Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifidelio hard drive upgrade (easy steps)

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by brookheather, Feb 16, 2007.

1. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    I have just upgraded my Hifidelio from 160Gb to 250Gb by following these easy instructions:

http://www.lilithi.com/hifidelio/changeharddisk_v1.0.pdf

The original hard drive was a Seagate ST3160022A 160Gb with only 1Mb buffer - I replaced it with a Samsung SP2514N 250Gb drive which has a 8Mb buffer and substantially less noise (only 25db at idle). I used the Samsung HUTIL tool to set the acoustic management on the drive to the quiet setting. Even under load now you can't hear the drive clicking whereas with the old drive there was a more noticeable hum and clicking sound when the room was silent.

Next step tonight is to replace the 160Gb drive in my Topfield with another Samsung 250Gb drive...

- Simon.
  2. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I've been prevarocating over this for a while but I was going to use another Seagate drive, what led you down the samsung route? I was looking at the 320gb Barracuda but the nearest Samsung seem to do is a 400gb..

Thanks for the info, btw..
  3. brookheather

Ratings:
    +891
    It was purely the noise level - the 250Gb Samsung is the quietest drive I could find that had a larger capacity than the standard drive. The larger Samsung is also pretty quiet - I believe it is just a couple of db above the 250Gb drive - look at table 1 in this article:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/storage/samsung-hd300ld.html

BTW I noticed that the Olive Musica uses the 160Gb Samsung drives rather than the Seagate drives.

- Simon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Great article, thanks very much! looks like I'm going for the 400gb then..

Thanks a lot

Kendal
  5. brookheather

Ratings:
    +891
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. firedog55

firedog55 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can we get a followup report from someone who has upgraded to a 400 or 500 GB drive? Both Olive and Hermstedt recommend against in the Musica/hifidelio pro. They claim there are issues of heat build up.

Others claim large HD's can overload the power supply of the Musica/Hifidelio Pro?

What are your experiences? What HD's do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Danny
  7. firedog55

firedog55 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi-

After consulting several posters on both this forum and the German hifidelio forum (they were extremely helpful there, even when I posted in English), I took the plunge and upgraded to a 500 GB drive.

I used a Western Digital IDE WD5000AAKB ( 500GB 3.5 7200RPM 16MB Buffer).
    I checked the specs of my original HD (Samsung SP 160N4) and this one seemed to have similar electrical demands (especially during spinup) and heat production.

There was only one glitch during the switch: my Olive/hifidelio refused to read the "hdreset" disc I burned. I used the alternate method, hdreset over telnet: see file at: www.8ung.at/ascherrer/hdreset.tar.gz The German forum has instructions in the "Modifications" section.

So far, so good. It's only been a day, but I'm reimporting all my CD's in uncompressed formats, and so far about 60 CD's in a row with no performance problems.

Danny

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. brookheather

Ratings:
    +891
    I also recommend installing the Pro-S upgrade if you can find one as it makes the 7200rpm drives almost silent.

- Simon.
  9. greywolf241

greywolf241 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Stansze

Stansze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone help? I need the recovery CD to restore my hifidelio harddisk.

Thanks!