1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMi cable in-line repair and connector replacement

Discussion in 'HDMI Cables & Switches' started by kiwifraser, May 28, 2008.

1. kiwifraser

kiwifraser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

We have just completed a house re-build and hdmi cables were routed throughout the place (behind plaster/ between floorboards/ through brick walls/ etc). 2 are working as planned, as was the third cable... until a screw went through it when the floorboards went back down. As you can imagine, I am gutted.

When the cable is used between the SkyHD box and the TV, we DO have a picture (albeit with some green interference patterns on screen), but the sound has gone.

There is no way of pulling the cable out to replace it, so we are now watching it via the single aerial cable we ran with it so we could use a magic eye to change channels.

Given that the majority of the individual cables inside the sleeve must still be connected to enable a picture at all, does anyone know who might be worth contacting to try an inline repair of the damaged ones???

Other options I thought of were cutting the cable and terminating it directly into a splitter/ amplifier/ coupler, or trying to get the end replaced using the toby.co.uk part (See the post below).

I really need to get some advice on soldering and repair (and am very prepared to pay for someones expertise) so I am hoping someone out there knows their stuff!

Cheers
    kiwifraser

2. kiwifraser

kiwifraser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With all this expertise, surely someone knows something about this???? Even if I can get a name of someone who could give it a go, its possibly better than the solution I have at the moment :)
  3. Monkeyman67

Monkeyman67 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can you provide a few more details on how you did this. I managed to basically pull the end connector out of the housing. Needless to say when I push it in again it doesn't work.

Thanks
  4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Member

Ratings:
    +696
    If you don't get a reply, check posts from Mark Grant as I seem to recall he posted a link for a similar part that could be used to repair a broken cable end.
  5. Member 213491

Member 213491 Member

Ratings:
    +104
    hmmm... can you tell me the brand of the HDMI Cable?
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Hello kiwifraser

Given the right circumstance and a very skilled technician you may be able to make an 'in-the-field' repair - though I'd hate to be the person trying to solder the 19 cores of an HDMI cable to a 10mm board that's under your floor.

You may find someone willing too give it a go - though be prepared to not get a successful result - HDMI is not designed for in-the-field repairs.

This is a recent Quote on CE Pro from HDMI Licensing, LLC marketing director Steve Venuti.

Field-Terminated HDMI Cables

Installers are dying for a way to terminate HDMI cables in the field so they can vary the cable links for neat, effective installations. “It's not gonna happen,” Venuti says. “The bandwidth is so huge, and the tolerance for mistakes is so small, it's just impossible.”

Joe
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Member

Ratings:
    +177
  8. swin70

swin70 Member

Ratings:
    +17