Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with AVR 355: Picture size settings and sound cutting in late

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by kuriosolo, Feb 28, 2009.

1. kuriosolo

kuriosolo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two problems with my HK AVR 355, regarding picture size settings, and sound cutting in late with different tracks.

I own 2 ELAC fs 247 speakers at the front. They have a great sound. They were also producing pretty good bass, but i have a subwoofer, so i wanted to use it for boom boom. The subwoofer is not such a high quality one, but nevertheless fine (Pioneer S-W110S-S).

I am enjoying the sound very much. But there are two remaining problems that i have with this receiver that affect my enjoyment. They are the fact that it doesnt correctly adjust the picture dimensions coming from my cable receiver, nor from my macbook connected through DVI.

The other problem is that the sound cuts in 0.5 seconds after the beginning of a track or sound signal when coming through HDMI. I notice this most when i am using my playstation 3, which i am also using as a media server. It has something to do with PCM channel switching, I think.

Any ideas how to solve these problems? Best of all would be a way to have an option to adjust manually the picture sizes for certain source settings and not to have to rely upon "automatic" recognition settings
  2. kuriosolo

kuriosolo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bumpety bump
  3. auron

auron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am having the second problem you describe, with the sound cutting in late on any source that is quiet for more than a few seconds. Happens on every console I have, particularly on menu screens (PS3, Xbox 360 etc.)

Have emailed HK but yet to receive a response.
  4. chic

chic Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    you do have the latest software on board?

i ask this as this was a problem early on wih the 255/355 and firmware updates have improved it, i have a 360 and ps3 and it locks onto sound staight away and i dont have any roblems in loosing sounds
  5. auron

auron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running AFW v0.96.1.1 (March '09) which I believe is the latest firmware. Interesting that you don't have the problem - so if you leave it e.g. on the silent PS3 menu screen for ten seconds, then scroll to another menu option, do you hear the menu click?

My problem is that I have to scroll through two or three menu options before the clicks start coming through. If so what audio settings are you using; Logic 7 Game?

Thanks,

Steve
  6. chic

chic Active Member

Ratings:
    +898

yes i do, its still not perfect and there is a slight delay in the clicks, but its far better than it was before, now this doesnt cause me any problems with games or movies i dont loss any audio when its quiet. I have it connected by hdmi and use dolby prologic 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. auron

auron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll try it with PL2. Will post back here if HK get back to me.