Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI CEC between different brands (e.g. Sony & Samsung)

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by evandermeulen, Jul 7, 2008.

1. evandermeulen

evandermeulen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if the HDMI CEC standard means that all the units that have it (like Sony with Bravia Sync and Samsung with Anynet+ I think) can interoperate?

Their sites always say "..when used with a <insert own brand here>..." as opposed to "...when used with another device with HDMI CEC"

In particular I'm thinking of the following setup:

Samsung LA40A650 LCD
    Sony STR-DG920 AV
    Sony PS3

Would these work via one remote? If not, can one get some kind of universal device to operate them? Apologies, I'm a bit of an A/V noob :)

Thanks!

Regards
    Eugene
  2. holzer

holzer Member

Ratings:
    +8
    the ps3 shows no sign of cooperation with my panny plasma...

you could get a universal remote, like a logitech harmony (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=gb,en). i think you can get far better results in the end with those. after all your tv remote is probably not up to all functionality of the other devices...

won't work on the ps3 though, those use bluetooth instead of ir remotes :suicide:... i'm sure logitech will come up with something sooner or later though
  3. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,232
    The PS3 requires something like this to work. I use one myself (just be aware of firmware 2.40 issues which are well documented) and it's great and coupled with a decent remote such as the Harmony One (see remotes forum for details and discount code).
  4. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    " ... I was wondering if the HDMI CEC standard means that all the units that have it (like Sony with Bravia Sync and Samsung with Anynet+ I think) can interoperate? ... "

It's supposed to be a universal standard. But Sony is notorious for trying to impose its own (patented) standards, in this case to force users into buying its products.
  5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Yes.

No, CEC has nothing to do with IR remotes per se. You'll still need a universal remote. CEC is for device-to-device control, to permit "one-button" functions, for example switching the TV to the correct input for watching a DVD and negotiating the correct video mode.

CEC is also nothing new, other than the acronym. It is the HDMI implementation of its prior SCART implementation (AV.Link, standardized by the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. kellersw

kellersw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got off the phone with a Sony rep and he told me that the Sony HDMI-CEC (Bravialink) will only work with Sony products. I specifically asked if my samsung tv remote would be able to talk to my sony reciever via HDMI-CEC and adjust the volume. He said no.

It looks like Onkyo's receivers are compatible with Samsung's HDMI-CEC (anynet)

Any other opinions out there?
  7. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    I thought it was Bravia Sync & this was only the ability to turn associated Sony Devices On & Off. ie If you turn your Sony DVD player On then the Sony TV will also turn On. There was Smartlink but that was SCART orientated.

This feature would not prevent me mixing brands if one component by another manufacturer was perceived "better".

Interoperability of remotes does not seem to be an inbuilt feature of Bravia Sync but merely the ability to switch On & Off other compatible Sony linked devices.
    Last edited: May 4, 2009