1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones with all-in-one system

Discussion in 'All-in-one Systems' started by sdraw108, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sdraw108

sdraw108 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. I am about to invest in an all-in-one sound system to go with my projector. I have decided to keep my budget fairly low on this (£400 = about $600) and then upgrade it in a few years, as I have already spent a lot on the projector. So I've been looking at a couple of systems namely LG HX966TZ (LG HX966TZ Home Cinema System - 3D-Capable Blu-ray Disc) and Panasonic SC-BTT775 (Panasonic SC-BTT775 review from the experts at whathifi.com). On neither of these systems can I see any reference to a jack where I could plug in a set of headphones. Is this commonly missing on such systems? How do people use headphones to watch TV and/or listen to music with this kind of setup? My projector doesn't have any kind of audio inputs or outputs at all.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. themediaman

themediaman Member

Ratings:
    +169
    From the manuals it seems that the LG may have one next to the usb port on the front, which would tie in with similar LG home cinemas, mine included......

No sign on the Panasonic though............

If you have a projector set up, will you really be wanting to listen to your audio through headphones?
  3. sdraw108

sdraw108 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I did look through the manual but I may have missed that so I'll have another look.

I know it sounds at first a little strange to be wanting to plug headphones in, but (a) the sound system will be linked in to my PC via ethernet, so it will also be used for playing music, and (b) I live in an apartment where I have neighbours on 3 sides of me so if I'm watching a movie late at night my preference will be to use headphones rather than turn the volume very low.

EDIT: Actually, it was the Panasonic manual I read. I had only checked the LG specs on their website, so I'll go ahead and download the LG manual now.
  4. sdraw108

sdraw108 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I looked at it. They're calling it a "PORT.IN connection" but it's basically just a 3.5mm jack, used for connecting something like an MP3 player (i.e. it's not an output). Shame. I guess I'll just have to keep looking around for systems.
  5. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Can't you just plug the headphones in to the TV? It's going to be the same difference I think.
  6. sdraw108

sdraw108 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a projector, not a TV. All it takes is video data on a HDMI in (from the sound system) which it then projects onto a screen.