Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please: Power lead for an Aopen 5232 DVD+CD Recorder

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by quantumparticle, Mar 22, 2012.

1. quantumparticle

quantumparticle Member

Ratings:
    +160
    I have an
    Aopen 5232 Combo DVD+CD-RW external usb unit, but I do not have a power cable for it.

On its backplate, it has a small din type socket which is about 10mm in diameter, and it has 3 socket holes on the left and 2 socket holes on the right (ie 5 holes), a rectangular hole in the middle, and an alignment hole at the bottom.

I think that the unit uses 5V and 12V, I am not sure whether it oriinally came with a mains transformer and the lead, or whether it is to be powered from the back of a PC.

Can anyone shed any light on the lead or leads needed to power this device.

Thank you
  2. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Have you looked in to opening up the device ?
    Having seen a picture of it looks like a standard drive in a case.
  3. quantumparticle

quantumparticle Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Thank you.
    I have just managed to get the case open.
    It is a standard drive.
    However, i want to use it with an Eee PC which does not have an internal cd/dvd drive.
    Obviously I can power the dvd writer using a standard 4 pin power connection from another PC, but the board associated with the USB connection also needs power.

(1) Can I buy a special connector which allows all 3 (white) 4 pin power connectors to join together?
    (2) Ideally, can I just use the 10mm diameter din type socket (which has 5 pins, please see above) to connect to a 4 pin (white) power connection inside a PC? ie can I buy a lead to do this, or do I have to try and make one up.

Thank you for your help
  4. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +256