HDMI port not working!!!!!!!

macdoge

Standard Member
Reaction score
My first post so here goes!!!!

I tried to change onto the HDMI connection and what do I get, a blank picture....

Now, I know it worked as i had tried it before so phoned Telewest to ask for assistance.

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with a very helpful lady, but to start with she wasnt believing me.

We went through this 4 or 5 different times, different ways trying to change onto hidef, then I was told they will get a technician to look into it and will be back in contact within 3 days....

I went and bought a hidef component lead and hey presto, works perfectly.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, do we need to tell Telewest to sort this out!!!

I have this problem to, I get Hi def using component but when I try to use HDMI to DVI connecter all I get is graphics no picture.
I have put queries on forum and most suggest a new HDMI-DVI cable as some dont work.
Are you using HDMI to HDMI or HDMI-DVI.

Don't have Telewest my self, but I have seen a few comments from people on this board with the same issue. I think it may be a known problem. I am sure if you look though some of the recent posts you will find other people with this issue.

I had the same problem, think its a problem with the cheap telewest HDMI cable, i swapped the cable around and it worked fine, i.e. I put the end that was in the back of the tv into the tv drive and vice versa...this worked for me

What is the display?

Is it HDCP compliant (will be if HDMI, may not be if DVI input)?

And, have you tried another cable (el cheapo HDMI cables are best avoided like the plague)?

The display is a black screen. I know it worked before as I did have it working. Its a HDMI - HDMI cable, have tried the telewest one and also the one I bought from comet, a Monster for £80......

Telewest in my opinion need to look into this el rapido. They are supplying the kit and it should work as described.

My gaffer told me at work today that he has the same problem. HDMI-HDMI on a Hitachi 7200.
He even swapped out the cable, to no effect.
Looking like a socket fault, they're swapping the box on wednesday.

Don't waste your cash on really expensive HDMI cables...as long as the cable is of reasonable quality the clever error correction will do the rest...still avoid el cheapo ones though :) - they are normally really stiff (oo'er) and hard to run.

Save your money for a decent set of component cables :)

macdoge said:
The display is a black screen. I know it worked before as I did have it working. Its a HDMI - HDMI cable, have tried the telewest one and also the one I bought from comet, a Monster for £80......

Telewest in my opinion need to look into this el rapido. They are supplying the kit and it should work as described.

Has anyone had problems with both the HDMI and the component? I just got a Tosh 42WLT66 and can't get the TVDrive to output through either component or HDMI!!

I have noticed this fault on a few of my customers machines.

I think the HDMI socket on the back of the TV Drive is not very reliable.

If you dont get an HD HDMI picture, try pulling the HDMI connector out about 3mm, this sometimes works.

Regards

Andy (TOKYO TV)

Are you clicking "yes" on the "new" source (HDMI / component) - I spent ages figuring that one out and had laugh when I noticed the menu actually tells you to do this! :)

dan_ys said:
Has anyone had problems with both the HDMI and the component? I just got a Tosh 42WLT66 and can't get the TVDrive to output through either component or HDMI!!

macdoge said:
My first post so here goes!!!!

I tried to change onto the HDMI connection and what do I get, a blank picture....

Now, I know it worked as i had tried it before so phoned Telewest to ask for assistance.

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with a very helpful lady, but to start with she wasnt believing me.

We went through this 4 or 5 different times, different ways trying to change onto hidef, then I was told they will get a technician to look into it and will be back in contact within 3 days....

I went and bought a hidef component lead and hey presto, works perfectly.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, do we need to tell Telewest to sort this out!!!

This may or may not help and if it's already a well known solution I apologise in advance.

I had my TVDrive installed today. Its connected up to a Toshiba 37WLT66.

The install guy refused to have anything to do with the HD configuration, but did leave me with an HDMI cable afetr some persuasion.

After he left I connected up the HDMI on the TVDrive to HDMI port 1 on the TV(The Tosh has a pair of HDMI inputs). However when attemping to activate the HDMI in the "Servces & Settings" - "Display & Audio" menu the TVDrive kept telling me that no HD TV was detected. When I ran the test connection it came back with a blank screen. After a few seconds the blank screen times out and I was asked by the unit if I saw a picture.

Obvioulsy I answered no as I couldn't. There are dire warnings in the booklet informing that if you say yes it will activate the HDMI port, disable the SCART and you are then stymied as you have no HDMI picture.

I rang Telewest and the guy who I spoke to said this was a well know issue. Firstly he ensured I had the HDMI cable connected up at both ends, then we ran through the HDMI config. He recommended selecting 720 over 1080 as "its a better picture".

We then did the test and when asked if I has seen the picture he said select "yes" even though I couldn't. I ended up with a blank screen. This he said was because I have disabled the SCART output but my TV is still switched to the AV1 input that the SCART cable runs to.

With the screen blank he asked me to press the "text" button at the bottom right of the controller twice, then on the TV controller sekect the HDMI as the input source.

