Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI sound without extended desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by sadyc, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sadyc

sadyc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have an ATI HD 6850 hooked up over HDMI to a onkyo receiver.

Is it possible to activate the audio HDMI output without also extending the desktop?
    Basically I just want to output audio on that HDMI connection.

Thanks
  2. DarrellW94

DarrellW94 Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Yeah, should be able to, just select the desktop you want to use in CCC. Then go into control panel > hardware and sound > manage audio devices (I have Realtek) and change sound from speakers to Realtek HDMI audio in my case - you should have something similar! Then just put it onto the right input on your receiver and it should work! Let me know if this helps! :smashin:
  3. sadyc

sadyc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer, but I can't do what you suggested.
    If I only have enabled my LCD monitor then the HDMI audio is disabled (because the desktop is not extended or cloned to the TV, so the TV is disabled)
    If I enable the TV then it will either extend or clone my desktop to my TV.
    I need a way to enable the TV, but without extending the desktop on it.

Can you explain what you mean by "just select the desktop you want to use in CCC" ?

Do I need to enable hydravision?
  4. chrono7

chrono7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know the only way i could get it to work was to use the optical port on my motherboard. I couldn't figure that out either.
  5. mitholese

mitholese Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a radeon hd6850 and yamaha dsp 763ax and to get the hd sound, i just connect the hdmi from the radeon to the amp input (hdmi), and ran the video through the dvi connection with a hdmi adaptor. I dont use the yamaha for display. Seems to work for me ok.
  6. sadyc

sadyc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Do you get that without having 2 desktops?
    Can you tell me what driver/catalyst verion do you have?

Why don't you use the same HDMI connection for video as well?
  7. sergiup

sergiup Active Member

Ratings:
    +560
    I have the same issue as you, with a Radeon 4870. I used to have HDMI bypassing everything and going straight into the TV, and optical into the amp for sound, which worked fine. I haven't found any way of outputting sound-only over HDMI yet, and if I plug the HDMI into the amp it makes my PC recognise/disconnect that "display" everytime I switch to or from it, it's just a pain..
  8. weavermech

weavermech Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hiyas,

I had this working when I had a 1050 monitor.

Setup:
    Sony 810 amp, Pana 1080 plasma, 6850, pc (dvi to monitor, hdmi to amp)

I just set the TV to duplicate the monitor in Windows/Catalyst, but left it turned off.
    If amp was off, hdmi sound was disabled monitor works as usual, sound out of headphones for gaming/browsing etc.
    Turn amp on, switches to hdmi audio (default) and music comes out when I play it from Winamp.
    Turn TV on, select extend desktop in windows and watch a film in 5.1

Then last week I fiddled with -something- :/ in Catalyst and managed to get it to automatically

Desktop extend for films when I turn amp and tv on, or
    With amp on TV off, stay as one monitor desktop with hdmi sound, or
    With amp and TV off, have one monitor desktop, sound out of headphones

This was perfect, no messing with settings everytime.

Now I have a 1200 monitor, and neither setup works. Can't duplicate as the 1200 monitor drops to 1080, and cannot get hdmi audio to work unless the desktop is extended. No good for listening to music and working/browsing as the mouse goes off the edge.

If anyone has ideas, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Weaver
  9. zantarous

zantarous Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Did anyone ever find a solution for this? It seems crazy that I have to extend my desktop to get the HDMI port to produce sound. I have just uninstalled Catalyst as it seem to crash after a while and just seem to be very unstable. Trying the windows driver but that also requires me to extend the desktop.
  10. coasterkid

coasterkid Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi this problem still exists on hd 7970 and 12.8 drivers. Does extending desktop reduce gaming performance?
  11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    This isn't a fault as such, imagine if you're watching tv and then you turn your tv off, you lose picture and sound right? Well same issue here, the hdmi device is audio and video combined so if you don't have the tv active then you don't get the sound. I used a bit of software though, i think it was Ultramon to disable the 2nd monitor without disabling the sound back when i had my ATI card, and again when i had a 1.3 amp and needed to use a seperate hdmi cable for 3d video and hd audio. It's still enabled in hardware but it's disabled by the software so you still get the sound.
  12. coasterkid

coasterkid Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Marc
    Thanks for the response. I'll give that ago! Would it be the same if I got nvidia card?
  13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    yeah same thing on nvidia. You have the option of disabling the hdmi audio in the control panel and keeping the display, but you can't turn off the 2nd display without losing the audio, but with ultramon you can do it.
  14. coasterkid

coasterkid Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Marc
    I'm struggling to get this to work. Will it affect fps in games with my desktop extended?
    Thanks in advance
  15. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    if both displays have the same refresh rate then it shouldn't really affect the frame rate, at least not by much. The main problem i had was when playing games with a mouse, sometimes the mouse pointer would go onto the other display and when i clicked the mouse it would come out of the game..
  16. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,802
    I have a 6850 and have no issues with sound via HDMI.

I just set the sound via the sound control panel in the control panel and its fine.

The PC setup in extended mode:

[​IMG]

The default audio option:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      164.7 KB
      Views:
  17. coasterkid

coasterkid Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi. Yes my hd 7970 has no issues if I extend the desktop but its just hooked upto my tv via plasma so I don't want to extend the desktop + it will affect fps too