1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with iTunes, SONOS and MyBookLive

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by barryt, Dec 9, 2012.

1. barryt

barryt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some help with some niggling problems if possible. I have 3 Play3s, one connect and a connect amp which all work absolutely fine with my Spotify account.

I've got a Workbook 2 terabyte drive that I transferred all my CDs and my Itunes account across to and changed the location in iTunes and on SONOS

Just for completeness I've got a Onkyo NR616 (which is connected to the Connect) and Kef Q series speakers (centre and front) and 2 subs - 1 at either end of the room which sound great!

The problems I'm having

a) When I'm playing my music library (off the workbook) I'm regularly getting an error saying there is "insufficient bandwidth to maintain the playback buffer" and it moves to the next track - quite often I get errors when it tries to queue the track

b) for some reason I often have to delete the drive in SONOS and link it again as every so often SONOS just says it can't find the music library

c) ITunes keeps defaulting back to my laptop location for where it thinks my music is stored - it doesn't seem to be able to keep the link. Not sure if its playing up - dropping the link and reconnecting to a default link

d) Less importantly I can't see playlists for itunes in SONOS - I can see them in Spotify but even going through Spotify in SONOS I can't see ITunes playlists

Not sure if I have one fundamental problem or a series of glitches - I don't understand the bandwidth issue given this is internal and nothing to do with my Broadband (I'm assuming)

Thanks for reading anyway

Barry
  2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Very similar setup to me.

A) This could be due to the compression rate used when you ripped your CD's

B) Could be linked to A, but do a settings check

C) Is the correct drive selected in iTunes preferences ?

D) I think Sonos needs to see your laptop for this, and how is that connecting to your router ?
  3. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +296
    How is your NAS connected to your network and to Sonos? How have you ripped your music? Can you use a utility like Inssider to check wifi networks in your locality?

It sounds most likely to be a problem with wireless interference (assuming your players are running wirelessly) that is causing problems with the higher bandwidth requirements of your music library as opposed to the more heavily compressed streaming services.

If you cannot sort this out yourself then make a Sonos diagnostic within 15 minutes of the problems and contact Sonos support - the diagnostic contains a lot of information that will help identify if interference is the cause and if changing wireless channels might help.
  4. barryt

barryt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't compress - I actually copied all of my CDs into ITunes and then copied the directory onto my MyBook and then changed the path. My laptop keeps defaulting back to that original path - I have no idea what causes it to do it as it seems quite happy to accept the new path when it goes in.

My MyBook is wired direct into a extension router (Netgear) which is connected wirelessly to my broadband router (BT Home hub which my SONOS bridge is connect to) in another part of the house. So presumably when its playing through SONOS its accessing through the wireless connection between router and extension. Do I just need to reconfigure this so that I cut down the wireless traffic?

My laptop is connected wirelessly to the main router

Thanks for the diagnostic tip - I'll definately try that one as well as I can pretty much replicate it at will

Thanks for the thoughts so far

Barry
  5. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    connect the NAS direct to the main router !! Then see how it works

Every time iTunes updates , it defaults to the PC for media folder

However you should see the NAS in Shared Libraries. You just ADD the NAS MUSIC folder to iTunes once.

You aren't going to add every song to iTunes mostly , just the one you play.

Download FLAC. When you rip a cd , it will allow you to ADD that cd to PC & NAS at same time !! So it is 2 rips at once !
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +296
    And the other problem will be the wireless link from your NAS to Sonos, which is likely to be the cause of your dropouts with your music library. Using wifi for access to the main music library is no officially supported by Sonos. So if you can relocate your NAS to the wired network that inlcudes a wired connection for Sonos you should find it then improves reliability - this means that your music is now covered over Sonosnet which is optimised for wireless streaming.
  7. barryt

barryt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok -I've now wired the Workbook directly into the SONOS bridge and so far so good.

On the ITunes side I think I may have screwed things up by not copying some key files which I'm trying to rectify. Spotify has an option to import ITunes Playlists and that works fine and all the tracks go across. On SONOS through the Spotify option I can see the ITunes playlist that I've imported but it says "No selection available"

Getting there thanks very much for your help!!

Barry
  8. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
  9. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    I would put the NAS direct to your router. So the rest of your network doesn't go through the Sonos to get the music files. However I have no experience and the Sonos will allow this to happen ??
  10. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +296
    What Spotify account do you have? Sonos will only work with the premium account. I'm not an iTunes user so I don't quite understand wanting to use iTunes to create Spotify playlists or vice versa.
  11. barryt

barryt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Spotify Premium account and I have now got my WD MyBookLive connect direct to my main router.

I have a playlist on iTunes - its got about 300 tracks on it and I can see it on Sonos and I can also see it on Spotify. I'm trying to add to the tracks on the Playlist through my Spotify account which I've done but the only tracks I can see are the ones I'm adding through Spotify. So basically I've got the original list on Sonos through iTunes and I've got the updated list through Spotify but I can only see the new tracks I've added and not the original - ot sure how much sense that makes ........
  12. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    don't know how Spotify works with Sonos or iTunes.

It looks like to me that you are downloading from Spotify to play on the Sonos , when you just want Sonos to play from the NAS .

Spotify to me is for when your out the house and you want to play music not on your iphone ??

Sonos to me is to play music in the house from NAS

Can anyone explain if you can the Sonos can upload from the iTunes on a PC a playlist , you then switch off the PC , and then the Sonos will play that song direct from the NAS .............. or is the Sonos looking for the PC that cannot be accessed as its switched off ??
  13. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
  14. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    With Windows and trying to control or point to the NAS , I find it easier not to see the NAS under My Computer and pointing towards a drive letter called Z or whatever

Go to NETWORK and find the NAS that way , then point the Sonos or any device to the SHARED MUSIC folder