntu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
  27. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    :rotfl:

Sorry, thought I'd pick it up, usually the boys in here are a lot more quicker with their replies. They must be slacking ! ;)
  28. sgtpepper23

sgtpepper23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    ive been researching this little thing for a few hours and have got a few questions, answered by Sumbliminal Aura would be awesome!

1) Does this send DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 (AC3) and AAC 5.1 if through SPDIF Optical? or does it downsample to 2.0 as ive only seen mentions of DTS-HD and DD-HD on its website.

2) Im going to buy a 250GB USB Hard Drive and connect it to this to play 1080P DTS MKV files (23.976 or even 30.000) which might have subtitles and different audio streams..

a) would it run the files flawlessly
    b) would the usb drive work? e.g. any hard drive bought off ebay
    c) can you switch audio streams inside constainers?
    d) can you choos to turn on any subtitles that are inside a container? (mkv) or must you have .srt files

3) if you have a video file with DTS-HD and are outputting through optical to an amp that does not decode or support it, does the hisense send it / amp receive as DTS 5.1 or 2.0 PCM?

4) The HiSense has volume control, how is the hisense controlling the volume if the audio is being decoded by an output source?

5) Im going to buy it next week and want to update to the LEGAL (not a hack) and most stable firmware, ive read some bad things about the latest firmware, is the one before it more stable and better?

last but not least

6) how do i install the firmware?

Pretty much it thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  29. 24 P

24 P Member

Ratings:
    +276
    I am Subs manager, you will have to ask me those questions and I will pass them on to Sub..
    Also the asking $ is 2 :beer:.
    Please call me during office hours on 555 DRUNK...

:thumbsup:
  30. mkjustuk

mkjustuk Member

Ratings:
    +16
    So does anyone know the difference between the firmwares;

MP800H_upgrade_code_V042_1110.rar

and

MP800H_upgrade_code_V042_1124.rar

I assume the MP800H_upgrade_code_V042_1124.rar one fixes the issues they had with the first release of 042?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.