Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI & Component options

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by nickane, Oct 23, 2007.

1. nickane

nickane Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Not to speak out of place, but I think this should be stickied, and I think there should be another similar thread in the PVR section.

For ages I have wanted an STB that has either a component or HDMI output. At the moment I need the latter, since I don't have an amp and all the component inputs on my projector are used up, but I won't bore you with my setup/connection problems/financial limitations. I've been coming to both these forums looking to free myself from my composite quandary and there seem to be a million threads all as indefinitive as the last. It used to be that some PVRs had component out (Topfield 5800, the favourite in most respects fits this bill), but only one STB did:

The Netgem I-player (also with HDMI)

However, there has been a slew of HDMI-enabled STBs come out lately. It started with the

Goodmans GDB15HD

and then there were models from

Bush DFTA16HD
    Wharfedale DV832HDMI
    Alba (supposedly Argos considers this model interchangeable with the goodmans, whafedale and bush, but i can't find it anywhere)
    Grundig (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-9351.aspx), £42
    ASDA's Dual Brand also has one - HDMI, £29, free HDMI cable

It seems unclear whether or not all these models are simply clones of one another, but any additions to this list and opinions upon them would be most welcome. I am NOT interested in the upscaling capabilities of any of these models. I have just waded through this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528212

and the last thing I want to do is start a debate as to whether or not any of these models scale better than built-in scalers on particular models of iDTV's. There are a ton of people, like me, who have displays that don't accept RGB scart, whether they have projectors or HDTV's without freeview built in, and simply need an STB with a better output than composite, be it HDMI or component, and there should surely be a list of those available in a forum like this, outlining EPG quality, the dreaded channel change delay, and any other issues.

Cheers.
  2. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,188
    Thanks for your comments. While it's a good idea on the fact of it, the problem is, there are 1,001 matters, like this one, that could be argued to warrant a sticky. In fact, I'd guess that the population of members here whose display won't handle RGB is actually quite small. It's (kind of) true of ONE of mine, but in that case I'm wholly happy with the results from SVideo - something that most STBs (and most displays) support.

And any comments about EPG quality (and other similar issues) are bound to be subjective.....
  3. bradavon78

bradavon78 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    While HDMI on Freeview is nice I'd much rather save my HDMI for something much more worthy. Unless these Freeview models upscale which I seriously doubt they will, even if they do the upscaler is bound to be really, really basic one.

In reality RGB Scart on a standalone Freeview box is fine, these are cheap pieces of equipment that really cannot take advantage of HDMI. Even if they can and do upscale I'd much rather have a PVR.

The Wharfedale DV832HDMI is £12 more at Argos over the same model without HDMI (DV832B), just to add HDMI. £35 for a Freeview box is expensive when for not much more you can get a PVR! The only way I'd still want standard Freeview is if it was built into a TV.