Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have sound but no picture

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by TEAL, Jan 30, 2011.

1. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Way back in Feb' 2009 OWS90 put me on the right track to solve my problem with sound no picture. Now having same problem but this time with a added VHS unit connected.Units i have are Panosonic tv TX-37LZD 80 & pANOSONIC DVD DMR-EZ28 EB & sky+ box and finally Orion VHS.The vhs is scart connected to the Sky+ box at vhs socket. When i select AV3VHS on the tv and dvd nothing happens but switch AV1 and get sound but no picture. The vhs i have on AV whilst doing this. If i connect by scart direct from the tv to vhs all is ok but for reasons i want to record from the sky box. Can any one help please.:lease:
  2. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +585
    Exactly how have you connected the units with SCART cables?

I'd suggest:

VHS AV1 (TV) to TV AV3 in {check AV3 isn't set to RGB in}
    VHS AV2 (DECODER) to Sky+ AV2 (VCR) {to record Sky on VCR AV2}

Sky+ AV1 (TV) to DVD-R AV2 IN {to allow DVD-R to record in RGB on its AV2 if set correctly}
    DVD-R to TV AV1 (RGB input)

OR You may just need to toggle the AV inputs on the Panasonic via AV and the coloured buttons ... AV3 may cycle RGB/S-Video/Composite. {Use AV2 instead?}
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rodders53, afraid you lost me when you say about tv av1 to tv av3in. However this is how at moment it is connected, TV AV2 -DVD AV1-DVD AV2-Sky+ tv scart-Sky+ vcr-VCR in.On the tv menue i have
    Scart control on
    Video Output RGB
    On the dvd menue
    Power save off.
  4. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +585
    Sorry, but I couldn't make head nor tail of your connections description?

What I was suggesting is:
    Connect the VCR's TV scart (usually AV1/L1 but might be different - Sony use L3 for the TV on one recorder) to the TV set's AV3 input - but I now realise your TV may only have two Scart sockets ---- so use AV2 on the TV.

The Sky box scart will route through the DVD-R scart to AV1 on the TV.

This will allow you to monitor (see and hear) the VCR-selected source by selecting AV2 of the TV.

AV3/VHS on your TV set is likely to be via a Yellow, Red and Black 'phono' socket set on the front rear or side of the set.... it can't display anything unless something is connected via those sockets.
  5. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again , will try tomorrow when wife has finished with her soaps.
  6. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having tried the connections several ways now to all no avail so what am i doing wrong.
    Toshiba VCR
    VCRTVscart to Tv AV3 via red/yellow/ white cables
    VCR satscart to TV AV1
    Sky+ TV scart to DVD R av2 ext
    Sky+ vcr scart nil connectto anything
    DVD R AV1ext scart to TV AV2.
    I can play a recorded vcr tape by going to AV3 connection
    but cannot record anything.
    The TV and DVD R are Panosonic so is there anyone can help me on this please, is it my settings as i do not really know what they should be on . Many thanks if you can help.:lease:
  7. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Can you tell me the model number of your VCR.

Normally it would be possible to both record and play with just one scart connection to the TV ... and you effectively have two.... but it does depend on your VCR having the input ability on its output scart which not all do.

That issue aside, I would probably advocate not using the TV throughput for recording purposes as it ties up the TV to do so.... I'm assuming here that what you are trying to do is record onto VCR from Sky+ ... If so, it would be perhaps better to direct record so that you could set away a recording and watch something else if you wished to.

You could achieve that by taking the scart that currently occupies TV AV1 and plugging it into the Sky+ VCR scart socket.

With such an arrangement it should be possible to select AV3 on the TV and see the VCR's output.
    If you then select AV2 as the source on the VCR it should then be possible to see the Sky+ output... and thus for it to be recordable on the VCR.

Beware with multi-connections like this that when you make a status change such as switching on sky+ it probably 'steals' the TV channel and will switch the TV to AV2 input... so if you are wishing to monitor VCR output you may need to manually switch the TV back to AV3.

Note also that because sky+ is a recorder in itself, when a timer recording is set on it, it does not provide an output for recording elsewhere. It records internally. Thus programmes must be recorded on it and transferred later if saving elsewhere.

All that said.. this is not the way I would connect the devices.
    I would do it in simple linear chain fashion. Sky+, VCR,DVDR, TV ... but whether this can work at best quality [ for those that need it or can deliver it ] depends on the capabilities of the equipment... and the Toshiba VCR may be a weak link here.
  8. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Gavtech, the vcr is model numberV-709B . am now going to try your method , will let you know .Thanks.
  9. TEAL

TEAL Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gavetech, at last finally got recording etc .Your bottom paragraph is how i have got it, the only differance is that to get back to Sky+ i have to go to TV AV1 AND av2 gives blank screen, no big problem really , however the picture is not very good it seems to have what i call ghosting /shimmering effect, would this be the VCR as you said?. One of the things on the Panosonic i cannot get to grips with is under Input Label heading, i am sure this is one of the problems i might have what do you think?.Anyway i am much obliged for your help.