Headphones or HDVR?

I'll be using Final Cut Express. I convert the .m2ts files our family camcorder makes in Voltaic and then edit in FCE. It all works pretty well but I have heard loads of good things about Sony Vegas. Might have to check it out but is it PC only ? My Main PC is only rigged to the living LCD and not ideal for desktop stuff. Hence why I use the iMac. Ah well, another toy to tinker with :D

EDIT: Lol, Scott......an E-Cig :laugh: Thats a new one on me ! I think I'm craving one !

Yep pc only, part of the reason I went from a macbook to a Sony vaio :eek::rolleyes:

Core i7 processor helps with the rendering though as it can use all 8 cores :cool:

Tritton Technologies - AX Pro Gaming Headset for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Mac/Windows - TRI-GA611

So these are essentially the same as the Sharkoon's but the Sharkoon's would be $10 cheaper? I think I'll go with these just cause I have the $20 gift cert to Best Buy :)

Det,

+1 for the Astro Mixamp, what a brilliant piece of kit and like HillSkill states it can be used with any stereo headphones.

I went the whole 9 yards and paired them with the A40 headset and its a beaut!! 5.1 from the PS3 to my amp then 2.1 out from my Denon amp by optical and then hears the clever bit near perfect 5.1 in my ears without disturbing anyone.

Not cheap but astounding value!

Det,

+1 for the Astro Mixamp, what a brilliant piece of kit and like HillSkill states it can be used with any stereo headphones.

I went the whole 9 yards and paired them with the A40 headset and its a beaut!! 5.1 from the PS3 to my amp then 2.1 out from my Denon amp by optical and then hears the clever bit near perfect 5.1 in my ears without disturbing anyone.

Not cheap but astounding value!

I actually find the Astros a little "too good"

It annoys me that I can hear absolutely every minor detail with such clarity. Even when equipping SitRep Pro, Ninja Pro etc I hear my footsteps as normal. :rolleyes:

Add into that the sound of explosions, gun fire, air support, I find it a bit MORE difficult to hear the enemy on occasions. :rolleyes:

Wait, can I not run the sharkoon's directly through my PS3 to my ears? Cause I don't think my 8 year old Amp has optical. It has done the job (maybe cause I have Bose speakers attached to it) but it is getting old.

I don't want to have to replace it just so I can use the headphones. Explain please. I'm not an AV nerd :)

Wait, can I not run the sharkoon's directly through my PS3 to my ears? Cause I don't think my 8 year old Amp has optical. It has done the job (maybe cause I have Bose speakers attached to it) but it is getting old.

I don't want to have to replace it just so I can use the headphones. Explain please. I'm not an AV nerd :)

Yep, you don't need the amp, basically it connects from the optical out on the ps3 into the sharkoon decoder box (which sits next to your ps3 - it also has a mains power cable and a usb cable to your ps3 for chat) and this connects to your headphones :smashin:

ok, cool. You guys had me scared there for a second, lol.

lol

Never one to be impulsive.............Ive just ordered some sharkoons based on whats being said here:smashin:

£113 will be here Monday apparently, should be worth 10 extra kills per match :devil:

Copy Catter Hatter!

I have to wait till this weekend to order mine, lol. Doesn't bother me though cause I have homework.

When I'm on fire I can rinse everyone out with my stereo Sennheiser HD25's

See your friendly forum Auditor only needs left and right speakers, none of this 5:1 surround sound business

When I'm on fire I can rinse everyone out with my stereo Sennheiser HD25's

See your friendly forum Auditor only needs left and right speakers, none of this 5:1 surround sound business
Me too :)

But imagine what you could be like with headphones and soundwhoring :)

But honestly, half the time my volume is turned way down because my daughter is asleep or the wife and kids are. This way I can actually hear the game and people coming up behind me. Great for SnD!!!

Copy Catter Hatter!

I have to wait till this weekend to order mine, lol. Doesn't bother me though cause I have homework.

lol :laugh: I'll still have to wait until Monday night/Tuesday to use them. Tried to find a 'walk in shop' (remember those?) here in Uk to buy some but ended up ordering online.

Ive only just started playing owith headphones on over the last week, it does make a difference:thumbsup:

So.... will the sharkoon's come with a mixamp or is that something I would have to buy separate?

So.... will the sharkoon's come with a mixamp or is that something I would have to buy separate?

Comes with everything you need inc an optical cable (although it's a cheap one) - the decoder box does all the dolby stuff, pro logic for 2 channel audio, you can set time delay on an individual channel, there's dynamic range control etc etc. Then the inline remote is where you adjust each channels volume & overall volume, mute heaphones and/or mic, and adjust mic volume :smashin:

It seems pretty confusing but once you've got it all set up it's just a case of switching on the decoder box & the headphones each time and away you go :smashin:

I think I'll wet my pants the first time I use them after setting them up.

I just negotiated a Hauppage HD PVR with my wife too so I can get that in a couple weeks, lol.

I'm supposed to be doing schoolwork... semester just started up for another 8 weeks.

lol... That's hilarious and despicable at the same time.

I've got a set of Sharkoons, and a HD PVR, I'd say go for the headset :smashin:

Without spending £100, are there many headsets that give both ingame sounds and also allow mic chat? Many of the cheaper ones seem to be PC chat only and not PS3 compat. I dislike having a headset on and loosing one ear to soley chat only.

Last edited:
Without spending £100, are there many headsets that give both ingame sounds and also allow mic chat? Many of the cheaper ones seem to be PC chat only and not PS3 compat. I dislike having a headset on and loosing one ear to soley chat only.

I've got the Turtle Beach PX21's only had them for about a week but I really like them.

My sharkoons arrived last night and although ive only had a bit of a play with them I'm very impressed by the sound and quality.

I think I need to tweak the settings a bit to get the best out of them (anyone got any tips??) but they give a really good spacial sound (IMO) and you can clearly hear the direction of incoming fire/explosions/people coming upstairs etc. etc.

At the moment, really pleased with them:thumbsup:

Was going to purchase some of these Sharkoons as we now have a little person sleeping in the house.

Any suggestions on best place to buy based on price/reliable retailer?

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom