1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable - damaged or too long?

Discussion in 'HDMI Cables & Switches' started by Timmos1983, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This weekend I have ran an HDMI cable up through the ceiling from my living room into my bedroom, using a splitter so that I can plug it into any of the components downstairs and watch them/play them upstairs. I have used a 10m cable. Before I installed everything, I checked that there was no loss of quality due to the length. It appeared not, so got underway routing the cable. Now it is all plugged in, set up and pinned to the walls etc, I am getting a flickering white on the tv upstairs.

Is this due to the length of the cable? And when I tested it I was just lucky!? Or have I potentially damaged the cable in some way? Does pinning a HDMI cable to a wall (tightly) have an effect on the data that can be passed through it? I tried it without the splitter and this was a lot worse! So the amplifier in the splitter did seem to improve it.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated guys as I was trying to watch a bluray upstairs last night and it did get quite frustrating!!

Is there an easy fix, or have I got to dismantle everything that the cable is routed through to put a shorter cable through? (having now routed it, I could go down to a 7.5m
    HDMI cable)

Thanks in advance.
    Timmos
  2. Chuff

Chuff Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Having tested it pre install to find it working and then installed and found issues I would initially look at was has changed in that sequence of events. From your post it sounds like the "pinning" of the cable is the only difference.

Unpin and retest, if the same fault then yes I would suggest you may have damaged it in someway. You should be ok with a cable upto 15m anything over this without a repeater then you would start to see some performance issues.

I have a couple of 15m cables that work fine for me.
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,759
    You definitely don’t want to ‘tightly’ pin any cable (let alone HDMI) to your wall!!!

You may get away with unpinning the cable but you may have caused irreparable damage to the cable.

Joe
  4. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn it. That's surely got to be it then hasn't it. Best pick up some trunking on my way home then hadn't I? Un-pin the cable and try it again. Thanks for your advice guys, fingers crossed I haven't caused too much damage.

How about bends in the cable? Is a sharp bend likely to effect the data being passed through?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Yes – gentle curves are the order of the day with HDMI cables; the longer the cable they generally get stiffer/fatter.

Joe
  6. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bullocks. I hope I havent damaged the cable. It took me hours to dismantle the built in wardrobe so I could feed all the cable behind it.
  7. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,759
    We’ve seen a few that have been damaged by builders getting a bit OTT with the staple gun!

I’d always advise against stapling and instead use Velcro straps (or similar) where possible.

Joe
  8. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may have been a little heavy handed with a hammer... Whoops :facepalm:
  9. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've unpinned it all an straightened it out where I can and there is no change. I'm guessing the combination of a cheap (£8) 10m HDMI cable and some rough handling has had it's toll.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced 7-10m HDMI cable?

Thanks
  10. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,759
  11. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't staples, it was proper cable pins, they where actually for coax cables though, so it was a tight fit in them... Using staples is mental.
  12. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, another point, the data from my virgin Hd box is fine. No flickering at all that I've noticed, it's just when I use my ps3 for games or blurays etc.
  13. HDC Techie

HDC Techie Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +215
    The data rate/bandwidth of information flowing through the HDMI cable for Virgin (1080i or 720p) is significantly less than for a Blu-ray.

It is quite possible that the long HDMI cable can no longer accomodate the bandwidth required for 1080p content.

This can be down to damage or or poor manufacture and testing from the start.

A HDMI repeater + short HDMI cable at the end of the troublesome cable run has a chance of resolving your issues.

HDMI Repeater/ HDMI Extender

There is also a wallplate option.

HDMI Wall Plate with Repeater
  14. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Did you originally test with the PS3 at 1080p?

Joe
  15. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Ratings:
    +568
    Joe makes a fair point. If it works with your cable box at 720P or 1080i you might simply be able to drop the PS3 down to the same resolution and find it works OK

To be honest I find the difference between 1080P and lower resolutions to be very subtle and not worth worrying about that much
  16. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did actually, and it did work fine for the 5-10 mins I tested it for, no white flickering at all. This was tested in my bedroom before the fixing of the cable to the wall. I'm pretty sure I've damaged the cable to be honest. Just gonna have to get a new cable, but I think I will upgrade to a better, slightly shorter cable at the end of the month and route it all through again. I really don't think I should have any problems with a 7.5m cable.

It may well be worth trying that though. How do you drop the ps3 resolution out of interest?
  17. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Ratings:
    +568
    From memory its settings > Display

Alternatively from standby you can press and hold the power button and it will reset the display settings and guide you through setting them.

I have 2 TVs that can display my PS3 via a matrix switch, with a 10m cable to the second TV. I'm running 1080i because one of my TVs is not full HD. Originally I started changing the settings when using the 1080P TV but to be honest most games run at lower resolutions anyway and even with blu-rays the difference while there isn't very large so I just leave alone now.
  18. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buddy.

Well... Even the virgin picture is flickering quite badly now and I haven't even touched the cable since it was working! Might try changing HDMI ports on the tv.... :confused:
  19. Timmos1983

Timmos1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well having now used some cheap looking trunking (will be hidden when curtains are fitted anyway so not a problem) and tidied up the HDMI cable, it was all over the place and I suspected that with it being cheap it was getting a lot of interference from all of the components. The virgin is now working fine. I tried the ps3 and although there was a vast improvement, it still did flicker every so often. So I tried reducing the display output to 720p max and that has done the trick! Its only a 23inch tv so the picture quality difference is minimal. Thanks guys for all your help! The problem has now been sorted, without the need for a new HDMI! I'm happy!
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011