Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD87 Iris Noise

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by pablored, Dec 8, 2012.

1. pablored

pablored Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hopefully someone can provide some advice.

I have just got a new Optoma HD87, upgrading from a HD65. I am having an issue with the dynamic iris, or at least I think I am. It makes a pretty harsh mechanical type noise when there is a dark scene shift and there is a brightness pulse along with a bit of a colour flash. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue. My paranoia imagines the iris impacting on the colour wheel some how.

I have dropped to iris level - 3 and changed to dynamic black - off. But I still get noise when there is a change of res, as if the settings don't apply for everything.

What kind of noise level should I be expecting from an optoma iris? It is beyond a hard drive click?

Pointers appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.
  2. pablored

pablored Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After further play I think my initial symptom list is a little incorrect. I had been switching a lot of input sources and endlessly changing resolution. I fixed my media player to stick to 1080p and watched a couple of films without issue, even when changing the iris settings. There was no mechanical noise linked to light level changes. The iris is completely silent in normal running as far as I can tell.

So my only question is, when changing resolution/source, does a typical HD87 make a mechanical noise (something like ccccck, cccccck) as it opens/closes the iris/does something with the lens?

I should add that the image is truly beautiful.
  3. alpha10

alpha10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    It is quite normal, the iris opens fully and then goes back down to where the fixed iris setting is, so as you have it set right down to 3 it will be going all the way, both ways. Try setting the iris fully open and you will hear a much shorter duration noise.

The HD86/87 is a very undervalued projector, I still have not seen a 2D projector I would want to swap for!

Cheers
  4. alpha10

alpha10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Just to add, you should find Dynamic black 1 to be very good now with the latest firmware, no flicker or anything, so give that a try.

Cheers
  5. pablored

pablored Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

Just to double check, I have recorded the sound (file will only be up for 24 hours):

Iris sound

It is not the most interesting of MP3s. Sound occurs at 0:11 and 0:22.

My firmware is 1.11, is that the latest? The iris performance does looks to be pretty good. I was half expecting it to be like some of the plasma tech I have seen, but it is certainly better than that.

Watching movies is fine as the res change happens once at the start of the session and once at the end (the default image from the receiver is lower). If everything stays at 1080p there is no issue, just a stunning image. Elsewhere, it gets a bit annoying with the PS3 switching back and forth depending on the game/OSD. On the plus side, no input lag for gaming that I can sense.

I am actually just at the start of the RMA process, as Optoma labelled my description for investigation/repair. I was just filling out the form and pondering whether I needed two, one for the lens and one for the unit. However, I don't really want to send the unit off for a week to have it come back the same.

Thanks.
  6. alpha10

alpha10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    1.11 is the latest firmware. I cannot listen to the clip on my work PC, but will listen later at home. To be honest I am sure it is fine, the noise was a bit odd for me coming from an HD72i, but you soon get used to it and don't notice any more. In film it is silent which is all that matters.

Cheers
  7. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Agreed - you can get them now for just over £1000 - an absolute bargain!
    All the talk of reality creation/e-shift 1 and 2 etc to gain extra sharpness but these Optoma's are just naturally sharp - no jiggery pokery required :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Do you think £1000 for a hd86 would be a better buy than a hc5000 for £400, or a hd350 for £700 ish?
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    I don't know much about the hc5000 but imo yes. We all have different rooms and requirements though but I loved the hd87 when I had it- a well mastered blu ray looks incredible on it. There are a few threads on it if you want to read more. Canary jules made a good one and I made one too so plenty of info if you fancy a read about it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Interesting thanks!

The 350? How would that compare?
  11. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    The 350 will have a more film look to it whereas the 87 will be sharper (a bit like the difference between 720p and 1080p) even though both are 1080p. Hard to describe any other way.
    The 87 will also handle motion better. Black level will be similar but the 87 needs dynamic iris to get good blacks whereas 350 doesn't. 350 has motorised lens, 87 doesn't.
    Both do a great job, you just need to think about functions you might use and what image qualities are most important. My personal choice would be 87 but that's not saying it's the best of them all, just my preferred choice personally.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    It was a 86 for 1k not a 87?
  13. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    87 on eBay for £1199 and taking offers?
  14. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    £1170 86?
  15. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Not sure if this will work as I'm using my phone..

http://*******/T1QqbM

Clearly not, item no 140878324881
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    No not seen that!!

He wont come down below £1180
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012