1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI CAble.....what do have to avoid and loook for?

Discussion in 'HDMI Cables & Switches' started by xulak1, Apr 2, 2007.

1. xulak1

xulak1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am about to buy the pioneer av696 dvd player to compliment my sharp 42xd1e. I want to of course connect it with HDMI. I will not bother to buy it ovr the internet.....but rather from here locally. Any idea what elements i need to keep an eye for. like it as t be a 1080p cable....and what gimmics i should avoid to save money! my local agent here has cable ranging from GBP10 to GBP 150. ...please advice..:confused: :suicide:
  2. Brogan

Brogan Active Member

Ratings:
    +492
  3. xulak1

xulak1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, do you know if this cable takes a 1080p signal? it doesn't quite say on the specs. 10x again
  4. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,160
    I don't think it makes any difference. The HDMI cable is the same whatever you're sending. In the same way a 21 pin SCART can send RGB or S-Video. 1080p is down to what you have at either end.
  5. Mylo

Mylo Member

Ratings:
    +397
    The best advice I have, is make sure the cable is not too long or inflexible for your needs.
  6. xulak1

xulak1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks a lot.......what do you mean by too long? is 10ft too long?
  7. druidvideo

druidvideo Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Use the shortest run possible but build some slack into your lengths incase you move stuff around. I havent seen that many truly budget 10m HDMI cables.
  8. leon

leon Member

Ratings:
    +64
    it does not make a difference in length 10m etc. its a digital signal so the length is not the issue .the longer the cable more chance of say emf signals getting in a making the signal worse. pay as much as you can on longer length as its the shielding that will keep is as good as the sorce .
  9. Brogan

Brogan Active Member

Ratings:
    +492
    That is not correct.
    With longer length cables, the original signal degrades to the point where the sink (display) is unable to reproduce the original image.
    The length at which this occurs depends on the cable, the source and the sink.

External interference can be a factor but degradation of the signal is the biggest problem with longer cables.
  10. pauloregan

pauloregan Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the advice. Bought the 2.4m HDMI cable from Play.com tonight.
  11. bighfishing

bighfishing Member

Ratings:
    +157
    do play.com still do the 1.2mtr version because i cant find it.