1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose an IPS monitor...!

Discussion in 'Monitors, Webcams & External Video Devices' started by FocusOnScott, Jan 22, 2012.

1. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi,

I'm going out to buy an IPS monitor in the next couple of days...I've been looking at two in particular that are in my price range...

1) HP ZR2240w 21.5" --- £222.90

2) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" --- £185.99

Anybody got any advice on the above two models or perhaps any other options in that price bracket.

I'd like to be in a position to buy one tomorrow so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,152
  3. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi,

Thanks paul...I read somewhere that the blacks aren't great, what is your experience of that? I want something that would compare to the like of an Imac screen...would you say the dell achieves that?

Thanks
  4. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Considering it has a matte screen (glossy will make blacks look blacker) the blacks are pretty good, maybe not perfect but still very good. There is a bit of IPS glow but is only noticeable on a completely black screen.
  5. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Do you think it will seem much larger coming from a 20" display?
  6. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
    Is there much difference these days between a modern, high end TN panel and a mid-range IPS? I really want a new monitor for Photoshop work, so IPS is what has been suggested to me.

I was considering the Dell U2312HM, but there's a review on Amazon that's put me right off it (see M. S. Ali's review of the U2412M). I was also considering the ViewSonic VP2365-LED 23" and Asus 23" PA238Q IPS LED but they're both creeping over my £200 budget.

Cheers,

Lee
  7. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi,

I went ahead and bought it in the end directly from dells website for £179.10 including free delivery and quidco currently have 10% cashback also, which makes this a great price...I think the picture quality is excellent...I can upload a picture of it on if you like?
  8. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
    That's a good saving after Quidco, I always forget to use it when buying stuff!

Yeah, a photo would be great! :smashin:
  9. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi,

I am currently dual booting mac os lion (hackintosh) and win 7, the first picture is mac os and the second picture is win 7 with the screen flipped round to portrait mode.

ImageShack Album - 2 images

Thanks
  10. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
    Looks awesome on both, even from the photos :smashin:

I think I'll consider this one again but would still be interested to know if a modern TN can compare to an IPS, if anyone knows?

Ta ;)
  11. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Well usually Ips panels have much better viewing angles and tend to be better at realistic colour reproduction and newer ips panels are matching the response times of TN panels nowadays.

But there are different variations of ips panels eg: s-ips, h-ips...but this particular dell monitor is actually an e-ips panel.

You can google the differences and reviews all day long as I did but sometimes you just have to brave it any buy one...but dell has an excellent returns policy and warranty, 3 years next day business returns and they will replace even if there is only one dead/bright pixel.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
    Thanks, that's helpful. Good to know about the Dell warranty and returns.

You're right too, you do often just have to brave it :)
  13. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I've had my eyes on a couple of LG IPS225V as they're around the £100 mark and LG supply panels to many other makes so maybe their own offering will be unbeatable value? I can't really see how those costing twice as much can be twice as better, unless you need the better stand.

Only issues I've seen reported are the stand is crap (wobbly and only tilt adjustable) and there are reports of some back-light bleed when viewing dark scenes. Neither of these bother me as I'll be using a professional stand to mount them (one above the other, so I can use my current Dell 24" in portrait mode alongside for reading ebooks and magazines) and I don't watch movies on my PC.

They're 21.5" 1920x1080, DVI and HDMI, VESA mountable, LED back-lighting for low energy usage, matt screen.

Seem a bargain at that price. They have been as low as £99 inc vat recently but currently around £110. Been waiting to see if they dropped down again soon, while I decide on the best monitor mount for them. Currently thinking the Allcam MDM0D as they're relatively cheap and easily alterable if I ever want to go quad screen!
  14. F1ash

F1ash Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That LG IPS225V looks like an absolute bargain. Deal breaker for me is being able to twist the monitor into portrait mode as well though.
  15. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65
    You can get a single monitor arm with pivot ability for around 30 quid.

As the LG is small and light due it shouldn't be too heavy for such cheap arms.

I wish there were more reviews about it around in case there's a gotcha I've missed. It does seem almost too cheap to be true. Even comes with readily calibrated colours according to the reviews I have found.

Also puzzling why the previous model is the IPS226. Why can't manufacturers use ascending sequential numbering so we know which model is the newest? :rolleyes:
  16. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    The dell ultrasharps arm is amazing in my opinion...it slides up and down, tilts back and forward, twists left and right (which is great for gaining access to the back inputs) and as previously mentioned it can rotate to landscape or portrait...and another plus is it also has 4 usb ports built directly into the monitor (2 on the side 2 on the back)
  17. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Just noticed the LG IPS225V is now £99.99 including vat and free (3-5 day) delivery at Amazon.

Ordered two. :D

Fortunately I'll be 'binning' the poor stands.
  18. F1ash

F1ash Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That is amazing value. Let us know how they are.
  19. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
  20. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
  21. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Well the dell has gone back up to normal price now (about £250 i think) so you may have missed the boat on that deal!
  22. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,103
    The U2312HM? It's still showing as ~£180 on most sites other than Dell's own :)
  23. FocusOnScott

FocusOnScott Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Sorry I was just looking at dells website, I guess you might not get the quidco cashback in that case then.
  24. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Been using my two LG IPS225 for a while now and after a bit of adjustment to the brightness which was way too high the image quality is comparable to my Dell 24", though the Dell has wide colour gamut so colours always look more saturated on it which took a bit of getting used to. As did the fewer vertical pixels on the LG.

For the price they're a bargain. Nice bushed matt bezel and the screen itself has some anti-glare coating, which is ideal for me. I did notice the DVI input was giving a noticeably poorer image than the HDMI, which is strange, so have connected one via HDMI->HDMI and the other via DVI->HDMI.

For anyone not using their PC for action games (there will probably be too much motion blur on these due to the IPS) these are well worth considering while the price gab remains substantial.

The backlight bleeding which I noticed initially, seems to be gone now I've reduced the brightness and set them to Super Energy Saver full mode, which further dims the screen and saves a bit on the juice.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  25. BobbyUK

BobbyUK Member

Ratings:
    +1