High bed for kids - anyone got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrolyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread that was revived by someone else recently. I have resolved my issue, see post 24 below...

I am thinking of buying a Thuka Hit 23 High Sleeper bed for my 10 year old son. Has anyone got any experience of these types of beds or, ideally, the Thuka Hit 23?

This is what it looks like:

Hit-High-Robe-desk-and-3drw-castor-wht.jpg

This bed on paper seems perfect for him. His room is long and narrow, he is growing out of his current bed and having a bed on the floor leaves no space for a table and chair for him to do his homework on.

The bed comes flat-packed a la Ikea but I have to say the assembly instructions fill me with dread (although having said that I have constructed lots of Ikea stuff in the past so it should be doable).

thukainstructions.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have one, as did some of my friends (not that specific model), it was great for a short amount of time- but by about age 14 onwards and the novelty wearing off, and its not the right word but it becomes a bit embarrassing, having people over and then having a cabin bed doesn't work.

I would find an alternate option if I were you somehow, unless you'll be happy to replace the bed reasonably quickly. Plus they're a real pain to get rid of when they need disassembling/breaking up.

I had a top bunk experience for a period in my childhood. tbh unless there is a vertigo thing going on there is no difference to speak of. Well the climbing experience did hone my skills perfectly for later in life for running from po-po

That's a joke. I'm always on my best behaviour

I've had a bed similar to this for about 6 years (I'm almost 16 now). It doesn't have a desk beneath it and is slightly lower, but I find that the extra storage space is incredibly useful. One of my friends also has a similar setup, and I'm not sure what would be so embarrassing about it. I've had friends over and they haven't mentioned anything about it, nor have I felt any need to change it. I think it's an excellent bed that uses the limited space one may have in a bedroom very well, and suspect that the desk and chair set up will be extremely good for doing schoolwork on.

One of my friends also has a similar setup, and I'm not sure what would be so embarrassing about it.

I think I used the wrong word there, I suppose I saw them more as a kids bed at the time. I found when friends were over the place most would sit was just everyone crowd on the bed, especially if the room was smaller, having a cabin bed took away that option.

My daughter had a similar bed but now she is 11 and has friends over more and more she has "grown out" of the bed and has now given it to her 5 year old brother.

She has got a single bed now and works a lot better it seems as girls just want to sit and talk all night ......

I put the bed together and it wasn't that bad tbh

My lad had one a few years ago. Not quite as high , but came with an optional slide (never attached it). Its a doddle , but charge up the cordless drill first

Cabin bed here aswell. Got it for my son a couple of years ago (he's seven now) and he loves it. Good storage space and very solid. That Thuka one looks taller and a bit flimsier than the one we went for tbh. I expect just just the picture but I'd personally want to go and push/shove it about a bit to convince myself its strong enough. I did that with the one we decided to buy.

We got our 7 year old this bed. We got it without the storage. Great bed, but the basic mattress option isn't good, fortunately we had a better mattress from a previous bed to use instead.

Thanks toasty and Paul

That Thuka one looks taller and a bit flimsier than the one we went for tbh. I expect just just the picture but I'd personally want to go and push/shove it about a bit to convince myself its strong enough. I did that with the one we decided to buy.

I share your concern which why I'm taking my son on Saturday to a shop that has one on display. I will be getting him to jump up and down on the mattress and see what happens! Thuka do two ranges - the one I am interested in which is their cheaper range and the more expensive Maxi range which does look more sturdy. I'll be able to see both at the weekend.

I used to have one, as did some of my friends (not that specific model), it was great for a short amount of time- but by about age 14 onwards and the novelty wearing off, and its not the right word but it becomes a bit embarrassing, having people over and then having a cabin bed doesn't work.

I would find an alternate option if I were you somehow, unless you'll be happy to replace the bed reasonably quickly. Plus they're a real pain to get rid of when they need disassembling/breaking up.

What he said.

Plus when you start getting a bit older you climb up and hit your head on the ceiling every time (at least in normal sized modern house rooms).
Novel idea but only really practical if you are very tight on space.

Last edited:
My lad is 9 (a similar age to yours?) and he has a very similar style bed, ours came from Argos, and has a desk underneath and a wardrobe at one end. It's pretty sturdy, all wood construction. Typical flat pack assembly, took an absolute age to put together. He's had it for a couple of years now and it's still going strong.

Plus when you start getting a bit older you climb up and hit your head on the ceiling every time (at least in normal sized modern house rooms).
Novel idea but only really practical if you are very tight on space.

Thanks, this is something I am concerned about. But I remember my brother had a similar style of bed from when he was 12 -18 and he coped OK.

I am very tight on space. His room is very narrow - only 1.5m wide so with a small floor based bed there is only enough space for a tiny wardrobe and tiny chest of drawers. He has outgrown all 3.

My lad is 9 (a similar age to yours?) and he has a very similar style bed, ours came from Argos, and has a desk underneath and a wardrobe at one end. It's pretty sturdy, all wood construction. Typical flat pack assembly, took an absolute age to put together. He's had it for a couple of years now and it's still going strong.

Thanks Strobe. How many more years do you think you have before he outgrows it? My boy is 10 so a similar age to yours (and he was only 10 2 weeks ago)

Last edited:
Thanks, this is something I am concerned about. But I remember my brother had a similar style of bed from when he was 12 -18 and he coped OK.

I am very tight on space. His room is very narrow - only 1.4m wide so with a small floor based bed there is only enough space for a tiny wardrobe and tiny chest of drawers. He has outgrown all 3.

After 15 I could no longer realistically use mine and I'm not exactly a big person, even now at 25 I'm only 5ft 8/9 ish.

While it was great up until then I could no longer realistically justify it, and other have said it was a little embarrassing, even at 15 when friends came round.

After 15 I could no longer realistically use mine and I'm not exactly a big person, even now at 25 I'm only 5ft 8/9 ish.

While it was great up until then I could no longer realistically justify it, and other have said it was a little embarrassing, even at 15 when friends came round.

Thanks. I am about your size and his mum is only about 5ft 1 or so so my son is not going to be tall. So if I get 5 years use out of the bed then it will be worth it. He will no longer fit in his current bed within a year and buying a bigger floor based bed will make his room seem even smaller.

My son at the moment can't wait, he is desperate to have a bed like this. In fact he has been trying to persuade me for the last few months.

Have a look at the Stompa range. We have had 3 of them so far. They are high up, but as the child grows and they change their minds (or change bedroom or whatever) and want a low bed the legs can be detached so you use the same bed frame at the lower level - saves buying a second bed in 5-10 years time.

We've got one here that we are taking down this weekend, if you want to come and get it you can have it for free, it's in pretty good nick, just needs a bracket putting on one of the rails...

It's been fine for my daughter, but she's getting too big for it.

(it's just the bed, there's no desk or wardrobey thing)

I think they are great, but not that one.

You can get much better ones (larger bed up top) and have a futon bed which goes underneath which can open out to be a 2nd bed for sleepovers, or for normal use a large comfy chair for playing computer games on (large screen on opposite wall of the bedroom)

Have a look at the Stompa range. We have had 3 of them so far. They are high up, but as the child grows and they change their minds (or change bedroom or whatever) and want a low bed the legs can be detached so you use the same bed frame at the lower level - saves buying a second bed in 5-10 years time.

Thanks, I took a look at Stompa and they are much more expensive than the Thuka Hit range. In fact I could buy a Thuka Hit and a normal bed for less than the cost of the Stompa. The Stompa versions are all wider by about 20cm and when his room is only 150cm wide that makes a big difference.

We've got one here that we are taking down this weekend, if you want to come and get it you can have it for free, it's in pretty good nick, just needs a bracket putting on one of the rails...

It's been fine for my daughter, but she's getting too big for it.

(it's just the bed, there's no desk or wardrobey thing)

Thanks, that is a tempting offer. Is it a Thuka Hit you are taking down? And how old is your daughter?

I think they are great, but not that one.

You can get much better ones (larger bed up top) and have a futon bed which goes underneath which can open out to be a 2nd bed for sleepovers, or for normal use a large comfy chair for playing computer games on (large screen on opposite wall of the bedroom)

Thanks, but the ones with a built in futon are too wide to fit in my son's room and there isn't enough space to pull out the futon. Plus the "screen on opposite wall" would only be about 30 cm away from where he would be sitting!

My daughter is 9, I've no idea what make it is.

Welcome to the forums Ashley123 . If you wish to post advertising links , then please contact the advertising team . thank you

I thought that seemed like an odd post until I saw the edit!

Nice follow up, our lads bedroom is almost the same shape and likes his high bed too. He's 7 at the moment but underneath his is a stack of action figures and other toy stuff, will try and move him to some thing more like your set up when he goes to big school :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom