Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO’s Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Potatoe Farmer, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potatoe Farmer

Potatoe Farmer Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Violence, sex, and an awesome story! It is FANTASY, but its so believable and gritty it will make you sweat, cry, and gasp in shock!

As a fan of the books, i thought i would start a thread for the new TV show which im sure will be something we are all talking about in 2011 and beyond!

Game of Thrones is HBO's planned adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy book series. In Jan. 2007, HBO purchased the rights to author George R. R. Martin's book series. Since that time the show runners, David Benioff and Dan (D.B.) Weiss, have been working with HBO to adapt the books for television. They have also been consulting with the author to ensure the TV series remains as true to the books as possible. The plan is for one book to translate to one season. For more info about the series, be sure to check out the FAQ.

A Song of Ice and Fire is an ongoing fantasy series by American author George R. R. Martin. Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, GRRM has seen his series grow in popularity with the most recent release landing on the New York Times bestseller list. The books follow several powerful families as they struggle to gain control of the throne, all while an evil, supernatural force gathers on the outskirts of the kingdom. The thing that makes these novels unique among fantasy is their gritty realism. Heroes can fall, villains can triumph, those you though were good can turn out to be evil, those you thought evil can turn out to be good. And while there are magical and fantastical elements present in the series, they are rare and regarded as fairy tales by most characters. The series is expected to last seven books, four of which have already been published. The author is currently writing the fifth book and hopes to complete it soon.

At present the filmed pilots show are being shown to HBO, and im praying it gets the GREENLIGHT!!

For more info go to the following website: WINTER IS COMING!

http://winter-is-coming.net/

any other fans of the books out there??

SEAN BEAN is NED STARK!!!! Its going to be so good....... Fingers crossed!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Battle

Battle Active Member

Ratings:
    +500
    Love the books, just wish he would get his act together and finish the next one - its been over 5 years now !!

Oh dear, Sean Bean couldnt act his way out of a wet paper bag, poor casting choice for Stark.
  3. hedrock

hedrock Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the heads-up. I used to really enjoy George R R Martin's earlier novels, but I'd not known about these. I'll start buying the books which will hopefuly restore my faith in him.
  4. Kelltic

Kelltic Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    The series has been greenlit by HBO. Shooting to start in June here in Northern Ireland, with spring 2011 slated as airing date :thumbsup:
  5. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,823
    First Promo Image

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mossym

mossym Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    funny how one imae can make you very interested in a show with never having read the books...thanks guys
  7. mrapbp

mrapbp Active Member

Ratings:
    +183
    HBO dont make a lot of crap so this should be good!
  8. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,823
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,823
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. mckee74

mckee74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    Have to say thanks for that. Can't say I've ever heard of this, but darn it does look good. Might have to look into picking up the first book.
  11. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10,269
    Do it, the books are brilliant. :smashin:

Can't wait for this series.
  12. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,013
    I need some new books so going to pick this up and Pillars Of The Earth

Any idea when this might be out ?
  13. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    2011, spring I belive
  14. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    I have just started reading this so far so good a really enjoyable read as you say it's nice & gritty it should make an excellent series.

Still no offence to Mr Bean but he's not how I pictured Eddard Stark (still you never know, as he grew on me as Boromir in the extended versions of LOTR) & after reading this post I'd better take it slow with the books has i hate waiting.

Thanks for the head's up.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  15. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Anyone who hasn't read these books.....do it, they are amazing but prepared to be shocked. Martin has a habit of ripping the rug out from the readers feet when you least expect it...

As for the series, I really hope it's successful - aside from anything else, George R R Martin will have a studio to answer to and they won't accept the last one to be finished in 10 years time.
  16. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,823
    Game of Thrones - 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark Addy as King Robert

[​IMG]

Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Baratheon

[​IMG]

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie Lannister, a knight and a brother of the queen

[​IMG]

Sean Bean as Lord Eddard Stark

[​IMG]

Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark (left) and Kit Harington as Jon Snow

[​IMG]

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen

[​IMG]

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

[​IMG]
  17. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Cannot wait. Been folowing RR martins blog about the progress of the show (just wish he would pull his finger out and start writing the rest of the books) and it looks like it won't dissapoint.
  18. tomneal626

tomneal626 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This looks incredible for a TV show. If the photos are anything to go by, each episode should be like a mini movie. Loving the cast (particulary Tyrion Lannister aka The Imp!)
  19. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Well since my last post of 15-09-2010 I am just about to start A Storm of Swords Part 2 Blood & Gold.

It's been fun so far but I do find myself wondering just how much of the adult content HBO will keep in this series? After all even Martin's says "this is fantasy for adults" if we went by the book it would be like watching Spartacus with children in the starring roles!!! still i am looking forwards to the show, nice casting so far.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  20. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +440
    Well if HBO past history is anything to go by shouldn't be a problem with the adult content. The Sopranos, Deadwood etc.
  21. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,823
  22. Bogside

Bogside Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Looking forward to this show.

Though Martin is so far behind on the next volume of the book (it was due in 2008/9) that the TV show will probably catch him up. .
  23. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Hopefully it might give him a kick up the arse because if this is successful, HBO will not accept him "not finishing it". The problem I can see is that the TV series will come first :(
  24. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    What is the first book in the series called? Wikipedia has listed 5 books but in no particular order.
  25. Battle

Battle Active Member

Ratings:
    +500
    A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings
    A Storm Of Swords Part 1
    A Storm of Swords Part 2
    A Feast for Crows
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Potatoe Farmer

Potatoe Farmer Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There is talk of the first episode showing in April 2011! I really cant wait!

It does seem like HBO are taking this very seriously, lets hope they can retain the seriously dark adult content, and not remove or tame it, so that the show can be aimed at a wider audience in order to make more money.

Here is an extract from the "winter is coming website" about the young actor who is playing Arya.

A delightful post from Bryan Cogman today over at Making Game of Thrones, where he talks about a day on set in Malta. They are filming scenes from Episode 8 that take place in the Red Keep, with the presidential estate of San Anton Palace doubling as the Red Keep. After narrowly avoiding a flooding disaster, we get this amazingly awesome anecdote from the set:

Today’s work features Arya Stark (Maisie Williams). As always, she’s in terrific form. And here’s an exchange I witnessed which should illustrate why she’s such a joy to work with. Dan Minahan is working with Maisie on a bit of action involving Arya’s prized blade (Needle):

DAN: Wait, are you left-handed or right-handed?

MAISIE: Well, I’m right-handed. But Arya’s left-handed.

My eyes widen. Indeed, Arya is described as left-handed in George’s books. I just assumed we had lucked out and found an actor who happened to be left-handed. But, no! Upon further investigation, I discover Maisie expressed early on that she wanted to learn her sword fights left-handed to honor the description in the original novels. She’s already shot a sequence involving some complex choreography that would challenge any actor, not to mention one not using her favored hand. What a kid!
  27. pringtef

pringtef Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Take it that's Samwell Tarly?

:laugh:
  28. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +440
    I'd guess so.:D
  29. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    I know nothing of the books but the teaser trailers and shots have got me really interested in this. I haven't found a TV show that's i've enjoyed for a while so hoping this is good. Anyone know if the UK will be getting it soon after the US??
  30. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,823
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.