1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones or HDVR?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty (COD) PS3' started by Det, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Stuey1

Stuey1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +575
    When i click on the amazon link there are related products which is the same headset but with a control box and the original one doesn't seem to mention the control box
  2. ps3boy

ps3boy Member

Ratings:
    +19

Ive seen some adverts for just the headsets (the control box has sockets for 2 sets of headsets), generaly a headset on its own would be sub £90??

It should come with everything you need, i.e. control box(amp/decoder) and optical cable (albeit a cheap one although looking at wether this is an issue or not seems to be a mute point, everything Ive read so far says that digital is digital and the benefit of a £80 digital cable over a £10 one is not worth the extra money)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Det

Det Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Product Features
    5.1 channel headset
    8 speakers (4 in each earpiece)
    Digital, in-line volume control
    High end amplifier
    Independent, illuminated volume adjustment for each channel and master volume
    Supports Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic
    Supports the chat function of PS3, Xbox and Xbox 360
    Technical Details

Digital optical input (S/PDIF)
    2 analogue audio outputs for the X-Tatic headset
    3 analogue 3.5 mm audio outputs (front, rear, center / subwoofer)
    1 microphone connector for PS3 (USB A -> USB B)
    1 power connector
    Dimensions: 15 x 122 x 56 mm (H x L x W)
    Weight: 110 g

It looks like the specs on the uk amazon say it comes with all the stuff you need.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Stuey1

Stuey1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +575
    Thanks, to be honest i don't know what most of that means hence the question - just needed to be sure that i can just use it out of the box - as i dont want to get it and then find out i need to buy other stuff before i can use it :smashin:
  5. Det

Det Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Yah, I was skeptical at first because they were throwing at me all sorts of other goodies to make it even better on this thread. I was like "Whoa... I'm no AV nerd" and then they were all like "Yah, it'll work" and I was all like "Cool" and you guys were all like "Bloody Yanks" and then I died.
  6. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,152
    You'll get everything you need in the box :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ps3boy

ps3boy Member

Ratings:
    +19

LOL :laugh:
  8. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    As Tall Paul says, you get everything in the box.

Some call it the Sharkoon "Digital" which is one way to describe full box, another is the Sharkoon "analogue" which is the headset only, or sometimes, the previous V2 headset(which you don't want.), and the Analogue is usually around £60, and its considered that you would own the SCU to use the Analogue pack(say for a replacement headset only).

The two links I posted on the previous page are for the full X-tatic V3 setup..which in the box comes the headset, the SCU(control unit), a power adaptor, and different plugs, dependant on country, etc...

Also, is a cable for connecting the headset to a pc, if you wish, an optical cable(no difference from this one to a more expensive one - i've tried), a removable bendy mic..an xbox 360 chat cable, for connecting between pad, and inline headset remote, a ps3 usb chat lead, which connects to the ps3, from the SCU(and you then don't need the 360 chat lead at all if you have a ps3), and a multi language manual.

Don't think i've forgotten anything.:laugh:

EDIT: Scan is now £112, and Amazon is sitting at £120 or thereabouts...and AVF members get free delivery from Scan..
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. Det

Det Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Even if you're in the US? :)
  10. Stuey1

Stuey1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +575
    Thanks for the detail in english, I couldn't understand all the technical specs - Ordered them yesterday afternoon off amazon but delivery is 3-18 days :eek:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    Yeh, I got the similar dates when I ordered mine, but it came in a couple of days.
    I think they put it so large a time scale, as its free delivery, and HDN can be flaky in some parts of the country for speed of delivery.
  12. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    The only difference I gather from the UK - US models, is that some of the US models come with 2 power supplies, newer stock only come with 1.

- older V3's come with 2 supplies in the US, but they changed that a while back for the 1 supply that we get here in the UK, so if you buy them in the US, and it has 2 PSU's, then its old stock.
  13. Auditor

Auditor New Member

Ratings:
    +159
    I'm gonna get slewned in private matches by you lot sound whoring!!
  14. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,372
    I think he is reffering to the Scan delivery, to which the answer would be no.
  15. dean3k

dean3k Member

Ratings:
    +9
    How do you get free delivery on scan?
  16. Tall_Paul

Ratings:
    +2,152
    With headphnes + sitrep pro I can hear people miles away :D:rotfl:
  17. NightHawk

NightHawk Active Member

Ratings:
    +352
    Serves you right you Commando lunger you.
  18. Auditor

Auditor New Member

Ratings:
    +159
    You should know by now I loves me commando, of course I only use the pro part of it I never go around shanking
  19. PROMETHEUS30

PROMETHEUS30 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I might have been known to do that......sometimes.
  20. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
  21. Stuey1

Stuey1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +575
    Got my headphones last night - the neighbour brought them round whilst i was in the middle of a game of COD! immediately turned off and tried to set them up - ended up getting well confused and must have spent 30mins trying to get them to work...

Firstly i plugged the optical cable in while the protective caps were still on, and then i had the power on for the control box but never connected the power to the actual headphones and after a very frustrating 30 mins i got them working :)

I do like the sound from them but did start to find them quite uncomfortable after a few hours playing... although i think its probably just because im not used to wearing headphones :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyones help though, I think they are really good and hopefully will help me play better and its definitely more enjoyable getting to play with sound on - especially on COD as i normally have to play with very little/no sound :smashin:
  22. NightHawk

NightHawk Active Member

Ratings:
    +352
    :eek: Serious? Your game should improve, sound is essential for winning certain situations.
  23. ps3boy

ps3boy Member

Ratings:
    +19
  24. Auditor

Auditor New Member

Ratings:
    +159
    My Sennheiser stereo headphones save me getting creeped up on loads but those pesky ninja pro users can still surprise me. I do feel like getting some Turtle Beaches but then I'd feel like a pro gamer, and I'd also look a massive tool with some starship enterprise headset on my bonce when I'm play COD on the patio.
  25. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    I just sold my set of Turtle Beach X41's, only had them a couple of weeks, but TBH, I don't like the dolby Headphone sound, it's either there or not, theres no increase in sound the closer something is to you, and the positional isn't great either.
    Much prefer my sharkoons, with seperate channels, or my surround system.
  26. Det

Det Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Got my sharkoon's two nights ago. Got them set up in about 15 mins. Then only managed to play a little bit of campaign to test them out. It's ridiculously better than my son's Tritton AX720's. He's all jealous and keeps saying that mine are better and if we want to trade, lol.
  27. Stuey1

Stuey1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +575
    Yeah, only ever get to play with sound on when the mrs is out or been on my other PS3 but most of the time i play in the living room while the mrs is watching TV so get no sound...

I haven't figured out how to do anything except turn the volume up and down, im also not overly sure why there are two volume buttons, i assumed it was to turn the voice volume down but it seems to stay the same - unless one turns my voice volume down (but then i won't realise)

Yeah, i feel kind of stupid wearing headphones with a mic hanging off it! I think i'd be well embarrased if anyone appeared at our house while im sat wearing them, but it is much better than playing with no sound :clap:
  28. ps3boy

ps3boy Member

Ratings:
    +19
    i dont use a mic (find it difficult to talk and play at the same time:blush:) but I thought the controls on the right hand side of the volume and speaker control unit were purely for the xbox (may be wrong though) with the exception of the slider switch that turns the mic on and off.

(I maybe completley wrong of course):thumbsup:
  29. Tall_Paul

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Miain volume is the rocker switch on the left side, the wheel on the right controls the chat volume in your ear (i.e. how loud you hear other people talking) and is for both ps3 and 360 :smashin:

Only issue I have is that the mic volume wheel is very easy to adjust, so as the control unit sits on the sofa next to me its quite easy to rub it on my leg and turn the mic volume right down, I'll often be chatting away thinking everyones ignoring me when I've got the volume turned down :facepalm::rotfl:
  30. austinqpr

austinqpr Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    :D

That often happens to me. Although you probably all ignore me anyway :rotfl: