1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Desperately Ulead Video Studio 11

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by leeroybee, Jan 18, 2008.

1. leeroybee

leeroybee Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, This post is my last attempt to fix a problem Ive spent a year working on and no less than 200 hours all up.

Just over a year ago I bought a Sony HDD Camcorder (SR40) for my holiday at christmas time.

After gathering about 12 gig of movies I thought I would come back and create a nice DVD with menus, music and chapters. Sounds easy I thought !!!.

To date Ive gone through about 10 programs with each having one major fault which stopped me from completing the project. For example Intervideo Win DVD creator worked great with perfect quality but NO SOUND. After searching a million forums and there support to no avail.

Ive just recently thought of having another go and this time Im using Ulead Video Studio 11 plus. So after spending 2 days straight learning the program ( as usual ) and creating a nice pretty dvd all seems to go fine until the final output.... Its not great quality. If I play the DVD on my TV its blurry but if I plug in the camcorder its clear. Also If I put in the soundless DVD that I created with Intervideo, its also clear. ( but obviously no sound )

So far Im upto about 20 wasted disks all having a poor quality output.
    Each time I try to adjust the setting to see whats wrong.

The setting im using is what I can see to be the highest quality one which is PAL 25fps 720 x 576 24 bits 9100kbps 4:3

Can anyone help im really really frustrated Ive never incurred something so difficult.

PS. Im not trying to fit 12 gig onto one disk I split the project so it would fit onto one disk.
  2. felix2

felix2 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I think what you're doing should work fine and not be blurry on the disc.

First of all, just to be sure, your camcorder is a PAL (UK) one isn't it?

Otherwise, if you're actually choosing the DVD / MPEG settings that are used for the output, that means Ulead is re-compressing the footage. Which should work OK, but I've personally never been able to get Ulead Video Studio to compress MPEG without it looking awful (and I know of plenty of other people who have said the same thing, although I know of plenty of others who get it to work fine... - and I use Ulead's other program DVD Movie Factory for all my MPEG compression and that does a great job for me...). But you should be able to record it (as it's MPEG footage from a HDD camcorder) to DVD without re-compressing it, which will give better quality anyway, and be a lot faster. And Ulead's greatest strength (in my opinion, a very good strength, but possibly one of the program's few advantages) is that it will output MPEG files without re-compressing and re-rendering anything it doesn't need to.

Check you've got Smart Render set to 'on' in whichever menu it is. And when you output / "share" the final video to DVD, for the settings choose "Same as first clip". Assuming all your clips from the camera are the same settings as each other, then it will smart render the video quickly without losing any quality. Or make sure the Project settings are the same as your clips, and then output to the DVD using "Same as project settings". Hope that makes sense. And hope you're able to get it to work.
  3. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    I would start by dropping the maximum bitrate to 8000 One of the problems is that you are going from hardware encoded mpeg ( in camera) editing it and outputting it to another bitrate...a bit tricky to get it right TBH
    Which Programs have you used ?
    I have 4 or 5 all well behaved
    Pinnacle Studio 11
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinun and the Full Vegas 7
    Adobe Premiere Elements
    Avid Liquid 7
    And for DVD authoring, although all of the above have built in capabilities ( the Vegas have DVD Architect and Architect Studio), I also have Ulead Movie factory and Movie Workshop2
    They all work .
    And with Mpeg too....
    Some people hav complained about unimpresiive quality from ULEAD VS and other locve it to bits Im not sure why but as Felix suggests it may be due tyo multiple rerendering of mpeg2 in which case "smart rendering " may be the solution
    It does highlight the pitfalls of mpeg2 (SD) compared to DV though if extensive editing is required
  4. newzealand

newzealand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I have had similar problems lasting about the same time.
    So much so, that I began to think I was losing it!
    Can you please tell what type of computer you are using?
    I've got hundreds of videos laying idle also and I have a hard disk drive Sony Video.
    Great info from the other replies - I joined up today to reply to you and to learn - these guys are good!
    Cheers,
    Darren
  5. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Im using 2 Pentium based PCs . A P4 3Gb, Dual core and an AMD 64 2X ( pretty old by todays ("standards")
    Im not sure the actual PCs matter as long as they are a decent quality but getting the right software that work for you makes a difference
    UleadMovieFactory does ( in my experience) what is says. It does not reeencode DVD ready Mpegs by default otherwise this option can be selected
    With Video Studio folk seem to have mixed results but it seems popular ..I last used ver 10
  6. felix2

felix2 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Darren,

I'm on an AMD 2100XP (fairly old by today's standards!) with 1GB RAM and quite a bit of HDD space. I've used Ulead VideoStudio but much prefer Serif MoviePlus - but that doesn't (yet) offer "smart render", so I still very occasionally use Ulead for that. (And as I said, I use Ulead's DVD Movie Factory program to convert DV-AVIs from Serif into MPEGs for DVDs.) I think Sony Vegas even in its Movie Studio (& Platinum) version/s does do smart rendering now, so I could recommend that instead.

"Smart render" (also called other things, probably!) means the program can output edited video files (usually MPEG2, as found on DVDs and hard disk camcorders, but also DV-AVI and sometimes other types too), without having to re-render and re-compress anything it doesn't need to. So if you have a 10-minute video clip with one title at the start and one fade in the middle, it will obviously have to re-render the title and fade, and a few frames either side, but the rest of the clip it will just do a quick carbon copy without any re-processing. Which is a good thing for "lossy" formats like MPEG (like JPEG is "lossy" for still photos). You can re-render MPEG, but ideally want to do it as little as possible / as few times as possible to the same piece of footage, to preserve the best quality.

What problems are you having?