Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones on budget: Best HiFi headphones under £40

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by nemrtvy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. nemrtvy

nemrtvy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking for under £40 hifi headphones for my small living room.

It seems that there is quite a lot headphones to choose from.

So far I am thinking about these headphones:

Goldring GD50
    Beyerdynamic DTX700
    Koss TD85

or wireless: Sennheiser RS110

If you have other recommendations please dont hesitate to write them.

I dont really care whether they will be wired or wireless, I want maximum sound quality for the budget rather that wireless option.

Preferred music: DNB, Ambient, Experimental and Movies

My current system is:

Yamaha RX620
    Samsung DVD HD870
    Mordaunt Shorts MS20i

Thank you.
  2. nemrtvy

nemrtvy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Bump. Anyone?

What is the difference between Open and Closed HiFI headphones?

Thanks.
  3. kmanmx

kmanmx Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Open headphones mean literally that, they are open to let sound in and let sound out, they often sound more spatial and better quality than closed back, but closed back usually have the advantage in the bass department.

Do not let what i just said above make you think by any means that closed back headphones sound bad. That is not true AT ALL. But generally, if your not using them for monitoring or will be using them around the house - open back are the way to go.

Look at these

Audiio Technica ATH AD300
    Stretch you're budget and go for ATH-AD500
    Some of the sennheisers around you're pricerange are good, as are Grado SR80 (but you will probably think there uncomfortable)

Now, here's the thing, these headphone > http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/22776/Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open Air Headphones.htm
    Are double your budget BUT, if you have never herd good hifi headphones before these will rock your socks off, you will be very happy with spending the £90 for the quality these headphones bring you, seriously i strongly advise just saving up that extra 40 or 50 for a few weeks.

For all the models mentioned above there are there closed back counterparts with similar names. There all more expensive. If you were really feeling adventurous, get these:
    http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/22771/Audio Technica ATH-A700 Art Headphones.htm

If you look on there website you will also find many, many other models and all the ones i mentioned above.
    http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/ipod/38/Hi-Fi Headphones.htm

In Hi-Fi, wether thats headphones or speakers, nearly all people will go 'I have a £1000 budget', and 2 months later they have actually spent around £1200 or £1300 on there system, because just a little more money cangive you even better sound quality - and the only people on these forums are usually audiophiles, so that makes it very hard to resist...
    Have fun, and enjoy !
  4. Daz_White

Daz_White Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Some good advice kmanmx. I wish I hadn't seen those ATH-AD700. If those phones sound a fraction as good as the look then I want.

On the same site the Sennheiser HD555 are £65.99 which is a very good deal. Great headphones for the money I think.

As for the Beyer DTX700, I'd give them a miss as you can get the perennial favourite Beyer 231DTg for £32.99. The Beyer DTX900 are listed at £51.99 and worth the extra cash.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. kmanmx

kmanmx Member

Ratings:
    +8
    They do sound as good as they look, i can tell you that now. But REAL Hi_Fi begins with the A900's and AD900's..

Im currently looking forward to getting the Sennheiser HD 650 (some say it is the best headphone ever :) ) And looking at reviews, most people would tend to agree... i can't wait :smashin:
  6. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Whilst your enthusiasm is much appreciated,since you've been asking for advice on which headphones to buy,whether or not open or closed are best and are asking advice on your first hifi system in other threads,perhaps it would be best to offer advice based on listening experience and use,as opposed to reviews and other person's opinions.
  7. Daz_White

Daz_White Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Sticky ?
  8. mattski73

mattski73 Member

Ratings:
    +30
  9. sp4rc

sp4rc Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with the comments above about the open design Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. You get a lot of incredible sound for the price. Big open sound stage and good quality Audio-Technica build quality.

My preference is for the natural sound of open back headphones, but I've heard some listeners comment that they like the strong bass sound given by a closed back (or sealed) pair.
  10. grodecki

grodecki Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I own a pair of the closed A900s and they are fantastic headphones, the 3D wing system on ATs is SO much better than anything else that I can never see myself moving away from them.

Was about to reccomend buying from abroad but the price on AD700s over here is suprisingly reasonable! I'd go for those. I listened to a pair of AD900s, and they were stunning, if their little brothers are half as good, they'd be great. Just need closed myself for work and other purposes, so I don't disturb anyone...
  11. Daz_White

Daz_White Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hang on a mo' tho'.

The budget is ~£40

Don't let this guy think you can't get great headphones at that price. It is possible.

The following are all available for £33-£45:

Sennheiser HD515
    ATH-AD300
    Beyer DT231g
    Beyer DTX800
    Equation RP21
    Goldring100

What to go for ?

My preference would be to demo them all and make your mind up from there. But I know that's not always possible.

The best compromise between audio quality, comfort, price and suitability for your musical tastes would be (drumroll)

The DTX800. By a whisker. The Sennheiser and Goldrings are brilliant, just different.

If you can't make your mind up, get the DT231g. Less than £30 if you hunt around for them so not the end of the world if you don't like them.
  12. honglong

honglong Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Best headphones for under £40?

Easy..

iGrado

sound in between the SR60 and SR80
  13. mattski73

mattski73 Member

Ratings:
    +30
  14. nemrtvy

nemrtvy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for your help. I was thinking about Goldring DR100 as those are £20 brand new on ebay but I prefer to pay up to £40 for nice sound, good bass and importantly for comfort as I think I will be using them 3-4 hours a day.

I would love to test them but it;s difficult to do that as not many shops allow to listen
  15. nemrtvy

nemrtvy Member

Ratings:
    +4
  16. mattski73

mattski73 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    i'm going to try and be tactful here, and say that they are strangely comfortable. they're not 'uncomfortable' per se, but (for me) the drivers sit on your ears, not the ear pads. now, that's in my personal experience. it's not uncomfortable, because the padding on the drivers are made of wonderful stuff. it's just a strange kind of comfort.

however, as you might expect from a pair of DJ headphones, they are bulky, but this doesn't put me off them, because they can perform.
  17. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Agreed, they'd be my choice too.

Alternatives are the Koss Porta-Pro and Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactic.
  18. DHK

DHK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been a lurker for a while but inspired to ask for opinions by this thread.

I'm in the same boat as the OP in that I am looking for headphones and am willing to spend around £40-£60 on them, with sound quality being the highest factor I am considering.

Initially I was on the lookout for a wireless pair (not been mentioned yet in this thread) because I would like the freedom to listen to music from my PC or sometimes for ease my DVD player whilst doing things in other rooms. My house isn't that big so the signal would rarely travel through more than two walls, usually just the one. This had me debating whether to get the Sennheiser rs120s or 130s (£31 and £55). I do worry about the idea of having a hiss in the background that comes with wireless and wondered if this is a real problem? I figured buying the rs130 would give me the best value for my money.

But reading through this topic gave me the idea of buying a wireless pair and a wired pair, probably the 120 and the Beyer dt231g for collectively around £62, which would allow me to use wireless when I need to, but have the better quality wired connection whenever I am close to the PC/DVD player. Would this be a better option, or does the 130 perform better than the Beyer dt231g even with the wireless?

Oh, and is there any sound loss when using a 3.5mm to phono connection converter? Because from what I can tell the 120 is only a 3.5mm whereas the 130 also offers a phono connection, which would be better for me for easy access DVD music playing because my TV doesn't have a headphone socket so I'd need the sound directly from the DVD. So to listen with the 120s I'd need a 3.5mm to phono converter but I don't want lose any quality.

Thanks!
  19. mattski73

mattski73 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    if you're looking for a wireless pair then the Senn's are the best for the price. but please don't give up on the RP21's.
  20. DHK

DHK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, and I did make a note of the £45 +P&P RP21s you recommend, but you didn't really answer what I was asking.

I had already decided that if I go wireles, to go Sennheiser. I was enquiring more about the differences between the two, and if it is worth getting the 130 alone, or buying the 120 and a good £30~ wired set of headphones. Should I settle for 120 quality when wireless and wired quality when close up, or fork out for the 130s as they will be good enough quality anyway.

And the phono/3.5mm question.
  21. mattski73

mattski73 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    the answer is yes, and yes.

yes you could buy the 120's and for £30 i'd go for the iGrado's

yes you could buy the 130's, however i wouldn't have thought the difference in sonic terms would be worth the extra cost. but since i haven't listened to my sisters Senn wireless that i bought her for her birthday (aren't i a good brother?) i have to say i can't remember what they sounded like.

i'd say go for choice A if you have to. 120 wireless and some iGrado's or better still if you want a bit of thump the JBL 410's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-410-Refer...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
  22. DHK

DHK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice there Matt, can't deny I'm siding towards the wired and wireless because I'd get the added bonus of being able to use the better quality wired pair for same room listening but also on the train when I start commuting. But was worried there would be a real audible difference between the RS120s and 130s, enough to justify the £20. If opinion here is that it isn't, I'm plucking for the 120s.

Those JBLs you linked haven't been mentioned in this thread before (that I can see) and are cheaper than all the other pairs I have been looking at? Are they really better than the others?
  23. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +84
    I would definitely recommend the Sennheiser RS130's over the RS120's. The RS130's sound a little better, they have more comfortable earcups/headbands and they conveniently auto-tune.

The Sennheiser RS140's are closed back and really only of interest if you are using them in a noisy environment, or if you are going to be using them sitting next to someone who you may annoy.
  24. DHK

DHK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply HH. I've actually changed my mind since my last post, and decided to go without wireless, wasn't sure I really needed them when every room I might want to use them in has some sort of CD playing apparatus in it. That and the better sound quality.

Can't bring myself to make a decision. Beyer DT231 has been recommended a lot for the beginner on a budget, but I think I'd rather have the open experience and I want over the ears not on the ears. Thinking of going for a long drive to the nearest Richer Sounds to get to hear a few headphones and get their advice. At the moment I'm thinking Senn HD515 although it's a little more than I wanted to pay which steers me to the HD485s but I have no way to compare. I've an eye to buy the Senn PX100s when I start commuting in August. Any suggestions before I take the plunge.
  25. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +84
    The Sennheiser PX100's (or the similar Sennheiser PX200 closed back headphones) are truly excellent all rounders. The normal differences between open and close back headphones apply (see our Guide to Headphone Types), so the PX200's are particularly suited to commuting. The closed back design also means that you can listen at home without others having to put up with your noise!

Most mid-range Sennheiser's are a fairly safe bet. The major deciding factor is normally the fit on your head and ears as well as basic headphone design (open, closed, full size, in ear, etc). I agree that trying them out first is a good idea.