1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI switch/splitter advice

Discussion in 'HDMI Cables & Switches' started by mikeplow1961, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm in the process of planning out a home cinema set up and have an Onkyp Av amp which has one HDMI output. This has been fine up to now but we're going to be adding a projector so I'm going to need to take the hdmi feed to both the tv and projector.

Do I just need a splitter that will feed the signal into both devices at the same time (only one would be on at a time. I'd really like something that doesn't need any power.

I've seen splitters on ebay for ten to twenty quid. Is that all I need? If anyone could reccomend one that would be fantastic. Ideally as cheap as poss, my budget is already spiralling! lol.
  2. Member 213491

Member 213491 Member

Ratings:
    +104
  3. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Do I need one that is powered? I was hoping I might be able to use e a non powered splitter as power sockets are already at a premium.
  4. Member 213491

Member 213491 Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Nope HDMI Splitters are always powered.

:clap:
  5. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Good grief, my electrcity meter is already whizzing round at such a high speed that I expect it to find the Higgs Bosun any day. :)
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,758
    Non-powered units try and pull power from the Source device - it can work but not guaranteed!

Onkyo AVR's (like many AVR's) can be tricky to integrate with a DA - a DA with EDID management can be useful to resolve handshake issues!

Joe
  7. Sparked

Sparked Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I dont mean to hijack this thread but I am looking to purchase a HDMi splitter, the one linked in post #2 seems a reasonable price but would it be any good to use with 3D programes?

I only ask because the discription says "It can be used with high specification HDMI (V.1.3 with Deep Colour) devices/cables with no risk of reduced performance." but I was hoping to use V.1.4 cables so would this splitter be sufficient?
  8. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,758
    Forget about version numbers on cable and kit!

Cables - pretty much any HDMI cable handles 3D, for belts and braces look for the official High Speed logo; any other branding is just tosh!

Kit - look for specific Features, if you want 3D look for 3D support in the kit Spec!

3D via a Distribution Amp (splitter) you also need to look out for potential problems if only one of your Display devices is 3D compatible! You may require a DA with EDID management!

Joe
  9. Sparked

Sparked Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, thank you for your help and advice,

I have a Samsung D8000 in the front room and a Panasonic plasma (not 3D compatable) in the back room and I will need a 15 meter cable to reach the plasma tv, both TV's will run off of a Sky HD box in the front room, so would this splitter be any good? 1x2 HDMI Splitter

Also would this cable be good enough? it will be running under floorboards to reach the Plasma (non 3D TV), eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Then I would run 2 of these cables, 1 from the Sky HD box to the splitter and 1 to the back of the D8000 (3D TV) eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Sorry I know the cables may be cheap but I was more so wanting to make sure the 3D will run correctly. :thumbsup:
  10. Member 213491

Member 213491 Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Yes, and 3D and CEC Works perfect on it.

:thumbsup:
  11. Member 213491

Member 213491 Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Come that hdmi cable to this baby
    http://ukhdmi.com/mg.php?src=101582-UKHDMI-6-GB.jpg

Its using a 28AWG we only use 28AWG from 0.5m~5m. Copper cost money.

I would recommend spend money on things that work, its not nice to install 15m cables and find out things dont work exactly the way you want it.

As for hdmi splitter that one is perfect.

:clap:
  12. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,758
    You have two potential problems!

HDMI was never designed to run out to 15m - If you are lucky the cable you link to may work? I'd run 2. X CAT6 alongside any HDMI cable you choose to install.

If you have 1 x 3D + 1 x non-3D Display a simple DA (splitter) that lacks EDID management is unlikely to work for you!

Joe
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've just ordered one from you. I borrowed a non powered one from a mate but as you said, it couldn't do the job. Look forward to receiving it and will let you know I get on.
  14. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Received promptly and finally got round to testing today. Does exactly what it's supposed to, very happy.
  15. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I bought the splitter reccomended above and while it does a great job, it doesn't seem to automatically recognise my Optoma GT750xl. Watching 3d on Sky 3D I have to manually put the projector into SBS 3D mode and my XBOX 360 doesn't recognise that a 3d compaitible device is attached to it at all. Is this because the device outputs to both devices simultaneously? Do I need a splitter which will actually switch output depending on which device is powered up?
  16. Jack2012

Jack2012 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The only HDMI splitter, which has this feature is nSplitter QS. In the QuickSwitch mode it detects which display is active and which is in the stand-by mode and generates a virtual EDID table based on parameters of the active displays only.
  17. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,758
    If you connect SKY direct to your Optoma Projector do you get Auto 3D recognition?

Joe
  18. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Not tried it but as I'm using a Dreambox sat receiver I doubt it sends out anything but the video as a Dvi output. I manually put the Optoma into 3d mode.
  19. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,758
    You lost me there - your complaint was that SKY via the Splitter to your Optoma required some Manual intervention for 3D rather than everything being Auto - not sure where the Dreambox comes into it or why you haven't tested Sky direct to the Projector!

Joe