Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help finding camcorder with mic input

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by wolfspiritinden, Mar 4, 2012.

1. wolfspiritinden

wolfspiritinden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i am looking for a camcorder i am looking to spend £250 or under
    i have 2 requirements

1. mic input
    2. at least 720p (not 720i) 1080p is preferable

i want it fore filming youtube tutorials and filming for fx including green screen and shot 5 min film clips
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Never seen a video recording device at any price that records 720i. It's not a standard HD Video standard anyway.
  3. Bill Bruner

Bill Bruner New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    wolfspirit - try the Samsung VP-HMX10/HEU (£180 used at Amazon). External mic input and 720p.

If you can find one, the Kodak Zi8 also has a mic input - and shoots 1080p.

Cheers,

Bill
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  4. 12harry

12harry Active Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Looks to me that OP is starting to get picky (no fault, mate, just an observation) - - - and soon will find the limitations of the cheaper cameras.
    Two aspect to watch out for are: low-light performance.
    -and manual focus.
    If you can have manual control over exposure that's useful, too.
    For tutorials you need to be able to hold the view's attention on a specific action and that probably means having that sharp, well lit, etc. The mic aspect IMHO isn't so important as it only affect things when you're lip-syncing and some of the tutorial will be showing the action itself (eg folding paper!), so an external recorder can be used. Also indoors a camera-mic is pretty good, if the room is quiet.
    + I have to say yr budget is pretty low.

Good luck.
  5. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    IMO the mic input is one of the most inportant things,if filming outdoors built in mics pic up wind noise very badly, an external mic even basic ones and wind muffs stop this.
  6. 12harry

12harry Active Member

Ratings:
    +231
    I think OP has gone-away - that budget wasn't realistic, IMHO.
    chrishull3:-
    - Sadly there aren't many decent "budget" Camcorders with mic-input. But I have to say my NEX5 is surprisingly good outdoors, now I've fitted a dead-cat - something that Sony could include in the box for about 50p. It's like it's another camera. However, if it's really windy (like you are being blown about), then it fails - - - but I guess even the most expensive mic would faltrer under such conditions.
    Sometimes you just have to record the sound separately.
  7. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    A Mic input is a must for me but low end cams often dont have them i know,there are some good wind muffs to be bought for external mics,never recorded separate sound personaly ,for top end productions separate would be needed.