Sure enough the signal was there, nice and clear with an error message about text not being available. This is why he wanted me to select text, just to pop up the error message.

We had a chuckle about the misinformation in the TVdrive HDMI config screens though to be fair he found it more amusing than I.

Everything has been perfect since.

I did pretty much the same, except after you hit "yes", I hit the HDMI input button on my tele remote, straight away. On my Hitachi 7200, it's AV6.
The TVDrive then found it no problem.
Pretty poor state of affairs,though.

More worrying is the fact that mine wasn't set up via HDMI either.
It was left in Scart RGB mode.
The installer told the missus that he had been pulled from his training course after 2 and a half hours, when everyone else had 2 days training :confused:

I smell porkpies and guess that because of the workload, the installers have had the utmost minimum training.

I'm just wondering how many people have got Telewest HD and are going "wow, what an unbelieveably good picture" , when they're actually watching SD :eek:

Jordans Norks said:
Are you clicking "yes" on the "new" source (HDMI / component) - I spent ages figuring that one out and had laugh when I noticed the menu actually tells you to do this! :)

Yes, I've tried but it is telling me that it can't detect an HD ready TV on HDMI and comes up with a blank test screen for both outputs on the test setting.

Annoyingly, I've also discovered the component output on my multi-region DVD player doesn't work, so I am going to have to watch all of my American DVDs via scart. Is it usual for this many connections to go wrong, or have I just been unlucky?

There's a heat problem with the TV Drive. I'm on my second one and the HDMI connection has just failed yet again. I'm connected to a Sagem 56" DLP via an HDMI to DVI connection. Worked a treat until the heat affects the HDMI socket. I can use the box via scart and if I apply upwards pressure on the HDMI socket, I can get a picture from the HDMI socket. It's almost as if the socket's unsoldered itself from the board. The hardware should be a late prototype at best. I know of at least three people who have the same problem and are on their third box. Telewest have shot themselves in the foot in an attempt to upstage Sky. I doubt they'll have fixed the problem yet.

My first post. I've tried the HDMI output via medium and high quality 5m leads to both Screenplay 5700 and Screenplay 7210 projectors HDMI input and there is no picture. Picture is present on Component to Component output/input.
Projector HDMI input (via a convertor) works with Denon DVD player, so problem likely to be with Scientific Atlanta's TW HD box. Is my conclusion right ? Does anybody from Telewest read their section here ? Do they care ?

We badly need some HD programs. Sky have quite a lot, including Artsworld which would be very welcome.

Monquey said:
My first post. I've tried the HDMI output via medium and high quality 5m leads to both Screenplay 5700 and Screenplay 7210 projectors HDMI input and there is no picture. Picture is present on Component to Component output/input.
Projector HDMI input (via a convertor) works with Denon DVD player, so problem likely to be with Scientific Atlanta's TW HD box. Is my conclusion right ? Does anybody from Telewest read their section here ? Do they care ?

We badly need some HD programs. Sky have quite a lot, including Artsworld which would be very welcome.
Have you actually turned on the HDMI output on the Telewest box?

Yes. I've been thru that procedure where the message asks you to wait and see if you get the picture, and I don't.

Monquey - I'm using a TVDRIVE and a 5700 and it works fine. I have tried it at 720P and 1080i and both are OK. I did invest in a decent cable from Joe at the Media Factory (Bettercables are the manufacturer, £100 for a cable!) as I wanted a 12m run. It also works with my Pioneer 868 which I know another forum member had problems getting working with the 5700. I'm not normally one to spend a lot on cables but in this case it seems money well spent. I think in your case the problem may well be with the TVDrive itself though as you say you have tried good cables, have you an HDMI TV to hook it up to and see if that works?

Well I'm getting nothing now! - I've gone and disabled the scart! :eek: - any ideas on how to get it back?

greig said:
Well I'm getting nothing now! - I've gone and disabled the scart! :eek: - any ideas on how to get it back?

No panic :cool: I may have "lost" the scart but I got HDMI!:D

Hello all

Sounds like not being able to get Telewest isn't so bad after all :)

Its amazing that these companies are sending out engineers who wont touch the HDMI/HD connectivity - or maybe they found out during 'installer training' that it was going to be a nightmare.

Just one quick word for Jordans Norks there is no error correction on HDMI - you have to get all of your ducks set up correctly; Source, Cable, Repeater/Switch (if required) and Display.

A bit of light reading here - see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI deciphered.htm

Joe

I am one of those lucky people on my third box! The HDMI socket failed twice. It looks like a dry joint on the socket to me. Mine failed minutes before the first England match was about to start!
Anyway the precedure if you have switched on HDMI and get no picture is:
reset the box while holding down play/pause and stop. When the box comes up the display will show something different, like 720p or HDMI cannot remember but you can use the channel up/dwn puttons to change the ooutput to scart.
ps all the buttons should be pressed on the front pannel not the remote.
hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom