Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Choosing a Mobo

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by Daveybryce, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Daveybryce

Daveybryce Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    I'm due an upgrade for my 2yr old Gaming HTPC rig running DDR2 memory and Dual core. Looking at a 6 core and around 8 or 16gb of DDR3 1800Mhz.

I'm not really clued up on mobo's and in the past I've always gone on features for my needs of my different PC builds, which has been pretty easy as I wasn't looking for hi end.

Now, this is where my dilemma occurs.....

I want a hi end AMD 3+ mobo but don't need 4 GPU slots, but may run ATI crossfire one day. So I only want a mobo that has all the mod cons of these 4GPU mobos such as the Sabertooth and Crosshair ones, such as higher memory speeds, a faster chipset, fault led's, etc (you get the picture).

So does anyone have any suggestions or in order to get this, or i'm gonna need to fork out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

D
  2. Daveybryce

Daveybryce Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Looks like a may have found one, just after I posted this.... Sods Law.

Anyways if anyone could look at this and let me know what you think

Asus M5A99X EVO

or

M5A97 PRO

Cheers
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Any reason why you heading down AMD hex-core route rather than the better Intel Sandy Bridge route? If the main use is gaming then the i5-2500K is a lot quicker and more power efficient. Again with RAM, 8GB is more than enough, certainly no need for 16GB.
  4. Daveybryce

Daveybryce Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Thanks for your reply,

I knew this would crop up regarding AMD vs Intel CPU's... Mainly the Cost is the issue. I'm a casual gamer that likes to play now and again, certainly not hardcore. I play all my games at 720p which is plenty for me, but I'm finding that my cpu is choking up and hindering my HD5850's performance. Playing AC-Revelations at the moment and that seems to be fine on max settings with the occassional stutter and stammer.

I just can't warrant spending 200-250 quid every 2 yrs for a processor and then have to upgrade mobo and ram at the same time which would probably come in at around 400 for the essentials.
  5. rodenal

rodenal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If cost is an issue what are you planning to spend just now? I'm not sure there's any point in spending more than say £60-70 on a board for your actual needs? You'll still be able to pick up an am3+ board (like the 970 asus board you've linked to) for that with a decent range of features. If you're thinking about potentially being able to replace the cpu in a couple of years you should be relatively safe (though it currently looks like the bulldozer chips are a bit of a waste of time, assume they will release some more in 2012 on the am3+ socket).

Same with your cpu, do you really need a 6 core? Would a 4 at higher clocks with potentially unlockable 6 not suit you better? I've had a phenom 2 B75 (effectively a multiplier locked x3 740) that I've been using for about a year and a half now with the extra core unlocked and oc'd to 3.6ghz - I paid around £50 for it (used) and it's still plenty fast enough for anything I want to do especially gaming - even if I was to run it on 3 cores at 3.6-3.8 it wouldn't struggle.

It would be worth comparing the cost of different setups - if you really want high end amd kit where you're going to be spending £100+ on the motherboard and same again on processor then you're probably "only" looking at another £50 for what will be a significantly faster intel system.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. Daveybryce

Daveybryce Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    That is some excellent advice, as you can tell I've not really kept upto speed with the market or this forum tbh.

I think I will keep the 970 mobo and look for a more sensible cpu. Overclocking is something I've never been into, nor do I want to dable in really, not that i'm scared I just can't be bothered with trying a new clock then testing, then upping a bit and testing again.

I really appreciate your comments and will be taking your advice.

Cheers
  7. Daveybryce

Daveybryce Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Kept the 970 pro mobo

gone for the AMD 960T Black CPU and 8gb of Corsair Vengence 1866Mhz Memory

All for a total of £234. 15quid cheaper than just getting the Sandybridge CPU suggested.
  8. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Not bad I guess. The 960T's are great CPUs. However, I personally would have gone with a basic Z68 motherboard, i5-2500K and 8GB RAM. Could easily be had for just £280.

The Intel setup would be quicker, more power efficient, better at overclocking and offer a better upgrade path in a year or two (Ivy Bridge for example).

Either way, the 960T isn't a bad CPU, try unlocking the disabled cores and you never know you may just get a stable hex-core! :)