1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Guys; Newbie Here, Welcome Opinions/Advice on my HTPC Build

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by BeanheadUK, Feb 27, 2012.

1. BeanheadUK

BeanheadUK Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

Have been researching through the forums for a while now and I have managed to spec up what I'm looking to buy soon for my HTPC.

This would be purely to view hi def video, not looking for anything to play games on.

Would welcome any advice/opinions on the spec:

Case - Silverstone GD05B Grandia (Black)
    PSU - Be Quiet BN181 Pure Power L8 530W Modular Power Supply (PSU)
    Mobo - Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
    CPU - On Board Integrated AMD Hudson M1
    RAM - Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel
    HDD - OCZ Technology 64GB Octane SSD - Solid State Drive
    OS - Windows 7 (64 Bit)
    Audio - On Board?
    Video - On Board?

Uses

I'm hoping to use this purely as an entertainment PC, e.g. 1080p movies and audio. Is the above a good starter for 10 or is there anything I need to change?

I have an external 1.5TB HDD as well with all my movies, music, TV etc, but hoping to upgrade to some on board HDDs, also have an optical drive available.

Also, how good would the mobo be for future addition of Graphics card or audio cards?

Any advice/opinion would be much appreciated.
  2. BeanheadUK

BeanheadUK Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, just realised for a bit more I could go for the Asus E45M1-I DELUXE, which has slightly better CPU/RAM speeds but all importantly supports HDMI 1.4a
  3. m0t0k0

m0t0k0 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    The build looks good. 8GB of RAM is overkill but RAM is cheap so why not!

Other than supporting 3D I don't think 1.4a is going to give you any benefit so if you want 3D a must and it does give the ability to adopt 3D at a later date.

Audio and video will be handled no problem a squirted out over HDMI so your all set there and you also have a PCIe slot so you could update to a discreet GPU later if you needed.

Have you thought about what front end you will use XBMC, MediaPortal, Windows media centre?
    What about a remote or wireless keyboard?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BeanheadUK

BeanheadUK Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks m0t0k0.

I currently have a setup using my Laptop which runs WMC and in turn Media Browser.

Also have a Keysonic keyboard, but no remote as yet.

As you can imagine, its quite limited based on the fact its a laptop from 2008 (although one of the first few to have HDMI which is a bonus).
  5. nunovi

nunovi Member

Ratings:
    +62
    The power supply is a bit overkill for what you need. If you're planning to add drives on the future, then pick the microatx version of the ASUS E45M as it will be much cheaper, still be fanless and provide you better expansion possibilities. If you use instead external hard drive or NAS, both the case and power supply are overkill. A Wesena ITX6 or ITX7 coupled with a 90W picopsu will be much neater, silent and compact.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BeanheadUK

BeanheadUK Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nunovi,

I'm not too clued up on the right PSU rating to use, just assumed the bigger the better!

I did have a look at the Wesena cases, just not a fan, much prefer the Silverstone cases.
  7. m0t0k0

m0t0k0 Member

Ratings:
    +99
  8. darthmauler

darthmauler Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The bigger the more power is drawn. You won't need more than about 100w for that setup. I would go with a picopsu which will be cheaper to run and quieter.
  9. m0t0k0

m0t0k0 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    I'm not sure it would be cheaper unless it was more efficient at the wattage drawn (possible as PSUs are most efficient a 50% load)

You will also have an external power brick to hide with a picopsu.

A high efficiently low wattage ATX PSU would be an ideal match with the case. A seasonic X series would be good some of them are totally fan less and the other will not use the fan is they are below 25% load