1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me to Choose LAN Cable for New Build Installation

Discussion in 'CAT5 Cabling' started by bym007, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Hi all,

I am having a new house build (in Pakistan :)) and need some suggestions regarding cabling for Data Network.

At the moment, I am looking at wiring of 1 floor, which will consist of 3 bedrooms, 3 lounges (or receptions), and a dining area apart from other necessities.

I will need network access in all areas, so although there will be WiFi, I am still planning for wired network cables run in the walls before plastered.

So for a start I am counting 1 network point in each bedroom (x3), 1 for the mini lounge and 2 for the main lounge (where telly equipment will be kept).

There has been separate wiring already laid for telephone lines already, so don't need to worry about that for now.

The equipment that will more likely go in the main lounge will include Xbox, and a Popcorn Hour (or someother networked media player).

I have a fiber-to-the-home cable internet currently coming to the house, which will be shared by the house over the network. The cable modem and a reasonable switch (have a Cisco Catalyst 2924 lying spare somewhere) will go in a central location.

I am not thinking about HD transmission (as there is not a lot of HD content available via Settop boxes at the moment in Pakistan).

So my questions at the moment are;

1. I am planning to go for Solid Core Cat6 cable. Is this the right choice ?

2. Am I planning enough ports for these rooms (and based on my current setup, any suggestions what might be going in there) ?

3. Another question, would it be cheaper to use Home Plug LAN ?

4. Any suggestions about where could CAT6 be had for a reasonable price?

5. Anything else, I might have missed ?

Caio!:hiya:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. mickevh

mickevh Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Standing orders to my electricians when pulling in new UTP runs is to "always pull two." It never hurts to have a spare, and it's surprising how often you can find a use for it later. Cable is relatively cheap and it's much less hassle to run in two to each location when the place is a mess, than have to do it later when the decorating is all done.

Solid for permanently installed cable runs. Stranded (AKA patch) is for equipment hook up and patch cables.

If you can, terminate and test it before you plaster over. It's easier to replace a bad line before the plaster goes up, though mostly a faulty run tends to be down to poor termination rather than the cable "breaking" during installation.

Leave a bit of "slack" coiled up in the back boxes if you can. It makes it easier to remove the sockets at a later date should you need to for some reason.

I'd be surprised if "proper" UTP cabling isn't (much) cheaper than half a dozen Homeplugs. And it'll avail you of higher speeds - UTP (cat5e & above) can easily carry Gigabit ethernet, Homeplugs and wifi aren't anywhere near that fast yet.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. Kristian

Kristian Active Member

Ratings:
    +375
    What he said ^^^

Two points where you've said one and four points for the main lounge.

Your switch will be fine for 10/100 but isn't Gigabit but that can be upgraded in time. It'll also be noisy and hot compared to newer switches but it will allow you do some fancy things if you want to e.g. VLANs (OTT in the home though!)

Kris.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo Active Member

Ratings:
    +563
    TLC do cat5e per metre and a box of 305m
    and cat6 , box of 305m

patch leads etc etc..
  5. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings: