Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! HD box won't come out of standby!

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by PlasmaVirgin, Jan 19, 2009.

1. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin Active Member

Ratings:
    +125
    I was in the middle of watching a recorded programme tonight and my Sky HD box just switched itself off into standby mode and wouldn't power back on.

I've removed the power from the wall, reconnected, waited 5 minutes but it still won't power back on. Tried waiting 10 minutes - still won't boot up.

Next I tried pressing <back up> whilst reconnecting the power to force a software download (read this solution on the forum somewhere). I got all the traffic lights on the front but after a while it went back into standby. It's now ssadly still stuck there with a red standby light on, but will not boot back up.

Any ideas? Am I going to need an engineer? :(
  2. Regan

Regan Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Is it a Thomson? Sounds familiar (from other posts on this forum), and terminal, to me I'm afraid!

New box I reckon. :eek:
  3. Cyril

Cyril Member

Ratings:
    +42
    If it's out of warranty, you could open it up and check if one of the connectors to the hard drive is not loose or faulty.
  4. DJMS

DJMS Member

Ratings:
    +73
    What time? I had the same thing on a PACE box about 8:55.......:eek:
  5. armthorpe

armthorpe Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My Thomsons been doing the same for about a month now. I switch the mains off and on then leave it for about an hour to cool down as it always feels very hot when this happens. If I try and turn it back on 5 minutes after doing the power it trips out again. Once it's up and running it's O.K. for a few days, then for some reason it will overheat and start tripping out again. I could understand it if it were due to poor air circulation, bad positioning or it did it every time.
    Thats life **** happens. I won't let the ******* get me down.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  6. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,630
    please don't circumvent the swear filter . let it do its job or use :censored:
    Thank you
  7. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I have had this happen a few times.. The way I got round it was to unplug it. Remove the two coax inputs turn it back on for 10 mins then back off via the wall. Reinsert the two cables and back on again. If that does not work I believe you have to hold down a few buttons on the top of the box. Sky will confirm the system reset. Dont worry you wont lose any programmes. Sometimes the Hard drive crashes and needs resetting.. Try this..

Also Dont be fobbed off with sky saying your box is out of warrenty and all that. (They may if things look bad) .. To be honest you have a right to expect at least 4 or 5 years use of your sky HD box and also YOU are their customer and in the long run would rather not lose you to someone else.. They should replace your box FOC.... (free of charge)...
  8. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid it's not looking good at the moment. I've tried holding down the standby button whilst unplugging / reconnecting but no joy. Also tried the backup button to do a software download but no joy. Tried unplugging all cables/aerials, reconnecting, etc but still stuck in standby mode.

Called Sky who told me that as it's 2 years old (crappy Thomson box) I will have to pay £65 for a callout - they wouldn't budge on this. Was resigned at least to getting a new Pace/Samsung box for the £65, but the engineer has just called me to say that he'll be around in the morning and he only has reconditioned Thomson boxes and said he feels for me but there's no way he can supply a new box. :mad:

Really not impressed. How much would a new install with a new box cost? I've thought about complaining and threatening to cancel but I had a mate who did this and they said fair enough and cancelled his subscription. :(
  9. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    Weird - it was about the same time. Are they sending codes down the phone line which sabotage our boxes? :mad:
  10. pbieles

pbieles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My SkyHD box died sometime on Saturday night. It's stuck in standby and all the usual tricks aren't waking it up. I've had SkyHD since day 1, so have experienced most problems with the Thomson box.

If I get an engineer out for £65 and they confirm that the box is toast, will I then be expected to pay out for another box?

Has anyone been tempted across to Virgin Media?
  11. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    Well, the engineer has been and no matter what he tried the box is knackered. He did an instant swap out for a reconditioned Thomson box. would have preferred one of the new boxes but I can live with this as my old box had a noisier hard drive and used to freeze a lot. :rolleyes:

Rest assured that if there are any problems with this replacement Thomson box in the next couple of months, then I'll be on the blower to Sky and demanding a new replacement or will cancel. :mad:
  12. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    The £65 will cover replacement box, etc if that is the problem :smashin:
  13. pbieles

pbieles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats not too bad, considering a new box is going to set you back the best part of £200!
    I'm going to give replacing the PSU a try, think I can do this for under 30 quid. If that fails, I'll get an engineer out :mad:
  14. kenedin

kenedin Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Give your Thomsons plenty of space to breathe, folks - including underneath where cool air is drawn into the box.
  15. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    If it needs air underneath it then what does it rest on? :confused::D

Surely I don't have to remove the glass shelf from my TV cabinet and suspend the box from the ceiling via wires!! :rotfl:
  16. kenedin

kenedin Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    You'll find any number of things to get it off the shelf. I use a few black rubber doorstops. It's not rocket science, and it does help with the overheating problem. It's your box, m8, not mine.:hiya:
  17. PlasmaVirgin

Ratings:
    +125
    Aye - I was only kidding! To be honest, I didn't realise that it needed so much air underneath it. Will sort out some rubber feet for it I think to improve the airflow.

Having said that, I switched my replacement box on last night to record some programs and it flipping failed to record and locked up the channel in question. Aaargh. Surely it should not have overheated in 20 minutes? I'll monitor it for a week or two yet before I call Sky to rant! :(
  18. pbieles

pbieles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Arrrr, rubber doorstops, great idea... they'll probably look better than a couple of house bricks... :eek:
  19. pbieles

pbieles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had my PSU replaced and the box is working again - woohoo! I now have a bazillion channels of pap back again! Just looked and theres nothing on! :rolleyes: